3M brake lube?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought the 3M copper anti-seize lube and got mixed up with this and their silicone paste. Anyway, I happen to have Sil-Glyde already and this is what should be used on slide pins. Correct ?

The 3M lube (copper) is used on the brake pad "ears" and where else ? Between the hub and the (new) rotor too ? The brake pads are Wagner TQ and they specifically say NOT to apply any lube on their backing plates.

Originally Posted By: hallstevenson
I bought the 3M copper anti-seize lube and got mixed up with this and their silicone paste. Anyway, I happen to have Sil-Glyde already and this is what should be used on slide pins. Correct ?

The 3M lube (copper) is used on the brake pad "ears" and where else ? Between the hub and the (new) rotor too ? The brake pads are Wagner TQ and they specifically say NOT to apply any lube on their backing plates.

Yup, Sil-Glyde goes on the slide pins or anything that has a rubber component and the 3M copper stuff is for metal-on-metal points.

I take that Wagner recommendation with a grain of salt - the IMI backing plate is susceptible to the piston cutting into the insulator and the shimmed pads aren't special. I spray disc brake quiet on ThermoQuiets with the IMI backing plates the last time I've had to deal with them.

I don't have Disc Brake Quiet - use the 3M or Sil-Glyde on the back plates?

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I use Wurth Silicone lubricating compound. I located their distribution center in the Toronto area and bought a tube there. I'm not sure if they still sell to non commercial clients.

Wurth Silicone Lubrication Compound

That site shows that this product has a shelf life of 12 months!!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I use Wurth Silicone lubricating compound. I located their distribution center in the Toronto area and bought a tube there. I'm not sure if they still sell to non commercial clients.

Wurth Silicone Lubrication Compound

That site shows that this product has a shelf life of 12 months!!

Never noticed that on their page lol.

I've been using the same tube since about 2012-2013. The grease doesn't seem to look or feel different, although if I don't use it for a prolonged period of time, a little bit of thin fluid comes out on the first squeeze, so I've been shaking the tube before use.
I noticed that the 3M silicone paste has a shelf life of 36 month. While better, still way too short for an average DIYer to go through. I don't think it matters.

I deal with "chemicals" and they can give a so-called "shelf life" for two reasons: 1) The product, or at least one of the components of it, do in fact have a shelf life that in turn impacts the finished product or 2) they simply want you to throw the product out and buy a replacement.

If it's the 1st one, the performance of the product can obviously be impacted. If it's the 2nd, and you see this scenario with food/drink products, they know say "Best by" instead of a hard expiration date. With these greases, when does the clock start, when it was produced ? When it was first opened ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back