6.4 hemi truck motor (silly srt oil requirement)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2017 Ram 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi engine calls for 0w40 and is pretty vague about recommending/requiring ONLY Pennzoil 0w40 SRT specific oil. This is not an SRT motor. The truck used quite a bit of oil in the first 5k miles on the factory fill. It was quite un-nerving to say the least. Almost a quart every 1200mi. The owners manual even has a section stating that high consumption is normal during the first few thousand miles while the engine breaks in. The oil consumption dropped of to a "normal" amount around 6K miles. I also changed the oil and used the far easier and 50% cheaper Mobil 1 0w40. Now I'm down to about a quart of consumption in the last 4K miles.

I understand the newest cars use more oil now than ever before. Dozens of videos of YT explain this blah blah blah low tension rings, DI, loose engine for fuel economy and long term durability.......... I don't really like it but the service manager stated to me that many people come in for oil changes that are 2-3 qts low. My friend has a Porsche Panamera and it uses a qt every 1k miles for the last 100k miles. My mom has a 2019 camry that uses 0w16 oil and it used a 1/2 qt on its first oci.

What I am worried about is not so much the consumption but the affect on the cat converter long term. What can I do to lessen the damage to the cat?

All of the 0w40 oils seem to be somewhat higher in zddp and phos. I want to keep using 0w40 but would like to hear from those much more in the know than I am.

Would the new dexos 2 0w40 m1 for the new corvette be better? Isn't dexos 2 supposed to better protect cats? Otherwise I am going to keep using the M1 FS 0w40 or switch to Castrol 0w40 or Pennzoil Euro 0w40.

Supposedly this engine was developed using 5w30 conventional so who the [censored] knows? I just wish it was easier than ordering a goofball "srt oil" from amazon when that oil may not be that good anyway.

Man, what a dilemma! I know it's a new engine and I know the Dodge V-8s tend to use oil. I wonder if Mobil 1 10W40 High Mileage would be okay?
Maybe a Kendall 10W40 Blend

Last edited:
The Dexo's label on a bottle of oil will do absolutely nothing to slow down oil consumption. It's just there for GM to say it's ok to use in their vehicles. You can look online or anywhere you want, and that the only info you will find. No special formula in the bottle, only the name on the label.,,

Originally Posted by Danno
Any oil you use does have to have MS-12633 cert to meet warranty requirements, if that is a concern.

Which essentially means he needs to use Pennzoil 0w40 SRT.

I had a 2012 Challenger SRT 392 six speed manual and put over 30,000 miles on it from new using either Mobil 1 or Castrol 0W-40. It never used a drop of oil between changes and I drove the snot out of it. Fiat has a contractual agreement with Pennzoil for all the cars in their lineup, from Ferrari to Fiat. I would use M1 or Castrol 0W-40 with confidence.

My 2017 Fusion 2.5 uses no oil in my normal 10K OCI. My 2007 Fusion uses about 4 oz of oil in a 10K OCI.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by Danno
Any oil you use does have to have MS-12633 cert to meet warranty requirements, if that is a concern.

Which essentially means he needs to use Pennzoil 0w40 SRT.

If it's using oil, and the cats die while in warranty, I would definitely use the cert oil.

Exactly. I see two branching paths. Use only the specified SRT 0w40 for any warranty issues like premature cat failure or plugs fouling. After the warranty, or if you don't care about the warranty, try Mobil1 HM 10w40 or Valvoline Maxlife 10w40.

I can't say any new vehicle I ever had used a drop of oil between changes. Only my old ranger and Acura integra both upwards near 200k but consumption was minimal.

I am going to experiment with other oils and see what happens. My guess is it will eventually stop using oil when it fully breaks in. I think the synthetic from day 1 is part of the problem. I know you can break in a motor on synthetic but it takes much longer. It is still too early to say much. It has only had one oil change and the consumption keeps going down.

I really hate BITOG. Life would be so much easier if I just lived like 99% of the population and didn't even check the oil. But thanks to this place I have to overly concern myself with stuff like this LOL

All my research shows the oil consumption to be in many newer engine designs. I've never had cars use oil before all that much but comparing the modern DI, enviro tuned engines, to other "older" designs means little. Almost all of the euro brands have quite a bit of complaints about oil consumption and those cars are far more advanced than a domestic sedan or a 20 yr old engine.

Originally Posted by milwaukee
I am going to experiment with other oils and see what happens. My guess is it will eventually stop using oil when it fully breaks in. I think the synthetic from day 1 is part of the problem. I know you can break in a motor on synthetic but it takes much longer. It is still too early to say much. It has only had one oil change and the consumption keeps going down.

I really hate BITOG. Life would be so much easier if I just lived like 99% of the population and didn't even check the oil. But thanks to this place I have to overly concern myself with stuff like this LOL

Try rotella t6 5w40

My 2017 Ram 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi engine calls for 0w40 and is pretty vague about recommending/requiring ONLY Pennzoil 0w40 SRT specific oil. This is not an SRT motor. The truck used quite a bit of oil in the first 5k miles on the factory fill. It was quite un-nerving to say the least. Almost a quart every 1200mi. The owners manual even has a section stating that high consumption is normal during the first few thousand miles while the engine breaks in. The oil consumption dropped of to a "normal" amount around 6K miles. I also changed the oil and used the far easier and 50% cheaper Mobil 1 0w40. Now I'm down to about a quart of consumption in the last 4K miles.

I understand the newest cars use more oil now than ever before. Dozens of videos of YT explain this blah blah blah low tension rings, DI, loose engine for fuel economy and long term durability.......... I don't really like it but the service manager stated to me that many people come in for oil changes that are 2-3 qts low. My friend has a Porsche Panamera and it uses a qt every 1k miles for the last 100k miles. My mom has a 2019 camry that uses 0w16 oil and it used a 1/2 qt on its first oci.

What I am worried about is not so much the consumption but the affect on the cat converter long term. What can I do to lessen the damage to the cat?

All of the 0w40 oils seem to be somewhat higher in zddp and phos. I want to keep using 0w40 but would like to hear from those much more in the know than I am.

Would the new dexos 2 0w40 m1 for the new corvette be better? Isn't dexos 2 supposed to better protect cats? Otherwise I am going to keep using the M1 FS 0w40 or switch to Castrol 0w40 or Pennzoil Euro 0w40.

Supposedly this engine was developed using 5w30 conventional so who the [censored] knows? I just wish it was easier than ordering a goofball "srt oil" from amazon when that oil may not be that good anyway.

No wonder the API/EPA keep lowering the ZDDP levels to 'preserve cats'. All these oil burners are "normal".

Originally Posted by bubbatime
Buys $70,000 truck, won't spend the extra $20 to buy the factory approved/certified oil. Sounds legit.

Bought $32K truck. before taxes. Crew Cab 4x4 tradesman

Legit? I don't really know what that means here.

Does the Acura or the minivan in your sig call for 5w30 or 5w20?

I've never had a new vehicle use any oil. I would be pretty sore having a new vehicle using that much oil. I don't care what the manufacturers say.

There are enough hemi engines, including the 6.4, that are having camshaft and lifter failures that you you might want to stick with recommended WT with the FCA certifications, esp during the warranty period.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Brigadier

No wonder the API/EPA keep lowering the ZDDP levels to 'preserve cats'. All these oil burners are "normal".

^^^^^^
Good point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back