7 miles on oil....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Without pictures or SCR (Standardized Color References) this post might seem weak so I'll be brief.

Last oil change I used two oils to clean up my stash of quart bottles.

Mobil1 0W-40 European + Castrol 5W-40 USA. I was a quart shy so I cracked open a new jug of Castrol 5W-40.
I blame daydreaming and my "low resistance" funnel for overfilling.
The level on the dipstick was 1.5" over the FULL line. I checked it after running a 7 mile errand.
No biggie; I drained the oil into my thoroughly cleaned catch tray and reused it.

I was amazed at how much darkness the oil picked up in that short run.
It looks brand new on the silver dipstick however.

That's all......except that I'll back off calling for grease monkey's heads when members post about overfills.

There is a small quantity of old oil laying around the engine after the oil is drained. Considering it is probably jet black, I dont think i would be surprised if it colored the oil slightly. If it is a diesel, they will darken the oil very quickly. If you re-used the filter then i certainly would not be surprised.

What kind of vehicle was it and what engine?
Did you reuse the filter?

Why would he need to take filter off?
He overfilled about a quart or so thus would need to drain that much only. The drained excess oil can then be used for top offs if need be or at next oil change.

7 miles Hmm,
I would get a UOA just in case.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Kira
Without pictures or SCR (Standardized Color References) this post might seem weak so I'll be brief.

Last oil change I used two oils to clean up my stash of quart bottles.

Mobil1 0W-40 European + Castrol 5W-40 USA. I was a quart shy so I cracked open a new jug of Castrol 5W-40.
I blame daydreaming and my "low resistance" funnel for overfilling.
The level on the dipstick was 1.5" over the FULL line. I checked it after running a 7 mile errand.
No biggie; I drained the oil into my thoroughly cleaned catch tray and reused it.

I was amazed at how much darkness the oil picked up in that short run.
It looks brand new on the silver dipstick however.

That's all......except that I'll back off calling for grease monkey's heads when members post about overfills.

All you need to do is loosen the oil pan bolt and let 1-1/2qts release slowly. I have a six cup measurer to catch oil, or pour with it.

Last edited:
The oil probably looks dark looking down into the oil container with no backlight, on the dipstick it has a reflective shiny silver surface behind it. I bet if you poured into a clear cup, it would look more amber than brown/black.

The car is a 2007 Volvo V70 base, 2.435 liter 5 cylinder and YES, I didn't involve the oil filter.

I didn't think to merely crack the drain plug to let my approximate quart out.

Coincidently, a sample of this service drain was sent in for my first UOA. I can hardly wait.

It's common for used oil to appear dark when draining or inside containers, where there is some depth to the quantity of oil being viewed. But the same oil on a shiny dipstick looks fairly clear. I always go by the color on the dipstick. And remember that oil color does not necessarily indicate service is due.

No biggie. It was mixing with the residual oil in the engine. It's very common for motorcycle and outboard manuals to list two refills. Normal oil change (say 2 qts) and refill after complete disassembly or overhaul. The volumes are usually about 10% different.

After seeing this enough times, I just assumed that most engines retain about 10% in nooks and crannies, galleries, etc. That could easily be enough to discolor new oil
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
Originally Posted By: Hammehead
You kept the filter for another oci, right?

Haha! This reply should be in the Humor section. Good one!

Scott

And you thought that funny for what reason?

Originally Posted By: rollinpete
7 miles Hmm,
I would get a UOA just in case.
lol.gif

I can see it now...

"Great numbers on this UOA, perhaps the best we've ever seen for this vehicle. Next time, run the oil for 13 miles!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back