4L80E build

It has the Reluctor....Your good! I've seen people, Even experienced trans builders put 4wd Output Carriers in 2wd transmissions & pull their hair out trying to figure out why it won't shift out of first gear
confused2.gif

Sonnax sells the reluctor to make 4wd carriers work....Heat it with a MAPP torch & slip it on! For future reference.

You will need a Bushing Driver/Tool & either a big Arbor Press or a Hydraulic Press to service the center support bushing. I've seen some beat them in & out with success.

This is a TH400....Same premise but the bushing is a little shorter than a Center Lube 4L80E!

This is a tool made by the OP....P10crew, Thanks again brother! I had a similar one made out of aluminum but I wore it out over several years & countless bushings. It supports the entire length of the bushing.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That tool looks awesome. I definitely won't have time to get one of those lol. Need to get this together this weekend since I have to tow the Vette to an event in Houston next weekend.

I've got a hydraulic press, but I guess I'll have to see what I can get together for the press tool...

Hmmm. So I found the cause. The shims in the planetary somehow got destroyed. Can you explain how if I used the output shaft thrust washer above it. None of those should've movedunless I screwed up during install..

[Linked Image]

Figured it out. It was that the thrust washer in my old planetary had 2 tangs. The planetary only had 2 locating holes in it. The "new" one has 4. I test fitted it and there's no way the shims can move out of place and into the gears.

Got the fussy thing back together. Drives well. Has all gears. And is silent. Rear end play was 4 thou (rollerized output). Reaction end play about 8 thou (hard to measure). Front end play 9 thou.

Please stay silent.....

[Linked Image]

This is increasingly frustrating that it seems to keep developing wear.... Hopefully this time it lasts. I was talking to other transmission builders who claim checking the reaction carrier end play is useless and that they never check it. Lol. Seems sketch, but if I had no shims under the thrust washer, it might still be going
wink.gif

Anyone think having the cooler over cooling the transmission is a problem?

The tru Kool 40k keeps my temps on the highway around 90F in the winter, and 120ish in the summer. At stop lights or really romping on it, it'll hit 160 in the summer. This last build I was on a trail trying to get up a steep hill with rocks (low speed, lots of stalling thanks to 3200 rpm stall converter) in 80F weather and it hit barely 200F but cooled off quickly once I started moving again.

Rip me. Apparently I am doing something wrong because in <500 miles, that [censored] noise is coming back. I give up. Time to cave and give it to a professional. I have no idea why it keeps eating planetaries. 3 sets, same noise every time. Goes away for a bit but ways comes back.

Well bummer!
Did you get the $50 video from the dude in Georgia.
It's nowhere near as in-depth as blueprinting. But there is no way that CLine can see what exactly we are doing and I'm sure it's something simple that you are missing. If I were you i'd make the 18 minute drive to CLines.
The beauty of having the video is there is no way to misstack it.

Last edited:
If Cline is willing, I'd love to pay him to go through it and tell me what stupid thing I keep doing, because this is driving me crazy. Lol. I got back from my track weekend, the noise isn't full blown Loud, yet. But it is there...

Quite frustrating because I've rebuilt 5 manual transmissions and never had an issue. There's a video series on YouTube I've been using as my guide for the stack up with the factory rebuild manual, so I don't feel like I'm screwing the stack up by order...

I've got another event in about a month I need to get things ready for now lol

Last edited:
New guy to the post.

On the tail end of my 4L80E build and I've got to say, this is an extremely well detailed thread!!

I opted to go for the transgo kit myself as it was recommended by my builder but we'll see how it holds in the long run. I'm at the point right now where I need to hone the stator bushing to clearance it for my billet input shaft.

Anyhow, keep the info coming!

Welcome. Hopefully you have better luck than I.

Chris was nice enough to tear my trans down and look for the source of my noise. Found some worn bushings I couldn't replace myself so hopefully that's it
smile.gif

Trans is in the truck and I'm wrapping up the cam swap. Should have it driving this weekend and then I'll tune it. I put a turbo cam with ported heads on it.

Hello,

Any chance someone here could answer a simple question? I'd appreciate it greatly..

When applying air to the rear band with the servo cover and gasket in place, will the output shaft turn by hand on the bench? I believe it should but looking to make sure.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by velocitygear
Hello,

Any chance someone here could answer a simple question? I'd appreciate it greatly..

When applying air to the rear band with the servo cover and gasket in place, will the output shaft turn by hand on the bench? I believe it should but looking to make sure.

Yes, The Output Shaft will still turn because the Low Reverse Band holds the Reaction Carrier not the Output Carrier, The Low Roller Clutch also holds the Reaction Carrier in one direction.

I appreciate the reply.

"The Low Roller Clutch also holds the Reaction Carrier in one direction."

which would only be noticeable if you were trying to turn the shafts on the inside of the trans during build up?

Back