25 most venomous snakes in the world

Have encountered 6 of these species in the wild (4 species inside city limits)...they are everywhere.

Probably over a dozen encounters over the years

(4 species have been found inside the turbine house of power stations I've worked at)

snakes.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I touched a cobra once at a show in Thailand. I think it was a monocled cobra. Not sure exactly what the criteria is for that list though. King cobra venom isn't really all that venomous, but they're really big and can eject a lot of it.

Australia,…where everything wants to kill you. If it’s not snakes, it that really friendly funnel web spider.
That list is crazy. The percentage found in AUS…

And then there are kangaroos. Always thought they were cute things until I saw some YouTube videos on them attacking. So weird. Like an overly stiff roided/jacked teenage boy with a dog head that wants to kick you…

Surprised of all the species in the US it's the Eastern Diamond Back Rattlesnake which is on the list whereas the Timber Rattlesnake, Water Moccasin (aka Cottonmouth) and the Western Diamond Back are not.

Have encountered 6 of these species in the wild (4 species inside city limits)...they are everywhere.

(4 species have been found inside the turbine house of power stations I've worked at)

View attachment 202427
Yeah no thanks. We don't have any venomous snakes here in Southeastern Wisconsin so when you run across one in the yard or elsewhere you can just pick it up and move it when needed.

View attachment 202427
Before I even clicked I was going to guess 20+ of them are down under.

I think god tried to balance out Australia with Koalas. Hmmm....

Anyone seen Shannow lately?

I was bush walking once and came to a quick halt as I saw a Death Adder (#9) on a rock just in front of me. Looking closer, I saw it had a tick full of blood right in the centre of its head. Sort of forming a triangle with its two eyes. Thinking the venom from the tick would probably slow the snake down and make it easy to get around, I just walked on.

Mostly around here I see Red-bellied Black snakes (#22). They are a very glossy black with a bright red belly, very handsome looking snake.

Australia would be the perfect place to host a battle Royale.

Went swimming at a nude beach near Darwin, Northern Territory years ago. Snakes were less of a worry than the salties. Antipodeans sure have lots of nasty critters to fret about.

1707400741702.jpg

Australian Geographic

Last edited:

View attachment 202427
The Mojave rattlesnake is substantially more venomous that the eastern diamondback.

How many of those have you run across Shannow?
Tiger snake - twice, once in the bush, once crossing a rail bridge here in town.
Copperhead - twice, including one crossing the road while I was driving (found in the power station twice)
Sea Snake, three times (caught while fishing when I was a kid in Adelaide).
Red Bellied Black - probably 6 times usually out in field, near creeks, open cut areas...one I nearly stood on, and it was huge...
Eastern Brown - three times - they are agressive, and will fight you one launched at me as I rode through a pine forrest and hit the bike behind the pedals.
Coastal Taipan - I reckon once or twice...there was an unusual brown snake in the Yass area when I worked in transmission. An ameteur herpetologist in the area counted scales, and reckoned it was a taipan...sure enough years later, it was identified in that region.

Things that go shooting through the grass, bush and blackberries and cause heart to stop...many many times, including my yard.

Having one of our many species of large lizards poke their head out of the garden, under a log or whatever...they give you the same feel until they flick their tongue.

Back