4 qts of this 4 qts of that

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should . Be a man. I couldn't help myself Subie, ton of fun in that picture..

Originally Posted by Reddy45
Don't do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why , don't do it?

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by Kruse
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
I never recommend blending different oils. The viscosity isn't the issue. The problem is base oil incompatibility and additive clash risks.
I'm not saying I'm a fan of mixing oil brands, but can you give us just one link where two oils clashed and bad things happened?

They won't cause damage if they are API listed oils, ASTM D6922 guarantees this. But at the same time the mixture may not meet any of the licenses, certifications or approvals on either container.

This !!!! But then the valuable UOA and VOA posting shows very little differences in the like rated oils. There are only a hand full of additive formulator companies on Earth.

Originally Posted by Kruse
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
I never recommend blending different oils. The viscosity isn't the issue. The problem is base oil incompatibility and additive clash risks.
I'm not saying I'm a fan of mixing oil brands, but can you give us just one link where two oils clashed and bad things happened?

They won't cause damage if they are API listed oils, ASTM D6922 guarantees this. But at the same time the mixture may not meet any of the licenses, certifications or approvals on either container.

That test only establishes that they are miscible, something I already mentioned. The tests of ASTM D6922 do not purport to establish any standard for additive compatibly.

See this 👇post from Shannow on ASTM D6922...

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3503628/Re:_The_oft_quoted_ASTM_D6922

From Mola' in the same thread...
"The ASTM test D6922 only tests for homogeneity and miscibility, it does not promise any additive compatibility and never did.

Compatibility is the term the oil manufacturers have used."

Last edited:
Originally Posted by WobblyElvis
Been mixing brands and viscosities of oil for the last 50 years while maintaining 2 - 4 vehicles. No problems yet.

I'm sure there are several more out in the world that are/have been doing the same thing with no issues. I don't see any problem with it.

Originally Posted by Rat407
I'm sure there are several more out in the world that are/have been doing the same thing with no issues. I don't see any problem with it.

So you'd mix some Quest 0W20 in with your Amsoil 0W20 and be ok with it, even when Amsoil clearly calls out on every spec sheet they print that it's highly not recommended? I get that oil companies promoting "don't mix" is mainly self-interest in hopes of driving higher sales, but as one of the board's best actual oil formulators (not shadetree formulators like the rest of us) has pointed out, there are so many things not visible to the naked eye that can wreak havoc in your engine.

And then at some point, you'll be standing on the side of the road with the hood up, shaking your fist at somebody you blame when it's actually your fault.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
That test only establishes that they are miscible, something I already mentioned. The tests of ASTM D6922 do not purport to establish any standard for additive compatibly.

Well but it apparently does say this too (found online, I no longer have access to ASTM tests):
5.1 It is important that engine oils from different manufacturers be homogeneous and miscible with each other, because operators of automotive engines often do not have prior knowledge of the manufacturer of the oil that is currently used in their application, and engine failure can occur if oils are combined that do not stay homogeneous and function properly.

1. Scope

1.1 This test method covers the determination if an automotive engine oil is homogeneous and will remain so, and if it is miscible with certain standard reference oils after being submitted to a prescribed cycle of temperature changes. This test method is very similar to the homogeneity and miscibility test described in FED-STD-791/3470.1.

I understand what you mean but I think in this case it is more than simple miscibility, more than how water and oil are not miscible. All hydrocarbons used to produce motor oils are going to be miscible I would think, to me this refers to engine damage caused by different oils which was what I was trying to convey earlier.

But thanks for the information.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

Well but it apparently does say this too (found online, I no longer have access to ASTM tests):
5.1 It is important that engine oils from different manufacturers be homogeneous and miscible with each other, because operators of automotive engines often do not have prior knowledge of the manufacturer of the oil that is currently used in their application, and engine failure can occur if oils are combined that do not stay homogeneous and function properly.

1. Scope

1.1 This test method covers the determination if an automotive engine oil is homogeneous and will remain so, and if it is miscible with certain standard reference oils after being submitted to a prescribed cycle of temperature changes. This test method is very similar to the homogeneity and miscibility test described in FED-STD-791/3470.1.

I understand what you mean but I think in this case it is more than simple miscibility, more than how water and oil are not miscible. All hydrocarbons used to produce motor oils are going to be miscible I would think, to me this refers to engine damage caused by different oils which was what I was trying to convey earlier.

But thanks for the information.

ðŸ‘..fwiw, I've had to top off using a different brand on past vehicles... I've used a half quart of whatever I've had on hand to make up the .5qt in X.5 sump.. never had an engine grenade on me. Was/were there any ill effects of doing this, don't know. Unless the engine exploded, how would I know unless I was tearing down the engine all the time?... what reference engine would I use? So while I am personally convinced it's not advisable to mix oils as a long term practice, it's probably not a practical concern (something to set your hair on fire about) if you're doing it once in a while and on small scale (1qt + 5qts for example). But who knows, I could very well be wrong in that assumption.

This is such an esoteric topic one that admittedly I don't fully grasp like a formulator does but my hunch is it boils down to how the multitude of additive pkgs react to one another not just in a beaker @room temp but at the extreme ends of the temp scale inside the engine. I think that uncertainty (law of unintended consequences) warrants a "not advisable" from the/some lube mfgs. I know I certainly wouldn't want to be on the hook for something I couldn't foresee.

Last edited:
I'm actually about to do the same thing in my 5.3 Silverado. Have 4 quarts of M1 EP and 4 quarts of PUP taking up space on my shelf. Though I won't make a habit of it, I highly doubt any harm will come of it from one OCI.

Will it help. Nope.
Will it hurt. Nope.

As mentioned, the exact oil weight will not be known (even Brand x 0w-20 with Brand Y 0w-20).

Non-scientific evidence is millions of vehicles are out there with a mish-mash of oils with no issues.

I have used a "frankenbrew" a time or two with no ill effects.
The next change in my F150 will probably be a mix of M1 EP 0w-20, Valvoline Synpower 5w-20, Pennzoil Platinum HM 0w-20, Castrol Magnatec 5w-20, and Havoline 5w-20 blend, just to use up extra qts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back