40,000Km update - 2016 Grand Cherokee SRT

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
So, I've owned the GC since November 24th, 2016. almost 2.5 years.

Since owning it there have been only two issues with it:

1. How rapidly the big front brakes wear out (it's on it's 2nd set)
2. A bad body ground which caused some increasingly bizarre issues and also resulted in the alternator being needlessly changed at the dealership

Figure that now would be a nice time to do an update on how it has aged, how it performs, and criticisms.

We'll go over the positive stuff first:
- 475HP on tap with deep gearing backed by the glorious ZF 8spd. Comes out of the hole like a bear and never fails to impress with visceral acceleration. In Sport or Track, it hammers off the gears briskly and with great enthusiasm. Each shift is fast and firm, it's an amazing gearbox.
- Fantastic interior. The leather-covered dash, suede headliner and pillars, leather/suede door surfaces, quality feeling HVAC and other manual controls have, thus far, aged well. It has no squeaks or rattles and the seats are excellent.
- Fantastic factory stereo. It has the Harman-Kardon 19-speaker system which is exceptionally good for a factory offering. Paired with the excellent UConnect system, it's really a great setup.
- Very good sound deadening. No real road noise, but you can certainly hear the engine note. Pretty good balance
- Headlights (factory auto-levelling HID's) are very good
- Engine uses no oil between changes
- Towing performance is excellent
- Capability in snow is truly amazing. With the electronic locking rear diff and AWD system, it will paw through a remarkable amount; certainly well past the ground clearance of the vehicle.
- The brakes are utterly incredible. Everything else feels so under-braked once you drive something with big Brembo's.

Now for the negatives:
- Audible presence of the MDS system. Due to how loud the exhaust is, you can readily hear when the MDS engages
- Vibration from the MDS. Along with the sound, you also get a vibration when the MDS comes on at low RPM's. This was not noticeable on the Charger and isn't on our RAM. It's not a factor at higher RPM points.
- Right-rear passenger seat, the clips that hold the cover on keep coming loose under the seat. I'm tempted to put a zip-tie on them, as they aren't broken, they just come off
- When in "Auto" mode, if you drive it in a civil manner, it gets "lazy" feeling and will start out in 2nd gear frequently
- Backup camera gets obscured with dirt/debris easily. Be it snow or rain, this is a frequent occurrence.
- The amount of brake dust it produces is appalling. You can't keep the front wheels clean.

As I remarked in another thread, there appears to be a break-in process with the factory exhaust, which is essentially a big open pro-chamber style muffler that has no baffling with a couple of straight-through resonators in the rear. The matting used in these eventually compresses with use (I believe it's just like a stainless SOS pad type material) and it's surprisingly loud. The factory piping is extremely generous in diameter with an excellent layout. I can't see an aftermarket system providing anything other than more sound
21.gif
It's extremely well-routed: tucked up and not hanging down anywhere, despite the massive tubing. Being underneath it, it's a very well-constructed vehicle with pretty heavy-duty looking parts and, despite two winters, no signs of corrosion anywhere (yet).

Gas mileage for something with a 475HP V8, is, better than expected. It's driven like it should be, so in-town yields around 375Km/tank, you can get over 700 on the highway. The engine note at full-song is sublime, so I am quite sure the exhaust system design, which conveys that, is intentional.

My main concern is putting new summer rubber on it, as options in its size continue to be extremely limited.

Rather than a pic of it in winter mode, I'll provide one from back when it was with us in Kincardine visiting Bruce Nuclear:

7B210893-C437-4AE1-AA72-7E765F0AFF1B.jpg

I drive too much for this to make sense, but if I could have one as a second vehicle I would. Owned a 2010 JGC with Hemi and liked it when it wasnt deadlined in the shop. Older models with super low miles like yours did pop up on my "maybe..." list though, that power and the styling is nice!

Last edited:
Thanks for the review! I have never driven a GC but always found the interiors to be quite nice in some higher model trims of FCA vehicles.

Yeah, I want one! Unfortunately the excessive brake wear is just part and parcel of a big, heavy, powerful vehicle. I'd happily put up with it
smile.gif

So fuel economy wise, I know you quoted tank range city/highway, what's the actual l/100km figure?

For the MDS, I noticed on my Durango Citadel with the 5.7 I got a vibration and a noticeable switch over into and out of MDS when I changed the rear resonators to some Gibson's and changed the intake to a Mopar CAI.

As for the back up camera, mine also did that. I couldn't keep it clean to save my life. I think it's just the way the aerodynamics of both the Grand Cherokee and Durango are, it creates a huge low pressure zone around the liftgate so everything sucks into it. Even with the stock exhaust, I'd notice in winter if I got on it all the steam from the exhaust would be pulled up and obscure the rear window

Have had our 15 Overland 5.7 4 yrs, 50k no issues other than having 1 headlamp module replaced, one of the led segments turned blue. Also got a leather seat cover replaced under warranty. WK2s are the best midsize suv in all flavors, power train for everyone and every budget, best 4wd systems, nice interiors.

I know what your saying per the MDS on the 6.4, have the drone in my SRT Challenger at lower speeds, but will take the 27 mpg on the highway:)

Originally Posted by VNTS
Have had our 15 Overland 5.7 4 yrs, 50k no issues other than having 1 headlamp module replaced, one of the led segments turned blue. Also got a leather seat cover replaced under warranty. WK2s are the best midsize suv in all flavors, power train for everyone and every budget, best 4wd systems, nice interiors.

I know what your saying per the MDS on the 6.4, have the drone in my SRT Challenger at lower speeds, but will take the 27 mpg on the highway:)

They are nice, but once they're not new anymore, they will kill you with downtime and repair bills. It is a Chrysler product, and that's just life with those. If you have a reliable primary vehicle, or are a mechanic and don't mind, it's no big deal, but for people who need a reliable vehicle, not a solid plan on average (outliers exist of course). My 2010 JGC didn't have any issues with MDS. Seems they got worse as time went one. You had to look at the dash to see what mine was doing, it was so seamless. I really wish they were better vehicles in the quality department, or I'd buy a Chrysler in a heartbeat. Then, they wouldn't be as affordable with all that tech/options/features, because they would have to spend that money on using better material/QA/QC, so it's a pick-choose, ultimately, in my experience.

I do agree, the WK2 is a great SUV, I just wish it was a reliable SUV. Chrysler pushed me over to Mazda, and life has been much better.

That said, OP has an SRT product, and typically those get better material and QA/QC. I will be curious how it holds up once he puts some miles on it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Shannow
Ta mate, you've just activated my envy gland...

lol.gif
Thank you my friend.

Originally Posted by Ws6

They are nice, but once they're not new anymore, they will kill you with downtime and repair bills. It is a Chrysler product, and that's just life with those. If you have a reliable primary vehicle, or are a mechanic and don't mind, it's no big deal, but for people who need a reliable vehicle, not a solid plan on average (outliers exist of course). My 2010 JGC didn't have any issues with MDS. Seems they got worse as time went one. You had to look at the dash to see what mine was doing, it was so seamless. I really wish they were better vehicles in the quality department, or I'd buy a Chrysler in a heartbeat. Then, they wouldn't be as affordable with all that tech/options/features, because they would have to spend that money on using better material/QA/QC, so it's a pick-choose, ultimately, in my experience.

I do agree, the WK2 is a great SUV, I just wish it was a reliable SUV. Chrysler pushed me over to Mazda, and life has been much better.

That said, OP has an SRT product, and typically those get better material and QA/QC. I will be curious how it holds up once he puts some miles on it.

Your 2010 was a WK though I believe, correct?

I'm interested to see how it ages as well. I see a lot of WK2's around.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by Ws6

Your 2010 was a WK though I believe, correct?

I'm interested to see how it ages as well. I see a lot of WK2's around.

My WK had tons of issues. Rubber rotted out of it, making the axles hit the struts up front (no typo), had to replace both LCA's. The transmission leaked 2x, and I traded it off the second. Water pump died. N23 messed up my AWD and I had to replace the computer to fix it. Just...the list goes on and on and on, and it's not all design related, but sometimes raw materials (the rubber bushings that rotted out in 4 years, etc.). I really hope you have good luck with yours, but I'll never own a Jeep product again. Once was enough. Patients who are into vehicles tell me about them sometimes, too. So far noone who has had a WK2 had much to say other than "yeah, already on second transmission" and stuff like that. being as yours is an SRT product, I think you have a much better chance of it working out, but I'd warrranty the [censored] out of it !

Last edited:
Thank you for the very detailed report, OVERKILL.
They should hire you at a motoring magazine.
So descriptive.
LOL.
Once again, real nice sled.
Do you have any further comments on MDS ?
Do you still like FCA's approach ?
Also, I am surprised about the brake dust issue, aesthetically speaking,
given the color of your rims.
TY.

Originally Posted by Direct_Rejection
Thank you for the very detailed report, OVERKILL.
They should hire you at a motoring magazine.
So descriptive.
LOL.
Once again, real nice sled.
Do you have any further comments on MDS ?
Do you still like FCA's approach ?
Also, I am surprised about the brake dust issue, aesthetically speaking,
given the color of your rims.
TY.

I believe the noticeability of the MDS is directly tied to how the engine is mounted in this chassis, dampened, and the RPM point at where it is allowed to engage. While you can't feel it in the truck, you are significantly further away from the engine, and I question as to whether that aspect was properly accounted for either in the design, or programming. I'd also assume, though I could certainly be wrong, that the 6.4L in the SRT is more firmly mounted, which results in the vibration being more readily transmitting into the cabin. This could be easily mitigated by increasing the RPM floor necessary for the MDS to engage, as you only feel it "rumble" at very low RPM. But perhaps they were more concerned about a potential impact on fuel economy rather than the less-than-subtle feel of the system operating
21.gif
I drove a Durango with the 5.7L and the MDS was almost like it is in the truck, which is why I think mounting may be a significant factor.

Do I still like the approach? Yes. I have no complaints about the system itself. I feel the "issue" I'm experiencing is due solely to configuration, not any sort of deficiency.

On the brake dust issue: My M5 dusted pretty heavily too, and so did my Charger. The Jeep is heavier, the brakes thus have a shorter lifespan, and it of course then dusts even more. The massive amount of dust is, despite being annoying, a small price to pay for the braking performance it affords. The braking is utterly incredible and so while I complain, I'll gladly continue to have filthy wheels so it can stop like it does.

That help?

Audible presence of the MDS system. Due to how loud the exhaust is, you can readily hear when the MDS engages
- Vibration from the MDS. Along with the sound, you also get a vibration when the MDS comes on at low RPM's. This was not noticeable on the Charger and isn't on our RAM. It's not a factor at higher RPM points.

I can concur, there is no noticeable vibration when MDS comes on on my Charger. You do hear it, but it's not annoying or anything.

With that said, MDS on my car almost never engages. It will only come on when I'm putputting at 55 mph on a perfectly flat rural road, not when I cruise at 70-75 mph on the hwy. Actually surprising that FCA thinks this car can't sustain such speed running on just 4 cylinders.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Audible presence of the MDS system. Due to how loud the exhaust is, you can readily hear when the MDS engages

I can concur, there is no noticeable vibration when MDS comes on on my Charger. You do hear it, but it's not annoying or anything.

With that said, MDS on my car almost never engages. It will only come on when I'm putputting at 55 mph on a perfectly flat rural road, not when I cruise at 70-75 mph on the hwy. Actually surprising that FCA thinks this car can't sustain such speed running on just 4 cylinders.

It's WAY more aggressive than that on the Jeep, that's interesting.

Wonder if gearing is different. What are your RPMs and speed when you cruise on the hwy?

Wonder if gearing is different. What are your RPMs and speed when you cruise on the hwy?

Oh, I know it is geared differently. It has 3.70's in the pots, whilst I think the Charger has 2.62's? I'm at ~2,100RPM at 75Mph.

Oh, I know it is geared differently. It has 3.70's in the pots, whilst I think the Charger has 2.62's? I'm at ~2,100RPM at 75Mph.

Yeah, the Charger has 3.09 final drive.

According to an online gear speed calculator, you should be somewhere around 2,050 RPM @ 75 MPH, so that sounds about right.
My Charger is at around 1,800 RPM at that speed. Maybe when running on 4 cylinders at such low RPM the engine doesn't produce enough power to overcome air drag and rolling resistance at such speed?

Still, while it's 4 cylinders, it is 3.2 liters, so you would think it could handle it.

Yeah, the Charger has 3.09 final drive.

According to an online gear speed calculator, you should be somewhere around 2,050 RPM @ 75 MPH, so that sounds about right.
My Charger is at around 1,800 RPM at that speed. Maybe when running on 4 cylinders at such low RPM the engine doesn't produce enough power to overcome air drag and rolling resistance at such speed?

Still, while it's 4 cylinders, it is 3.2 liters, so you would think it could handle it.

My Jeep ran on 4 up to about 80mph, i forget the exact rpm but i want to say 2000-2200]. Its also not about handling it. Its about having to dump less fuel than 8 would require, and 4 loaded up can easily burn more than 8 on a more leisurely injector cycle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back