3 Reasons to NOT do Extended OCIs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every engine is different.

I do extended OCI's on engines that can handle it.... which is most every engine I own.

Originally Posted By: madeej11
So go ahead and pollute, don't you people have kids that will have to suffer the consequences of the filth we leave behind. Every little bit counts and if your kids follow your wasteful ways then you're just perpetuating the problem. Besides it's already been established that you are just advancing the wear on your engines. It's a win win situation by abstaining. Let's wake up and get the most from your oil. Don't be so selfish by satisfying your petty OCD.

There is some truth to this.

There's a measurable of energy expended in the manufacturing, transporting, and bottling of lubricating oil,
and we really SHOULD all do our part...

in principle, no matter how cheap you bought the oil on clearance for.

Being obsessed with extended OCI is very pricy as well. With a lot of new cars have a 6+ yrs drive train warranty, uncalled wear & tear, lower mpg... Stick to standard recommended OCI and live happier.

Go ahead, extend your OCIs and talk down to those who change early while pretending you’re saving the world.

If sticking to an OLM, OCIs can be pretty long on some cars these days.

I tried going more than 7500 miles on my truck but the i noticed a dramatic increase of oil consumption and lifter ticking at 8700 miles into the oil change.
I will stick to what my owners manual tells me on my old iron block 302. 3,000 severe 5,000 normal.

Except for my two oldest cars, the 3 others get changed every 6 months even if the mileage isn't reached. I do it at the same time I'm changing tires from summer to winter or the other way around. They never reach the 5K miles, but the van always comes close.

I guess the Echo could easily live with extended intervals since it does mostly highway, but I'm keeping my old habits.

The oldest ones get their oil changed once a year. They do little mileage as they are used only on weekends for pleasure drives.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Go ahead, extend your OCIs and talk down to those who change early while pretending you’re saving the world.

LOL I find those comments entertaining. My oil gets recycled, and according to UOA's it is being changed at a safe and sound interval. Certainly not a 10K OCI, or longer but if I were doing 10K OCI's or more I'd be recycling cars rather than oil.
wink.gif

Early oil changes don't harm the environment one bit, it's not as if that oil is getting poured down a sewer, it's going to be recycled.

My factory interval is 15,000 miles so changing it at 10,000 miles is actually changing it early, and I feel completely safe doing so.

Just follow the OLM and use some common sense. Usually there is no need to change it at 3k or 4k but it's not the best to run it past 15k either.

My takeaway from this thread:

Short OCIs work.

Also, long OCIs work.

Sprinkle in some fighting and anger. I like the comments that suggest extending an OCI will destroy your car and that you 'must not plan on keeping it long'. LOL

Originally Posted By: Ifixyawata
My takeaway from this thread:

Short OCIs work.

Also, long OCIs work.

Sprinkle in some fighting and anger. I like the comments that suggest extending an OCI will destroy your car and that you 'must not plan on keeping it long'. LOL

I like the comments that say "early oci will kill your car" as well...

It depends on the drivers routine. 10-15k on a urban stop and go grocery getter is going to show up later in increased maintenance. A highway driver will be able to handle it better.

The more experienced posters here will say that beyond 7500 you should have the analysis done to verify it will be okay. Too many variables to make a blanket recommendation.

Originally Posted By: PimTac

The more experienced posters here will say that beyond 7500 you should have the analysis done to verify it will be okay. Too many variables to make a blanket recommendation.

01.gif

I LIKE to change my oil often, but I put myself in a position as such that if I can't, everything will be okay.

I personally like the thrill of wondering if this oil change will be the one where I drive my wife's Veloster off the ramps, and wonder what dollar amount of damage that will do. Dual-clutch automatics are not fun to put on the ramps when changing oil.

We might as well go back to the old 3/3 oci's if you guys are gonna continue your old stubborn ways. With the advancement of motor oil technologies we haven't gained anything if we dump good oil. Sheep I tell ya, sheep.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
My factory interval is 15,000 miles so changing it at 10,000 miles is actually changing it early, and I feel completely safe doing so.

Just follow the OLM and use some common sense. Usually there is no need to change it at 3k or 4k but it's not the best to run it past 15k either.

Wow, factory recommended OCI for Camry is 24K km in Canada now?

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Run a business with 60+ pieces of equipment that have engines, and then get back to me on how it's better to change oil frequently.
wink.gif

Doing extended oil changes (with UOA) saves my business about 2,300 gallons of oil every year, and I haven't done any calculations on filters, but I am certain it's a lot of them.

So say your "equipment" gets changed twice a year...you average over 19 gallons of oil per change per machine? Or 4 times per year, that's 9.5 gallons. What kind of giant ridiculous equipment are you running?!

Wait...you just say you're saving 2,300 gallons for 60 pieces of equipment...not the total useage. More than 19 gallons per change?? I find that hard to believe...

Those complaining about pollution are morons. Unless you dump your oil on the ground it is a renewable resource. All returned waste motor oil is used for other purposes, it is a commodity just like scrap metal. Recyclers pay your local auto store or wherever you dump it by the gallon for their used oil.

I'll give you a very practical reason.
I no longer care to do winter drains. I'm older now and really feel the cold.
Therefore, I plan 3.5 month drains over the warmer months, which equates to about 6K for the Accord and 4K for the Forester. This then gives me a drain of each in mid November, at which point both cars can get to the following April without a drain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back