20wt oils, higher temperatures and oil coolers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: StevieC
But I do know.
frown.gif
And it must obviously be a concern for Dodge if they have a Hot Oil message appear in the manual and a limp mode instituted at some point.
wink.gif

Does the manual say at what temperature the "Hot Oil" message pops up and it goes into limp mode?

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Then it would be safe to say doesn't protect any better, or they wouldn't advise bumping up a grade for tracking or heavy duty use.

Manufacturers recommend much heavier oil (ie, 5W-50) for track use because the resulting oil temps are usually much greater (especially without any oil cooler), which thins down the oil and reduces MOFT. Get MOFT too thin and engine damage occurs.

You could run 5W-20 in a track car all day long if the oil temperature could be kept cool enough with an oil cooler to ensure adequate MOFT.

It's a 15 Journey 2.4L 4 Cylinder. Normal roads is normal temperatures. Highway is where the problem exists.
smile.gif

There is no problem, 250 degrees for oil temperature is just fine.
You just happen to be one of the lucky ones who has a vehicle that displays oil temperature, most people have no clue what it is.

Well 280-300F would be fine too ... moving even closer to the edge, with adjustments to OCI .

Without breaking the bank with a cooler,I would pay similar price point (or potentially lower) for a happy medium in xW30 for higher margin of safety through :
a )higher MOFT with higher operating viscosity, and in OP's experience
b )lower recorded temperature with a 5W30 as reported.

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if OP turns up with even lower recorded temperature with a stout xW40 with A3B4/E7/E9 in this application.

Anyway, to each his own.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Then it would be safe to say doesn't protect any better, or they wouldn't advise bumping up a grade for tracking or heavy duty use.

Manufacturers recommend much heavier oil (ie, 5W-50) for track use because the resulting oil temps are usually much greater (especially without any oil cooler), which thins down the oil and reduces MOFT. Get MOFT too thin and engine damage occurs.

You could run 5W-20 in a track car all day long if the oil temperature could be kept cool enough with an oil cooler to ensure adequate MOFT.

I know, the operative word is "if, " if not then all bets are off. Lets not forget Ford changing spec to 5W30 from 5W20 recently in certain applications, as mentioned on this site. That's probably because MOFT with 5W20 couldn't be maintained and they might have feared additional warranty claims. The move to 5W30 might have fixed that, only Ford knows for sure.

Page 4 - https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2880.pdf

I will run the 0w30 instead of the 5w20. Looks almost the same other than it's a bit thicker.

Steve

That's a nice choice, and should do very well in your application. It will also provide a hedge if things should go bad, or if MOFT ever comes into question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back