737 max... what now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by edyvw
To use your own words, you could have copied and pasted this from any number of websites.
The problem is that it doesn't pass the common sense test in any way.
So Boeing knowingly cut corners and released a known unsafe plane in the hope that it could sell a few hundred examples before anyone caught on?
What's their exit strategy?
Boeing can't sneak off in the night like the unscrupulous guy who did your new driveway last year that's now spalling to pieces.
Boeing also has other more profitable if lower volume models that it needs to deliver to the world's airlines.
Boeing, like Airbus lives on its reputation. If either were to gain a reputation for offering potentially dangerous aircraft, then that airframer would suffer a loss of business across its line and would ultimately cease to exist as a supplier of commercial transports.
Boeing has built a solid reputation going back to well before Airbus even existed.
Boeing also knew going in that WN was about as likely to buy Airbus as it is that the sun would rise in the West tomorrow morning while AA (really US) along with the rest of the world's airlines have no way collectively of having their replacement and expansion needs met through Airbus alone.
That Boeing made a horrible mistake that cost lives in it's implementation of a system intended to provide for increasing yoke pull effort at high angles of attack where there might otherwise be a reduction in the pull force required is inarguable.
To claim that Boeing knowingly did so is foolish and demonstrates a complete ignorance of commercial realities.
WRT the FAA, that entity has long relied upon manufacturer's people for technical insight and advice.
Were it to be otherwise would require that the FAA possess the technical knowledge of both the airframe and powerplant makers, IOW that it be a virtual shadow designer of both. This has never been the case and never can be, despite the pretentions of the NTSB to the contrary.

Boeing would not be the first or last huge company where hubris took over common sense. What was exit strategy of VW? What was exit strategy of GM? What was exit strategy of MD?
Didn't they charge $80,000 warning light that AoA is not giving right data? Didn't engineers for years warn that new airplane has to be developed due to inherit problems of B737 design? Their strategy supposed to be new design, swallow biter pill, which would be anyway flushed out by Uncle Sam. They cannot loose as much money as USAF can order C17's.
There is no exit strategy here. The fact that CEO is still in the job indicates bigger problems in Boeing. Constant compalints by Air Force regarding KC-46 and complaints by other in regard to B787 tell that issues are far deeper than just MAX.

What engineers were warning for years that Boeing had to develop a new airframe due to inherent problems in the 737 design?
The NG has a safety record at least as good as the single aisle Airbus, so I'm not sure what problems you're bringing up.
Too short gear making fitting higher bypass engines difficult, a legacy of the seminal 737-100 design?
Sure, but other than that and the rather cramped and dated cockpit, there's not much wrong with the basic design, which has truly stood the test of time.
Boeing's main failing was in designing what was intended to be a completely transparent system in a way that could allow potentially deadly erroneous operation and not adequately documenting this potential to the crews who would operate the aircraft. Had the accident crews been warned about the potential problem, they might have recognized it when it happened and saved their aircraft, or maybe not. Knowing about any disagree between the two AOA vanes would probably not have been useful to the crew, but MCAS could have and should have been inhibited under those conditions, but then everything is so obvious in hindsight.
The comparisons with VW are inapt, since VW came up with what is a very obvious but ingenious way of cheating on the EPA emissions cycle tests never expecting to get caught. MD was merely too cheap to develop any clean sheet designs after the DC-10, which began life as a Douglas project anyway and had a very good run with DC-9 developments over many years. The MD-11, no more than a DC-10 development, had its problems, but there were operators that had the type in passenger service for years with no issues at all. MD's exit strategy was obviously a merger, with Boeing inheriting a lot of MD management in the process. Not sure what you're referring to in the case of GM. If you mean their continual race to the bottom in product, the exit strategy is obvious. If you mean the deadly ignition switch defect, then their exit strategy was the same. A pre-packaged bankruptcy law filing bankrolled by all of us taxpayers with the equity we got sold back to GM at a below market price.
Complaints about the 787? I doubt there's anything serious from any of the operators, since they're taking them up just as fast as Boeing can deliver them. There have been some engine problems, but Boeing doesn't run RR. It is of some concern that the root cause of the battery problems was never really determined with the rather unsatisfying solution consisting of a containment vessel.

Originally Posted by fdcg27
Originally Posted by edyvw
To use your own words, you could have copied and pasted this from any number of websites.
The problem is that it doesn't pass the common sense test in any way.
So Boeing knowingly cut corners and released a known unsafe plane in the hope that it could sell a few hundred examples before anyone caught on?
What's their exit strategy?
Boeing can't sneak off in the night like the unscrupulous guy who did your new driveway last year that's now spalling to pieces.
Boeing also has other more profitable if lower volume models that it needs to deliver to the world's airlines.
Boeing, like Airbus lives on its reputation. If either were to gain a reputation for offering potentially dangerous aircraft, then that airframer would suffer a loss of business across its line and would ultimately cease to exist as a supplier of commercial transports.
Boeing has built a solid reputation going back to well before Airbus even existed.
Boeing also knew going in that WN was about as likely to buy Airbus as it is that the sun would rise in the West tomorrow morning while AA (really US) along with the rest of the world's airlines have no way collectively of having their replacement and expansion needs met through Airbus alone.
That Boeing made a horrible mistake that cost lives in it's implementation of a system intended to provide for increasing yoke pull effort at high angles of attack where there might otherwise be a reduction in the pull force required is inarguable.
To claim that Boeing knowingly did so is foolish and demonstrates a complete ignorance of commercial realities.
WRT the FAA, that entity has long relied upon manufacturer's people for technical insight and advice.
Were it to be otherwise would require that the FAA possess the technical knowledge of both the airframe and powerplant makers, IOW that it be a virtual shadow designer of both. This has never been the case and never can be, despite the pretentions of the NTSB to the contrary.

Boeing would not be the first or last huge company where hubris took over common sense. What was exit strategy of VW? What was exit strategy of GM? What was exit strategy of MD?
Didn't they charge $80,000 warning light that AoA is not giving right data? Didn't engineers for years warn that new airplane has to be developed due to inherit problems of B737 design? Their strategy supposed to be new design, swallow biter pill, which would be anyway flushed out by Uncle Sam. They cannot loose as much money as USAF can order C17's.
There is no exit strategy here. The fact that CEO is still in the job indicates bigger problems in Boeing. Constant compalints by Air Force regarding KC-46 and complaints by other in regard to B787 tell that issues are far deeper than just MAX.

What engineers were warning for years that Boeing had to develop a new airframe due to inherent problems in the 737 design?
The NG has a safety record at least as good as the single aisle Airbus, so I'm not sure what problems you're bringing up.
Too short gear making fitting higher bypass engines difficult, a legacy of the seminal 737-100 design?
Sure, but other than that and the rather cramped and dated cockpit, there's not much wrong with the basic design, which has truly stood the test of time.
Boeing's main failing was in designing what was intended to be a completely transparent system in a way that could allow potentially deadly erroneous operation and not adequately documenting this potential to the crews who would operate the aircraft. Had the accident crews been warned about the potential problem, they might have recognized it when it happened and saved their aircraft, or maybe not. Knowing about any disagree between the two AOA vanes would probably not have been useful to the crew, but MCAS could have and should have been inhibited under those conditions, but then everything is so obvious in hindsight.
The comparisons with VW are inapt, since VW came up with what is a very obvious but ingenious way of cheating on the EPA emissions cycle tests never expecting to get caught. MD was merely too cheap to develop any clean sheet designs after the DC-10, which began life as a Douglas project anyway and had a very good run with DC-9 developments over many years. The MD-11, no more than a DC-10 development, had its problems, but there were operators that had the type in passenger service for years with no issues at all. MD's exit strategy was obviously a merger, with Boeing inheriting a lot of MD management in the process. Not sure what you're referring to in the case of GM. If you mean their continual race to the bottom in product, the exit strategy is obvious. If you mean the deadly ignition switch defect, then their exit strategy was the same. A pre-packaged bankruptcy law filing bankrolled by all of us taxpayers with the equity we got sold back to GM at a below market price.
Complaints about the 787? I doubt there's anything serious from any of the operators, since they're taking them up just as fast as Boeing can deliver them. There have been some engine problems, but Boeing doesn't run RR. It is of some concern that the root cause of the battery problems was never really determined with the rather unsatisfying solution consisting of a containment vessel.

VW i very comparable to Being. VW did not think they will get caught. Did Boeing think MCAS of 2.4 degrees will be an issue? Did they think that disagreement between two sensors is useless? That is bold statement, but I would say it is big f.... deal.
B787 issues are around quality control, it is well known issue, I am not referring to RR.
And yes, I am talking about short landing gear and larger engines. It is the key in what happened. The aerodynamics of the plane are changed, behavior is changed etc. I think is is ridiculous even to mention how reliable 737 was, but there comes the time when things cannot be reengineered constantly. Boeing introduced 787, did not tried to reengineer 767-400. Airbus tried that with A330 but companies wanted new product, so they got A350. I think ultimately undoing of 737 was attempt to please AA and SW. Yes, this will be resolved, but I would not be surprised if Boeing goes with new plan in this category in 10-15 years.

They need to start over with a new plane. The 737 cockpit is a MISERABLE place to be for 7+ hours. It's not even big enough to slide the seat back and stretch your legs out fully if you're somewhat tall. It was never designed for flights that long in-mind.

Reliability seems excellent though.

Originally Posted by E365
They need to start over with a new plane. The 737 cockpit is a MISERABLE place to be for 7+ hours. It's not even big enough to slide the seat back and stretch your legs out fully if you're somewhat tall. It was never designed for flights that long in-mind.

With flights that long I think additional crew are needed. Do 737's fly for seven hours straight?

Since you seem to be a pilot your feedback will be appreciated.

I've been hearing that Airbus is nervous about this whole situation because if Boeing is forced into a clean sheet design, then Airbus themselves will have to dispose of the A320 NEO and invest in a clean sheet design. The fear being that with ground-up training, staging, etc. needing to be done by all airlines seeking either clean-sheet design, once the large fortune and time was invested the only result would be contracts up in the air which Airbus would have to compete with Boeing for, and late to the game at that.

Basically, if Boeing goes clean-sheet, the chessboard will officially be flipped over.

Any thoughts on that?

Originally Posted by PimTac

With flights that long I think additional crew are needed. Do 737's fly for seven hours straight?

Boston to Seattle gets flown on a 737. That's scheduled for around 6:30 gate-to-gate (aka "block" time). A little delay and you're around 7. I've done over 7 hrs block in a 737 a few times. Add another :30 sitting in the cockpit before the flight setting things up and your butt can be in that seat pretty close to 8 hours.

Two-pilot crews are able to go up to 9 hrs block time in a duty period.

I think some airlines even use 2 pilots flying NYC-Europe in 757/767s and such (eastbound, with the wind) because they can keep it under 9 hrs. Other airlines forbid it in their union contract.

I don't know the specifics, but I'd assume versions of the 737 MAX are capable of >7:30 hour block flights. Brutal

Last edited:

Boston to Seattle gets flown on a 737. That's scheduled for around 6:30 gate-to-gate (aka "block" time). A little delay and you're around 7. I've done over 7 hrs block in a 737 a few times. Add another :30 sitting in the cockpit before the flight setting things up and your butt can be in that seat pretty close to 8 hours.

I think some airlines even use 2 pilots flying NYC-Europe in 757/767s and such (eastbound, with the wind) because they can keep it under 9 hrs. Other airlines forbid it in their union contract.

I don't know the specifics, but I'd assume versions of the 737 MAX are capable of >7:30 hour block flights. Brutal

Well, I cannot imagine Boeing not having MAX answer to A321 XLR. That would allow routes from NYC or Boston to: Prague, Budapest, Zagreb, Dubrovnik, Sarajevo, Belgrade, possibly Sofia, Athens. That will be brutal for crew. I have a friend that flies 757 and 767 on European routs, and he even hates 757 due to small rest compartment. Cannot imagine 737 in era of cramped seats having proper rest compartment.

After flying 5 hours of Euro business class in an A321 NEO … my answer is find a wide body offering
Too bad they can't code share better to get more B787's and A350's on medium haul …

Business class on a narrow body is generally a misnomer.

It's all relative though. I've spent 16 hours on flights in the back end. The body does protest when trying to unbend.

Originally Posted by 4WD
After flying 5 hours of Euro business class in an A321 NEO … my answer is find a wide body offering
Too bad they can't code share better to get more B787's and A350's on medium haul …

Whenever I go to Europe, I make sure I avoid 757, even if that means additional layover.

Boeing has already been at work on a new single aisle.
It'll be in service in less than ten years.
Boeing is well aware that the 737 frame has reached its limits of stretch as well as bypass ratio. The longer variants end up with quite high landing and takeoff speeds dues to the impossibly shallow rotation limits that the short gear allows.
Boeing designed the 737 for a different world than the one it's now operated in. Airbus designed their single aisle much later and recognized that it made sense to optimize it for fully equipped airports, not the little milk run whistle stops the 737-100 was intended to be easily capable of, just like the early DC-9. The single aisle Airbus has therefore always been more easily stretched and could easily accommodate larger fan higher bypass ratio engines.
I suspect that Boeing is well aware that it needs to continue to develop new aircraft. To merely develop the existing designs leads to the same slow death as a commercial builder that MD experienced. MD developed the DC-9 well beyond what the Douglas people would have anticipated, but the end of the line did come.
Actually agree with you on the 757. An aircraft with exactly the same interior width as the 737 is not a comfortable choice for a long flight, plus the 757 is simply too long if you end up in the back. Takes forever to deplane.
We personally really like the 767 as well as the A330 for such flights. With an A330, you can typically snag a pair of seats at the windows. The A340 is becoming a rarity while the pax 747 in quickly disappearing.
Most 777 and 787 aircraft have an extra seat stuffed into each row these days making them a great deal less comfortable than they once were.
Of course, if someone else is bearing the cost or you can snag a cheap upgrade, it matters little what type you're on.

Boeing has already been at work on a new single aisle.
It'll be in service in less than ten years.
Boeing is well aware that the 737 frame has reached its limits of stretch as well as bypass ratio. The longer variants end up with quite high landing and takeoff speeds dues to the impossibly shallow rotation limits that the short gear allows.
Boeing designed the 737 for a different world than the one it's now operated in. Airbus designed their single aisle much later and recognized that it made sense to optimize it for fully equipped airports, not the little milk run whistle stops the 737-100 was intended to be easily capable of, just like the early DC-9. The single aisle Airbus has therefore always been more easily stretched and could easily accommodate larger fan higher bypass ratio engines.
I suspect that Boeing is well aware that it needs to continue to develop new aircraft. To merely develop the existing designs leads to the same slow death as a commercial builder that MD experienced. MD developed the DC-9 well beyond what the Douglas people would have anticipated, but the end of the line did come.
Actually agree with you on the 757. An aircraft with exactly the same interior width as the 737 is not a comfortable choice for a long flight, plus the 757 is simply too long if you end up in the back. Takes forever to deplane.
We personally really like the 767 as well as the A330 for such flights. With an A330, you can typically snag a pair of seats at the windows. The A340 is becoming a rarity while the pax 747 in quickly disappearing.
Most 777 and 787 aircraft have an extra seat stuffed into each row these days making them a great deal less comfortable than they once were.
Of course, if someone else is bearing the cost or you can snag a cheap upgrade, it matters little what type you're on.

Boeing engineers are well aware of what you saying.
As for 757, it is not length and deplaning per se. It is time when you have to brush teeth before landing etc. and there are no enough bathrooms to do it in relatively short period of time. My favorite on European routes was/is A340-600. Reason for that are numerous bathrooms below deck. You get nice stretch going down, there is galley (at least in Lufthansa) where you can stand get some drinks. I always tried to flew with Lufthansa as they used those from ORD, EWR, IAD, CLT. When I lived in Montgomery, AL it was convenient connection to CLT with US Airways. Now, I think they use A330 from CLT since AA is there. After that, B777, just bcs. of raw power of those GE engines
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
The MAX was always intended as a stop-gap to give Boeing something fully competitive with the NEO.
Boeing originally planned a brand new plane in this space but time constraints made the MAX a necessity were Boeing to have something to compete with the NEO in operating economics.
Airbus folks predicted correctly that Boeing would have to build a re-engined NG in the near term simply because Airbus could so easily re-engine the A320.
The new single aisle Boeing is under development and I suspect that its unveiling in the next couple of years will be a surprise to all players.
Meanwhile, the MAX will be returned to service and will be delivered in a few thousand examples with the current travails and the two awful fatal crashes relegated to disappearing sights in the rearview.
I don't mean to sound callous, but that's how things work.
After all, it virtually rained airliners up through the early eighties and people still booked flights every day.
An accident involving a MAX with an American or EU carrier might have been another matter, but that didn't happen for various reasons none of which involve dumb luck.

I know someone who flies the bigger Embraer. They go all over the place including Canada and Mexico. I'll have to ask him what the comfort is like up front. He is about 6 feet 1".

The 190's I have taken are nice little jets … 1-2 upfront … 2-2 in the back with screens ...

The MAX was always intended as a stop-gap to give Boeing something fully competitive with the NEO.
Boeing originally planned a brand new plane in this space but time constraints made the MAX a necessity were Boeing to have something to compete with the NEO in operating economics.
Airbus folks predicted correctly that Boeing would have to build a re-engined NG in the near term simply because Airbus could so easily re-engine the A320.
The new single aisle Boeing is under development and I suspect that its unveiling in the next couple of years will be a surprise to all players.
Meanwhile, the MAX will be returned to service and will be delivered in a few thousand examples with the current travails and the two awful fatal crashes relegated to disappearing sights in the rearview.
I don't mean to sound callous, but that's how things work.
After all, it virtually rained airliners up through the early eighties and people still booked flights every day.
An accident involving a MAX with an American or EU carrier might have been another matter, but that didn't happen for various reasons none of which involve dumb luck.

The new plane is Middle of the market, a replacement for 757, not 737.

Originally Posted by 4WD
The 190's I have taken are nice little jets … 1-2 upfront … 2-2 in the back with screens ...

190's are pretty nice, but that new Canadair or now A220 is really good. I flew it once from Paris to Zurich and once Zurich to Sarajevo, and it is neat little jet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back