3 Reasons to NOT do Extended OCIs

Status
Not open for further replies.
After dealing with Vermont brutal winters, I'll change my oil everyday this summer just to be outside. Or cut firewood for winter. No I'll stick with oil changes and fishing.
beer3.gif

I do 3/3K on all my cars like clockwork.

While under there I meticulously inspect every single inch of our cars' underbellies. I always keep everything in check.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

What if you're at the 3 month mark and you have 2900 miles? Wait a week to get to three thousand?

Originally Posted By: spasm3
What is the definition of extended oci here? Past 5 k, past 7.5k, past 10k?

My first thought on seeing the thread title.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

While under there I meticulously inspect every single inch of our cars' underbellies. I always keep everything in check.

Dude, you've been here since '06 and are still doing 3k changes?
Unless you drive ALL city miles...
crazy2.gif
21.gif

Because it's required that I change 6 months / 6000 miles by the manufacturer ....

I feel bad that I'm dumping oil after only 6 months.

hatt, hysteria, sorry but you must have too many overly dramatic people in your life.As far as the pollution angle goes not everyone is that environmentally conscientious out there plus you've never spilled any oil, new or used? Only takes a little bit to pollute a lot of water. Not only that but just the refining process alone pollutes. So double the amount of toxins in the air from refining just to satisfy these blockheads. Am I getting dramatic enough for you now ?

1 reason to extended OCIs

1. Factory Fill, the first oil change, I extended from 4k to almost 6k so 2000 mile extension! I never burn oil with these 0w weight oils.

I'm a maverick. I change my oil according to the manufactures recommendations and I use, (gasp) the recommended oil.

I usually keep my OCIs under 10,000 miles, not because of engine wear, UOA tells me 15,000 miles is fine, but I'm afraid of piston deposits sticking the rings in their grooves.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
My main reasons: Because I know my engines can't handle and extended OCI, and ultimately I will ruin one of more of them. Oil is cheap, engines aren't.

Yup. My current 2-3 yr stash of oil was essentially free. Not worried about the cost or time in a DIY oil change....only maximizing engine life. Some cars that are pretty old yet have pretty low miles, just cannot take the risk of having the engine or trans go. So it makes sense to be conservative on those fluid changes and driving habits.

Jug of oil after rebates, $13.
Fram ulta every 2 OCI's, $5.
Fuel pump starting to leak into engine at 2,000 miles and engine seizing at 9,000 miles, priceless.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
What is the definition of extended oci here? Past 5 k, past 7.5k, past 10k?

That's a very good question.
I would do 5 to 6 K on dino and 7 to 9K on synthetic depending on how much was highway vs. city driving. This is a big jump for me as I used to be a 3K guy.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Tell you what:

I'll send anyone here my 5,000 mile Mobil 2 if you promise to run it another 5,000.

Lol!

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
I am not an idiot and I plan to keep my cars for a long time. I do it every 5k with synthetic.

I agree 100%, unless the engine is being used with a submicron bypass filter that takes out water. When a used car is for sale no one says I extended my oil changes as a selling point. If someone says 3k oil and filter changes, buyers like it. Not only that you are saving money because no need to do UOA's to see how far you can keep the dirty oil in.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
I am not an idiot and I plan to keep my cars for a long time. I do it every 5k with synthetic.
And you are gaining nothing by doing so. It has been proven time and time agai that longer OCIs produce less wear metals per mile than shirt ones. Your engine will last just as long with 10K OCIs versus 5K ones.

Thank you

Severe service! About this time of year my Buick's oil starts to smell a bit like gas, even though it's not enough to show on the dip stick it's enough I feel I need to get it changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back