5/32 too early to replace my tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are on the fence and have the money why not buy some new rubber? Some tires can lose their traction quickly when it gets down to that kinda wear. That being said if you have the money why not??

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Tires generally start at 8-10/32.

So yours are less than half worn.

Seems like a big waste to me. There will be sales next year.

40K BITOG posts and you wear 'em to bald in Jersey, eh? "Expertise" like this is why auto insurance is necessary.

If you can catch a sale next month, fine. Use the $50-$70 mfg coupons too. If not, I'd run them until 3/32-4/32, especially since it's mostly rain in your region. Tire aging due to heat/UV exposure varies by regions. You're in a lower exposure region. From what I've read, most tire manufacturers suggest no more than 6-10 years for tire life. I think most of them tend to be on the low end of that range. It really depends on the tire, your use, your region, etc. Some tires age faster than others. No different than car batteries. Someone living in south Texas won't have the same tire life as you do.

At 5/32", rainy performance should be fine but snow can be iffy. During winter storm Jonas, my all seasons were at 4-5/32" and the car was sliding around on partially plowed roads.

Down here, we hatv a dry season Oct to April (6 or 7 months with little rain). I'll drive a bit longer on tires when I know rain is limited. I will put new rubber on in the spring before the rainy season starts back up. If i lived in Arizona I would get 90K miles out of a set of tires.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
...If i lived in Arizona I would get 90K miles out of a set of tires.

I suspect the sun kills tires fast in AZ, probably before one can accumulate the miles.

Krzys

Michelin claims their newest tires are safe to use down to 1.6mm (2/32").

http://www.tyrepress.com/2017/09/new-primacy-4-a-concrete-demonstration-of-michelins-1-6mm-strategy/

Quote:
Michelin has said a lot in recent times about when a tyre should be replaced. The French manufacturer advocates tyre use down to the legal limit of 1.6mm, provided the tyre continues to deliver the safety it should. Presenting the new Primacy 4 at the IAA, Michelin stated that this product, developed over a period of three years, provides “a high level of performance on wet roads, from the first use until worn to the legal wear indicator (1.6mm).”

Originally Posted By: khittner

40K BITOG posts and you wear 'em to bald in Jersey, eh? "Expertise" like this is why auto insurance is necessary.

Good catch. Most tires I've ever seen start at 10/32's. Sometimes 11/32's. Never really seen any at 8/32's, at least for passenger cars. But if we were to give him the benefit of the doubt, if he meant 8/32's, then 5/32 is still about half worn, but that would take wear down to 2/32s. But if you take 10/32's, then yeah, less than half worn means worn out takes you down to the cords.

at 5/32 you are fine cautiously driving(in rain) if its spring/summer or dry

if you have any snow.. I'd have no issues replacing at 5/32 you will thank yourself later when you dont bounce off a guardrail or curb in the winter.

This post hits home so I thought I'd add to the topic.

Just bought from Rockauto 4 TPMS sensors and 4 Cooper All Season from the DTD - EBay- $50 Rebate found posted here ( Thanks !) on BITOG. The vehicle is a 2008 Honda CR-V AWD with 50K having the same Coopers purchased. This Spring when it received its annual oil change and maintenance, I measured the tire tread depth nearing 4/32ds. This vehicle now driven solely by my MIL now gets barely 5K mileage per year in the Lake Placid, NY area where the winter can be harsh. Since the vehicle has the original TPMS, with no problems yet, I thought at the time of installation new sensors should be installed.

4 Cooper tires 225 65R17 after rebate just under $300. TPMS with kits $82. Install with balance about $80 equals some peace of mind that the MIL may not be stuck in a snowbank sometime this coming winter.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: khittner

Good catch. Most tires I've ever seen start at 10/32's. Sometimes 11/32's. Never really seen any at 8/32's, at least for passenger cars. But if we were to give him the benefit of the doubt, if he meant 8/32's, then 5/32 is still about half worn, but that would take wear down to 2/32s. But if you take 10/32's, then yeah, less than half worn means worn out takes you down to the cords.

Michelin and others are pushing a shorter initial tread depth in passenger tires, for better mileage and handling. I guess with new rubber compounds, they get wet grip without tall squishy blocks and sipes and so tread depth makes little difference until aquaplaning is an issue.

5/32 is fine for dry driving, light rain, and no heavy rain/puddles/snow.

My tires are at 4 to 5/32 and I will be replacing in the next month.

I don't look at 5 32nds as being 1/2 tread. Considering that 10 32nds is where most tires start and 2 32nds is the legal limit before replacement is needed.

That means that you have 8 32nds of usable tread right? So then, 6 32nds is actually the true half way point.

And for myself, where I replace my tires by 4 32nds...7 32nds is my half way point.
Gee, this doesn't give us much tire life when you look at it this way does it?

I thought fully worn out was when you wore though the rubber under the first set of belts? That is where they hide the super secret sticky rubber.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: scurvy
Originally Posted By: WhyMe
So is 5/32 too early to replace them?

They are your tires, you can replace them whenever you like.

However, 2/32 is extremely low for wet weather traction - too low for my tastes. I don't like them getting below 4/32 for anything but dry, hot weather.
2/32" is the wear bars right?

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I don't look at 5 32nds as being 1/2 tread. Considering that 10 32nds is where most tires start and 2 32nds is the legal limit before replacement is needed.

That means that you have 8 32nds of usable tread right? So then, 6 32nds is actually the true half way point.

And for myself, where I replace my tires by 4 32nds...7 32nds is my half way point.
Gee, this doesn't give us much tire life when you look at it this way does it?

First I'll say it doesn't really matter, as everyone can justify their own thinking so don't take this personally.
smile.gif

But I spot a problem with the logic that you laid out: the tire doesn't wear at the same rate throughout it's lifespan. The first bits of treadblock wear a lot more because of the squirm. The last bit of tire hangs on there for a much longer time.

Last edited:
Good Point! I understand what you are saying and it's a good reply...Thanks!
However, I find that as the tires get past(what I'd call 1/2 tread), they just don't do well in foul weather...

...yeah I know, I should run winter tires but, I haven't in 45 yrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back