2025 4Runner reviewed by Doug DeMuro

The downside I see is turbo lag and sudden rush of torque in situations where that is not desirable. They will probably have pretty long gas pedal and not as reactive throttle settings.
With the different offroad "modes" CUVs and SUVs come with now so pavement pounders can pretend to be seasoned off-roaders when they see the gravel road to their glamping spot, I'd be surprised if they didn't remap throttle gain across the different modes, or even between 2WD and 4WD.
Some people cannot stand dogpoo-slow vehicles. Some people don't mind them at all. There isn't much space in between. Almost 8 seconds to hit 60mph from a stop in a 4Runner puts it solidly in the "frozen dogpoo" pile, which may be fine if you don't mind it, but it is definitely neither speedy nor powerful.

Slightly off topic, I think this was the 4Runner high water mark for styling. Not much power. But happy off road and reliable as an anvil.

View attachment 213618
That’s the one my wife had! The four door with the triangle front windows. I think hers was 2wd though. 4cyl! Would boil the atf going up really steep hills in the VI… cool down and all was well.

Some people cannot stand dogpoo-slow vehicles. Some people don't mind them at all. There isn't much space in between. Almost 8 seconds to hit 60mph from a stop in a 4Runner puts it solidly in the "frozen dogpoo" pile, which may be fine if you don't mind it, but it is definitely neither speedy nor powerful.

8 seconds?!? lol.

A 1965 GTO did 0-60 in around 6s.

A tractor trailer merges safely onto the interstate with a 0-60 in what? 30s?

8s is quite fast, by any standards, even if it’s not a fast sports car.

8 seconds?!? lol.

It's relatively slow, but what is fast and what is slow is relative to each person. 0-60 in 5 seconds starts towards getting quick.

1960s muscle cars weren't fast either, but, again, relative, and it tends to be a hard dividing line.

The torque of this 2.4 puts the 4.0 to absolute shame.
2.4 full torque at 1700RPM.
1712864142294.jpg

4.0 V6. That's a huge difference off road and in drivability.
1712864264767.jpg

8 seconds?!? lol.

Well, it is 2024. I did hill climb races in Yugo 55! So, everything is relative.
A lot of people when it comes to 4Runner expect same kind of capability on road as well as off road. I think no one can dispute its off road credentials. On road? Well, you can’t eat cake and still have it.

View attachment 213650
View attachment 213651
The problem is that max torque at 4,400rpm is more geared toward performance cars with stick shift.
2.4T will be fine. What I am interested in is whether Toyota resolved QC issues that become apparent in new Tundra and Sequoia.

I'm a Toyota fan, but not this powertrain. Hard pass.
View attachment 213650
View attachment 213651
Thats nice, but we'll see what happens in the long term. The 4.0 was a masterpiece of engineering, I dont predict any where the same outcome with Toyota's TT engines.

8 seconds isn't bad at all for any car.

Leave the fast off-roading the Raptor/TRX/ZR2's. Runner wasn't designed for it.

Well, it is 2024. I did hill climb races in Yugo 55! So, everything is relative.
A lot of people when it comes to 4Runner expect same kind of capability on road as well as off road. I think no one can dispute its off road credentials. On road? Well, you can’t eat cake and still have it.
Yeah but 8s is no slouch. It’s totally fine.

8 seconds isn't bad at all for any car.

Leave the fast off-roading the Raptor/TRX/ZR2's. Runner wasn't designed for it.
How well vehicle will do in true off roading, we will find out in 20yrs. If you are talking overlanding, Moab, etc. very few, VERY few people will take brand new 4Runner and squeeze out every last capability out of it. For that, you buy $3000 vehicle, fix it, and go.

I have owned several Toyota pick ups and enjoyed them but each new generatrion of Toyatas get uglier and uglier and I detest all the electronics . But then that is just me.

I have an 07 V8 which I say Toyota nerfed and soccer-mommed, as far as a 4x4 is concerned. I had to lift it to make it right. This and the last gen got back to what it should have been. I like this new styling, but as someone else has said, I think they should have had a turbo V6 option for those who want a "super truck" similar to the Raptors and put it in the Tacoma, as well. I think they'd sell like crazy! With a crazy price tag, too, of course! This turbo 4 puts out better power numbers than my V8, which I think are 265hp and 306tq. Let alone the hybrid model. The 93 DLX 4x4 xcab I had with the 3.slow was an absolute DOG driving up any large hill. It was a great truck and got almost 25% of the new price back when I sold it.

1712873079326.jpg

Last edited:
I have an 07 V8 which I say Toyota nerfed and soccer-mommed, as far as a 4x4 is concerned. I had to lift it to make it right. This and the last gen got back to what it should have been. I like this new styling, but as someone else has said, I think they should have had a turbo V6 option for those who want a "super truck" similar to the Raptors and put it in the Tacoma, as well. I think they'd sell like crazy! With a crazy price tag, too, of course! This turbo 4 puts out better power numbers than my V8, which I think are 265hp and 306tq. Let alone the hybrid model.

View attachment 213676
Because they can get away with it.
"Perception is reality," and a lot of people have a perception it is already super truck.
When it comes to perception, I always tell story about buying spare wheel and tire at Toyota dealership. They wanted $130 for wheel, and $305 for donut for Sienna. I said the donut for my X5 was $129 in the BMW dealership, and it was actually a bigger tire, same brand, Dunlop. Guy told me: "yeah, but this is Toyota."
So, 4cyl, super truck? As long as you believe it, it is.

With the different offroad "modes" CUVs and SUVs come with now so pavement pounders can pretend to be seasoned off-roaders when they see the gravel road to their glamping spot, I'd be surprised if they didn't remap throttle gain across the different modes, or even between 2WD and 4WD.

You're new here, so you probably haven't realized that @edyvw has VERY strong opinions. If your opinions don't line up exactly, you could still be arguing 10 years from now, unless you get tired and move on...

The roll-eyes was because yet again no one can have a differing opinion, without hearing about it endlessly. Oh and the term "beast' referring to a car is just dumb. I think I hear it's popular with the highschool kids.

Anyway, if we want speed, we can drive the 1100 hp and torque sportscar. The 500 hp sports coupe. The wifes 617 hp mall-crawler SUV. Or one of five sportsbikes. Or maybe even the Dually, with over 1000 lb ft of torque.

Or maybe I should post the racecars I've worked on for 22 years, as a hobby. I mean they're completely irrelevant to the topic, but maybe they would have enough power...

The point was and is, that we know exactly what the 4Runner we have is, and it fulfills that role nicely. If the 6th gen is more appealing after driving and thoroughly inspecting one, the clean, low-mile 5th gen will be sold.

0-60 might be. Problem is "elasticity." Passing, acceleration 40-60, 40-80, 60-80. Such heavy car with torque so high, is gonna struggle.
The problem is that max torque at 4,400rpm is more geared toward performance cars with stick shift.
2.4T will be fine. What I am interested in is whether Toyota resolved QC issues that become apparent in new Tundra and Sequoia.
Did you happen to reverse the power numbers from 5th and 6th gen?

Back