3 Reasons to NOT do Extended OCIs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I'll give you a very practical reason.
I no longer care to do winter drains. I'm older now and really feel the cold.
Therefore, I plan 3.5 month drains over the warmer months, which equates to about 6K for the Accord and 4K for the Forester. This then gives me a drain of each in mid November, at which point both cars can get to the following April without a drain.

I feel the same way being 74 I do one usually in October/November and one in April/May

Of course changing oil too often is polluting even if you recycle it. Doesn't it take energy to manufacture the oil plus the plastic containers then transport it to a warehouse then to the retailer? Next you've got to transport it to a recycler then it has to be processed. All this for what, to satisfy your OCD? Not to worry guys, with the quality of engine oil we have available to us your engines will survive easily.

Originally Posted By: madeej11
Of course changing oil too often is polluting even if you recycle it. Doesn't it take energy to manufacture the oil plus the plastic containers then transport it to a warehouse then to the retailer? Next you've got to transport it to a recycler then it has to be processed. All this for what, to satisfy your OCD? Not to worry guys, with the quality of engine oil we have available to us your engines will survive easily.

Exactly! Lots of waste. Most of us want to squeeze as much mpg out of a gallon of has as we can. Why not get the use it of other fluids?

Originally Posted By: oliveoil

Exactly! Lots of waste. Most of us want to squeeze as much mpg out of a gallon of has as we can. Why not get the use it of other fluids?

You can't use the same analogy for getting the most miles out of your fuel vs getting the most miles out of your oil though. Getting the most mileage from your fuel won't harm anything but if you go too far on your oil you could. I can understand why most of the driving public is reluctant to do extended OCIs, they also don't do UOAs to see if they are pushing it too far, so it's easier for most people to err on the side of caution and stick to below 10k intervals.

Recent vehicles especially those with OLM's, seem to be taking oil near to the limit. Older vehicles had more conservative intervals to cover different usage scenarios.

So relative to older vehicles, newer vehicles are running "extended ocis".

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
Recent vehicles especially those with OLM's, seem to be taking oil near to the limit. Older vehicles had more conservative intervals to cover different usage scenarios.

The OLM in my 2017 Ford Fusion is useless. With my last change it came on at about 1K into the OC. I just ignore mine and do my normal 10K OCI.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer

The OLM in my 2017 Ford Fusion is useless. With my last change it came on at about 1K into the OC. I just ignore mine and do my normal 10K OCI.

Still new enough it should be repairable under warranty drive Ford crazy and take it back until they fix it!

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
Changing the oil improves power and economy.

A full detail has a similar effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back