80's Honda VF Interceptor cam oiling (lack of)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prob shouldn't start this...no time, but BITOG is very addictive.

I have three 83' VF750F Interceptors (x1 operational, x1 project, x1 parts bike) & one 86' VF1000R (f'ng awesome machine). All have unfortunately become "mouse motels" as I've not ridden them in three years.

The oil in the two riders is M1 MX4T & has +-1000mi w/oem filters...last changed in 1998
31.gif
27.gif
The gas was never treated & subsequently, the carbs are surely plugged up.
33.gif

Also, there's some corrosion on select (most) aluminum items.
frown.gif

Chastise me if you must, but know that I sigh sadly each time I open the shed. I have the desire to reclaim my bikes from the mice & thought I'd throw the subject out for "what I'd do if I were you" observations. The tires are of course untrustworthy & both batteries are shot. Also - there's this other thing...my main concern & the reason I used my bikes so infrequently & eventually forgot abut them. The cam thing.

Some years ago I performed considerable research on the issue of & remedy for the poorly designed camshafts & cylinder heads that plague most pre 86' VF/V4 Hondas. I even replaced a moderately chewed up set of cams in my 83' VF750F (@ less than 10k mi) w/an updated design (sealed ends & outlet orifices in the lobes) sourced from an ex-race bike...purchaed for the paltry sum of $100. The set of x8 brand new rockers was several times that $$$. I never got around to taking the next step...likely a more important one...of modding/rerouting the (external) oil lines that feed the heads.

If here are any old farts here who own a 82-86 VF/V4 Interceptor, Magna or Sabre (& are aware of the cam issue), have you:

• Purchased & installed a VF top end oiling kit?
  • Made your own kit, out-souring a custom CNC OF adaptor?
  • Ran SS braided Teflon hose or brake line from the HP oil supply in the main oil gallery?

For those interested persons who have no idea about what I'm referring to (all of you who're still a ways away from being an "old [censored]"), Googling "VF oil" or "V4 oil" or either of those w/"mod" (?) will bring up reams of info on this subject. Some of the better material is from Robyn Landers, a Canadian dude who's gone to great lengths to share an immense amount of VF knowledge on his "V4 files" site.

Here's a couple of links:

80's Honda Intercetor rebuild GREAT PHOTOS!

Robyn Landers V4 files No end of info here.

I have an 86 VFR700F that has not had an oil mod done, and I see no ferrous particles on the magnetic drain plug. Unless you're seeing it, I wouldn't worry about it.

I believe every VF manuf aft 85 had line bored cam bearing surfaces. This is alleged to have cured problem...at least for those who don't abuse their engines.

Your VFR & my 86' VF1000R are probably immune to the cam malady. Though there's some conflicting data out there regarding transitional engine designs that had line bored cams, but still had poor oil pressure suppling the heads. I don't know when Honda 100% fixed the problem. It's been awhile since I was really hot on the trail.

I recall that they had an issue with camshafts that weren't hardened properly.
And the issue showed up mostly in the V-65 units.
Synthetic oil may have mearly postponed the problems from showing up.

Yes, poorly hardened cams too...icing on a cake Honda took out of the oven a little too soon. The funny thing is that even with so many design flaws, most of those early V4's ran (& continue to run) very well. Were it not for contentious owners taking their machines in for PM, or doing their own valve adjustments (no easy task) &/or sending their oil out for analysis (which in most cases revealed only marginally high levels of chromium & other ferrous metal), most of those scored cam lobes would have gone unnoticed.

My VF750F ran fine before I pulled the valve covers at 10k to adj the valves. Discovering chewed up cam lobes was a real shocker...unfortunately there was no way I could ignore it. I still have the old cams & rockers...along w/the parts bike I threw em' into. I understand the cams can be reworked/welded & hardened...no telling who might need them - maybe even me!

I'm very hesitant to pull the old girl out of hibernation w/o performing the oil mod. I'm sure the carbs will have to come off for a fluff n' fold anyway - a major PIA that will have those cly head oil lines staring me in the face.

The question is, do I; remove the engine to drill & tap the main oil gallery, then fab up some ss braided hose (VERY time consuming & will doubtlessly lead to other undertakings)...or buy a ready made OF adaptor kit, which if still available, runs $300 or more.

I used to own both an '84 VF500 and an '87 VFR700. I loved both of those bikes for different reasons. The 500 had a noisy valve train which I suspect was a symptom of the problem although I never experienced any actual running problems. The second generation V4 engines, like the VFR, fixed the problem with a completely different valve train design.

Regarding what to do, I'd definitely fix it in some way. I've read that the oiling mod sort of masks the issue(s) (as mentioned already) which lead to the wear.

AN Plumbing sells all kinds of hose and fittings so you can make your own lines http://www.anplumbing.com/shop/index.php

I'm not sure all the details on how to pick up the oil but I'd be hesitant to spend $300 for a kit if you can make your own for less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back