20wt oils, higher temperatures and oil coolers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Garak
Given Canada's climate conditions, lots of weird things can be seen with various vehicle temperatures across different applications.
wink.gif

I think the key words here are "Canada" and "Weird"
smile.gif

Careful ~ there are folks on this site from Austin Texas and they might have copyright privileges …

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
Originally Posted By: Garak
Given Canada's climate conditions, lots of weird things can be seen with various vehicle temperatures across different applications.
wink.gif

I think the key words here are "Canada" and "Weird"
smile.gif

HEY! I resemble that remark!

Back to the original post, oil temp of 120C seems pretty normal to me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StevieC
I wish more folks knew their oil temperatures so we could take a poll.

I always see 200~210 F oil temp with normal street driving (city or highway, doesn't matter).

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

I always see 200~210 F oil temp with normal street driving (city or highway, doesn't matter).

Thanks.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Thanks.
thumbsup2.gif

My Caprice, closest I can get is dropping a thermocouple down the dipstick hole...drive on highway, pull over, and turn engine off before coming to a stop.

95C after only 10 minutes highway in "D".

Same trip, same speed, in "2" takes the revs from 17-1800 to nearly 4,000...ups the temperature to 130-135C

I keep oil temp up on the mini screen in my FXT all the time, along with boost and another parameter I can't remember right now. I have no idea where the sensor for this is actually located, though.
Highest I ever saw was something like 232F, this on a sunny, humid upper 90s day while climbing a very long hill on 101 in the Monadnocks up in NH with two other people in the car, a load of softball gear and luggage in the back, and the AC on. I was probably passing some slowpokes, er, more conservative drivers at the time. Was also running M1 5W30 ESP then, which definitely ran a bit hotter than M1 5W30.
More typical operating temps after warm up for me are 200-220F. I thought I would notice my oil temps dipping a bit when I filled with M1 5W30 AP, but they didn't seem to change much and then I read that this AP is about as thick as the ESP was around 100C (HTHS is dramatically lower, though, 3.0 to 3.58).

Last edited:

I think it's just wildly application specific. Like I've mentioned before, the old Audi couldn't top 100 C on full boost for half an hour in the middle of summer. With the G37, I can't touch the oil filter without gloves if it's been running for 20 minutes after starting on a -35 day.

>User Shannow experimented with this on his Holden, where he put a thermocoupler down the dipstick tube and ran it in different gears on >the highway and was able to significantly drive up oil temperature just by using a lower gear (raising RPM).

I made the same observations on my racecar. Running test laps in a higher gear significantly lowered oil temperatures. My sensor is in the oil sump.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I keep oil temp up on the mini screen in my FXT all the time, along with boost and another parameter I can't remember right now. I have no idea where the sensor for this is actually located, though.
Highest I ever saw was something like 232F, this on a sunny, humid upper 90s day while climbing a very long hill on 101 in the Monadnocks up in NH with two other people in the car, a load of softball gear and luggage in the back, and the AC on. I was probably passing some slowpokes, er, more conservative drivers at the time. Was also running M1 5W30 ESP then, which definitely ran a bit hotter than M1 5W30.
More typical operating temps after warm up for me are 200-220F. I thought I would notice my oil temps dipping a bit when I filled with M1 5W30 AP, but they didn't seem to change much and then I read that this AP is about as thick as the ESP was around 100C (HTHS is dramatically lower, though, 3.0 to 3.58).

I wish the Sants fe Sport had an oil temp gauge.

On my old 2006 Santa Fe I put in an oil temp and pressure gauge. I took the low oil pressure sensor off and using some threaded tubes / "T's" I hooked up all 3.

Taught me a lot about oil temperatures / pressures at various operating conditions and external temperatures / oil weights.

Could this be a case of what you don't know won't hurt you? If you had no idea what the oil temperatures were, you'd have no concerns and I don't see any evidence of early failures with these engines.
Granted that the oil temperatures do seem a little high for what's a ma and pa four cylinder, but it may be that Chrysler had reduced heat rejection in mind when they designed the engine. This would also explain the dual thermostats.
Since most of the heat generated represents wasted fuel burn, reducing loss of heat would lead to greater efficiency.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Could this be a case of what you don't know won't hurt you? If you had no idea what the oil temperatures were, you'd have no concerns and I don't see any evidence of early failures with these engines.
Granted that the oil temperatures do seem a little high for what's a ma and pa four cylinder, but it may be that Chrysler had reduced heat rejection in mind when they designed the engine. This would also explain the dual thermostats.
Since most of the heat generated represents wasted fuel burn, reducing loss of heat would lead to greater efficiency.

I would tend to agree with this.

But I do know.
frown.gif
And it must obviously be a concern for Dodge if they have a Hot Oil message appear in the manual and a limp mode instituted at some point.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Just changed the oil and filter with Amsoil SSO 5w20 and an EAK15. Going to run it 6K Miles (10,000km) and do a UOA on a sample and see how the increased temperatures is affecting the oil. Then if needed I will install a cooler. If the oil is fine this length of time I will let it go for the whole OLM time limit and do another UOA.

But I do know.
frown.gif
And it must obviously be a concern for Dodge if they have a Hot Oil message appear in the manual and a limp mode instituted at some point.
wink.gif

A lot of engines now have oil temp castration mechanisms, seems to be par for the course with xW-20 spec'd rigs. The Mustang GT has it, for example, and can be triggered on a good track that gets the oil hot enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back