7.3 powerstroke likes Amsoil HHD 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just changed over the wifes Excursion powerstroke to Series 3000 5w30 from the AME and the truck likes it a lot. Runs quieter than on the 15w40 dino or AME. I think the injectors behave better on it.

Anyone else notice this too?

I am in the middle of an extended drain test on the 5W30 HDD in my 01 7.3 PSD. I just sent in a 8K oil sample. Should have it in a week. I find more noise in the lower end with this oil, but the injection noise is the same. I will know more soon.

cheers.gif

Vetteman what do here in the bottom end? My 6.0 is quieter with HDD. 15w-40 makes clicking and ticking which I guesss is the injectors. HDD seems to give my truck a quieter idle, a smoother idle and gives me slightly better MPGs. Maybe 1+ mpg. I have another 1000 miles then a resample to check for Na and K, if its all clear then I'll change back to HDD and quit crying about the price.

snoboy,

I have no complaints with the 5W30HDD. The HEUI injectors seem to run quieter than before with other oils. But the piston/crankcase noise appears louder. I know it is a diesel, but this oil makes it a louder diesel. The 7.3 can sure change noises depending on oil. I also think the 5W30 HDD is the best for the 6.0 from all indications. Quite a few of those engines just don't like heavy oil.

I have the 7.3, not familiar with the operation of the 6.0.

The 7.3 uses highly pressurized engine oil to actuate the fuel injectors. The pressure is controlled by the PCM. It would stand to reason oil viscosity would have some impact on the rate of fuel injection. Lower viscosity oil (than spec) may have the impact of advancing the injection timing somewhat, as at a given pressure it would flow faster, causing a sharper actuation of the injector. This could increase combustion noise-which I've noticed using Delvac1 vs. 15W-40, particularly on a cold engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back