29 mpg to 24 mpg drop

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2003 mazda6 2.3 4-sp auto, 156k miles, has changed from 29 mpg to 24 mpg in the last 10K miles. I have replaced tires, oil change every 6-7k miles, new ngk iridium plugs/wires and ngk upper O2 sensor in the past 10K miles. Air filter and tranny fluid has 23k miles on it. What could cause such a drop? I drive 80% highway. The tire pressure is around 37 psi cold.

I'm guessing bad fuel injectors. Using the best injector cleaner in a bottle won't guarantee they return to like new condition. There is someone here that cleans them I think.

Tyre pressure, driving habits, traffic, headwind or tailwind? Cargo or luggage? Fuel type/grade? Ambient temps?
Could be attributed to lots of things...

One more thing to check.....Dragging brake. Run the car down the freeway, then pull off and check for a hot wheel. Using an infrared temp gun would make it easier.

Also clogged cat or muffler. Or a bad battery causing an extra load on the alternator.

Could be 1000 things. Try all the cheap/easy stuff first.

Were the new NGK iridium plugs what cane oem? Compression test?Hydraulic lifters or shim [valve adjust?] Did you change the parts before of after the MPG loss? were the parts bad that you changed?

Originally Posted By: Powerglide
Summer gas bland.

Uh wrong... summer gas is more energy dense than winter. Try again.

- new tyres have more thread and higher rolling resistance.
- did it get warmer so you're using the AC more intensely or driving with the windows down in stead of up?
- was the engine running lean on the old O2 sensor?
- gained some weight? check car and driver
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: horse123
Originally Posted By: Powerglide
Summer gas bland.

Uh wrong... summer gas is more energy dense than winter. Try again.

Neither makes sense, if the loss has been over a 10k mile period. That probably is over a couple of seasons.

Usually this can be attributed to a stuck open thermostat in cold weather.

Provided location, time periods are not specific enough.

Last edited:
what new tires? Just the tires can be a 10% difference easily.

10k miles is what time period?

Also wrong forum section this doesnt belong in the vehicles subsection..

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
One more thing to check.....Dragging brake. Run the car down the freeway, then pull off and check for a hot wheel. Using an infrared temp gun would make it easier.

I would check this? When was the last time you serviced your brakes?

New tires are taller with more rolling resistance, that would account for some of the difference. Check inflation pressure, you may have had the old tires' pressure higher than the shop inflated tye new ones.

You may have had more wind in your face on this 10k run....I would see what the next one comes out to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back