24F Battery Recommendations

that is bizzare, korean battery. the one I just bought is definitely JCI/Clarios it clearly says so on the label. measures 670cca and appears to be the same as the Interstate MT-24F.

oddly the OEM Toyota appears to be the JCI Interstate M-24FHC same weight and case.

I'm 90% sure the Maxx 24F is the top level JCI 44lb battery.

I'd avoid the Korean made battery.
I'd be all over these if they were JCI/Clarios. However, the ones at our local Walmarts are all East Penns. This is my hesitation.

i'd give the East Penn a try. they make Dekas which are highly regarded. I think they make 3 or 4 different "grades" (by weight) ranging from 35 to 44 lbs.
here's my Clarios Value start. I took it out of my car because I'm going to put the OEM battery back in since I was able to recover it. This new batt will go into the wife's van, and her old one I'll recondition and keep as a spare.
VP24F.JPG

VP24Fb.JPG

i'd give the East Penn a try. they make Dekas which are highly regarded. I think they make 3 or 4 different "grades" (by weight) ranging from 35 to 44 lbs.
here's my Clarios Value start. I took it out of my car because I'm going to put the OEM battery back in since I was able to recover it. This new batt will go into the wife's van, and her old one I'll recondition and keep as a spare.
View attachment 44892
View attachment 44893
Yours is Clarios/JCI! I'd be all over for that for $50. I'm not sure about the East Penn/Deka value battery.

The Everstart 24F from 2014 in my wife's minivan measures 415CCA and it still cranks hard, and that van is a power hog. the batt was rated at 700CCA when new but that was 7 years ago. I suppose the OEMs factor in a huge performance margin because whats the most important thing a car has to do?? it has to start. I'm reasonably confident most cars driving around have batteries that are 50% depleted, and yet they still start. use a smaller battery and keep it fully charged you are better off than most.

but your new 750CCA will give you great service. just take care of it. put it on a maintenance charger every now & then to top it off. I learned the hard way to not let a car sit for 2+ weeks without charging the battery.

Overall a very good post here ^^^^^^

One aspect of note... CCA is tested at 0°F... So say my battery is rated for 550 CCA. Which means that if my car saw temps down to say -25°F my car could still start unaided. One of our members on here tested and was able to show it only took 150-170 amps to start his vehicle. So if you have 550 CCA at 0 degrees Fahrenheit.... That is way more than enough to start my car. But temps well colder than that... It could well be only 170 amps down around -30°F.

I believe that's... What the vehicle manufacturer has in mind when it comes to battery CCA. The possibility of very very cold starts down to -20 to -30°F unaided. Like what low temps are going to happen here in eastern Montana, North Dakota and South Dakota and Minnesota and possibly into Nebraska here in the next several days.

DieHard is a brand from the past they lost their cachet when Sears went out of business. It’s like buying a new Kelvinator refrigerator or something. The fact they practically had to drag Bruce Willis out of the nursing home to make that TV ad for a car battery doesn’t help. Maybe they are marketing the brand to geezers for the nostalgia value, but at 170 bucks, no thanks.
Bruce is not happy.

View attachment 44892
View attachment 44893
Nice looking tester.

View attachment 44892
View attachment 44893

That tested number is CA unless you measure it at really cold temperature.
I know tester just display what we put in.
It is still good value.

I have similar tester for $40, too.

It is still good value.

no, the tester has a separate mode for CA measurement. it produces a higher number than CCA under the exact same conditions. I beleive this is simply the result of an algorithm that estimates CA and CCA (and Ahr, and a bunch of other things) based on the measured resistance of the battery regardless of the temp.

here's the same battery measured in CA.... 854CA, rated for 730.

are either of these "true" CA or CCA?? well, not really. its just an estimate, but its a darn good one.

side note - this van was just driven 6 miles about 20 minutes before this test. note the 12.52V. It has been driven every day 5-10 miles this past week, and every morning the battery is down to about 12.4-12.5V. This underscores the importance of periodically maintenance charging the battery because even if driven daily it will sit in an undercharged state most of the time.

side note #2 --- one drawback of the cheapo Valu Power is the case is very hard to get a hold of. there's no ridges or lips to grip to, and its very hard to sneak it down into a tight battery cavity. so I have it cradled with a make-shift carry strap. The lack of any means to lift/lower the battery into places might make the more expensive Maxx battery worth it to some people (assuming they have a carry handle). Walmart really cost-reduced the heck out of these things how much more could a case with grip ridges cost?

VP24Fca.JPG

It is still good value.

Looks like you can pick up a similar tester for under $23 on Aliexpress. Tempted to get one for fun but I already have a meter and don't think I really need one.

aliexpress is that legit?? i'm afraid to click on it and send my IP into some Chinese hacking wormhole. but that is a great price for sure.

aliexpress is that legit?? i'm afraid to click on it and send my IP into some Chinese hacking wormhole. but that is a great price for sure.
Yep, buy stuff from them all the time. The retail arm of alibaba. Cheaper than Amazon. Basically no 2 day shipping, more like 2-5 weeks. I forget that I even ordered stuff when it comes in. But if you're not in a rush, could be 20-30% or more cheaper than buying in the US. You basically take advantage of the cheap shipping between US and China as shippers in the US can be double or more than stuff from China.

Aliexpress is a marketplace, made up of both good and bad sellers.

It is not a place for those who don't do their homework, are risk-averse, or expect any level of good customer service, or iron-clad aftersales support. Nor is it a place for the impatient, as it takes weeks, if not months under some circumstances, for an order to arrive, and presents opportunities to learn more about international logistics than one may ever desire.

If something goes wrong with an Amazon transaction, even if it may be your mistake, the company will probably have your back, and make it right.

If something goes wrong with an AX transaction, even if it's not your mistake, or just plain due to outright shenanigans, the onus will be on you to build a case (often requiring video evidence), submit it for review, and wait for a verdict.

The site can also be quirky, to put it mildly, and the sales tactics which often follow the "more, more, more" mantra, can be confusing, with multiple "official" seller stores, multiple listings for the same items, and multiple variations within those individual item listings. Not friendly to those who aren't detail oriented. And that doesn't even include the inscrutable coupon system.

Shoppers who expect otherwise, like those here who repeatedly beat the RockAuto horse, would be well-advised to steer clear.

That said, there are still good reasons to shop on AX, like lower pricing on the products that get marked up to 2-3x the cost from those who import and slap their name on and peddle on Amazon. Sales tax and higher shipping costs have cut into that, but it's still worthwhile.

There are also product categories where the Chinese sellers excel, like electronic tools, "Chi-fi" audio, and flashlights. Some things can't be procured any other way, as some manufacturers only sell through AX, and similar sites, often factory direct.

Another example relevant to here-- if one is going to play around with those crappy LED retrofit bulbs, there's little reason to pay the highly inflated prices on Amazon, when they can be had for a fraction from AX, at a cost much more in line with their quality.

And the sheer breadth of stuff is unmatched. Like it or not, China is the world's largest factory, and if it's going to be made there, then there's a good chance to pick it up from AX, for cheap.

Last edited:
And the sheer breadth of stuff is unmatched. Like it or not, China is the world's largest factory, and if it's going to be made there, then there's a good chance to pick it up from AX, for cheap.
that is truly frightening. while I like the idea of a $23 battery tester, I'd gladly pay $230 for it to prevent what the future holds for my grandkids.

You cannot just say Walmart Everstart. Its made my different manufacturers for different parts of the country. Around here seems to be East Penn is making them. And no AGMs at Walmart. But I think on the west coast it may be different.

that is truly frightening. while I like the idea of a $23 battery tester, I'd gladly pay $230 for it to prevent what the future holds for my grandkids.
You basically see what Aliexpress does to your $40 battery tester, it's there for $23. They have a review system so you don't get totally stiffed on your purchases. Only had one bad experience so far. If you don't get your package, you can file a complaint and get your money back. It's worse if you do get your package but the quality isn't there. Got many flashlights from them but once got two of them and one of them was bad, probably a bad solder joint on the LED pill out of the box. They'd only give me 50% off but it was basically worthless to me. I did eventually buy a new LED pill which was about the cost of the discount so I was still able to use the body of it. You can always research the brightest current LED and just buy that specific LED flashlight. Much brighter than any you normally buy in the store and much cheaper. Shipping does take a while, fastest I've gotten stuff is 2 weeks, most of the time it's 3-4 weeks, worse was about 6 weeks. But I'm not in a rush so no need to pay more. You do get tracking numbers but you see it shipped and then sitting somewhere for 2 weeks at a time, then sitting for another 2 weeks and then all of a sudden it's delivered.

Unfortunately, the vast majority don't see it the same way, but that's another topic…

…as is Aliexpress, but I didn't want people to be left with the impression that it's just like shopping at Amazon.

It should be likened to a bazaar, street market, or flea market, for anyone who has experienced one of those.

Unfortunately, the vast majority don't see it the same way, but that's another topic…

…as is Aliexpress, but I didn't want people to be left with the impression that it's just like shopping at Amazon.

It should be likened to a bazaar, street market, or flea market, for anyone who has experienced one of those.
While the vendors are like that, the site itself has policies to prevent the vendors from getting too badly out of hand. I use it it all the time and don't have issues with them. If you don't get the item, you can contest it and get your money back. I use my regular credit card with them, the site has that info, not the vendor so it's simple like Amazon buying from a 3rd party vendor. I'd pick one up if I needed one. Not sure I really need one. Used them for the last 5 years, everything I ordered has show up. Even got masks during the pandemic, but those took a long while to ship, almost canceled at one point but they eventually showed up.

Everyone loves paying less, but without mincing words, we are shooting ourselves in the foot as a country. I wish more more people shared your opinion before it is too late.

On a positive note, the 24F Legend and Legend premium batteries from Napa are made in America Deka I believe, and have been absolutely stellar for me.

Back