2024 Silverado EV W/T - 450 miles EPA range

Stripper trucks are really nice nowadays compared to what you got back in my childhood in the 70s and 80s. Power windows/door locks, remote keyless entry, backup camera, A/C, cruise, halfway decent radio....none of that was standard back in the day. Had a few vehicles without power assist steering, i.e., power steering by Armstrong. Not so bad when you're young.

Also had a few that came with no radio whatsover, a trip to the local car stereo installer after purchase was standard fare for those. It was going to sound better than what you could have gotten from the factory anyway.

I think the EV Silverado might have a higher perception of quality with the F150 Lightning history, but obviously neither of them are cheap trucks.
After driving a rental Silverado, I think you are right, it was quite nice. In the end, the range is what is going to make the GM product worth considering. People are by now well aware of EV truck (and Cybertruck) range limitations and the Ford's slow charge rates.

The 2018 2.7L F150 4x4 will easily go 650++ v fast hwy miles per 36 gal tank, with plenty of reserve and a 4 min fill up. One fuel stop 1250 mile trips were for a while, the norm for me.

Last edited:
After driving a rental Silverado, I think you are right, it was quite nice. In the end, the range is what is going to make the GM product worth considering. People are by now well aware of EV truck (and Cybertruck) range limitations and the Ford's slow charge rates.

The 2018 2.7L F150 4x4 will easily go 650++ v fast hwy miles per 36 gal tank, with plenty of reserve and a 4 min fill up. One fuel stop 1250 mile trips were for a while, the norm for me.
I've done this one a few times too with the 5.0. Just because I was already on the path to do it, I hit 705 miles once on a fill up. Wasn't a cheap fill up though!

We'll see... It's easy to get range. Just use a bigger battery.
Hey it's not my fault the Muskrat promised outlandish specs for the cybertruck five years ago. Chevy looks like they actually want to produce a product that comes very close to what was promised. If it weren't for the cult like following Tesla would have died years ago.

Hey it's not my fault the Muskrat promised outlandish specs for the cybertruck five years ago. Chevy looks like they actually want to produce a product that comes very close to what was promised. If it weren't for the cult like following Tesla would have died years ago.
Pretty large cult to keep a car company afloat.

Pretty large cult to keep a car company afloat.
Face it Tesla to this day still has massive fit and finish problems that wouldn't make it out the door from most manufacturers. Musk himself has said Tesla has issues. Apparently the cybertruck has door striker issues (why?) That causes the driver door to not fully seat. It took a well known youtuber with a cybertruck to to tweet? X Musk about the problem. Just curious but have you ever had to use social media to reach out to a ceo of a company to get an automotive issue figured out?

Face it Tesla to this day still has massive fit and finish problems that wouldn't make it out the door from most manufacturers. Musk himself has said Tesla has issues. Apparently the cybertruck has door striker issues (why?) That causes the driver door to not fully seat. It took a well known youtuber with a cybertruck to to tweet? X Musk about the problem. Just curious but have you ever had to use social media to reach out to a ceo of a company to get an automotive issue figured out?
I've still yet to see these massive fit and finish issues with one and I own one. I'm not around too many others to compare though either. I would not have accepted the car if there were issues. I've never seen a Cybertruck in person. I do think they're better off making normal cars and I find the Model X to be gimmicky as well.

Actually yes I've had to use social media to deal with T-Mobile years back. Obviously wasn't the CEO, but if the CEO was the easy one to reach I think anyone would take that angle to handle an issue if they thought it would be effective. I couldn't get a return call or email until I spent hours annoying their Twitter team about an issue I was having for months. It's definitely not how I want to handle this stuff.

After spending a week of long distance driving with the 4 cylinder Chevy pickup, I’d do anything to get rid of that groaning and clattery, 2.7L, 18mpg 4 cylinder engine. That means the EV pickup is a far more pleasant choice, ignoring the price of course.

It was a very nice truck with a terrible engine. All I could think about was how much nicer the EV version will be

You can get the 3.0 diesel in a similar trim for far less money than these EV's cost you, it has gobs of torque and is really smooth and quiet. Comparing the base engine isn't really fair, my money would be on the diesel being the best option in the GM lineup.

You can get the 3.0 diesel in a similar trim for far less money than these EV's cost you, it has gobs of torque and is really smooth and quiet. Comparing the base engine isn't really fair, my money would be on the diesel being the best option in the GM lineup.
I know folks with the diesel LT’s and ‘Burbs - they love that motor !

Rustic Ring towing test. Summary, Silverado EV did far better than Cybertruck. Cybertruck not only had regen issues downhill with the trailer, the Cybertruck had issues with regen without the trailer when acting as a camera car for this test. (37:45)

Zero issues with Silverado EV

Devils advocate, very few people have that use profile routinely. And, frankly, it isn’t healthy to sit static for that long anyway.

But range is an issue all the same with EV.

RST range estimate bumped up to 440 miles from 400 miles. Official launch soon I’m assuming. Price dropped around $10,000 to $96,495

Last edited:
@MrHorspwer Yeah, a pure play platform does not have to compromise, unlike a multi-use platform that is, by definition, all about compromise.
Many buyers do not know or care; people tend to be brand loyal. We have heard, "Wait till the big boys get in" ever since Tesla was no longer a flash in the pan. Of course before that, Tesla was going belly up and day now... Ha!

By the was, the downside of a bigger battery is cost, charge time, not to mention weight. Let's see how this thing performs.
I wish GM well with their EV ventures.
The fact its a "work truck" might give these things a bona fide reason to exist, but the other versions will be pavement Queens hauling one or two people between the malls. To get the larger number of miles you need a larger battery but because of the larger battery your range is takes a hit, so you need a BIGGER battery. Rinse and repeat.

The fact its a "work truck" might give these things a bona fide reason to exist, but the other versions will be pavement Queens hauling one or two people between the malls. To get the larger number of miles you need a larger battery but because of the larger battery your range is takes a hit, so you need a BIGGER battery. Rinse and repeat.
Kind of. The biggest issue is weight. This truck has range because it has a 212kw battery which weighs around 1,800lbs. I applaud the range that's been possible, one test showing 438 miles at 70mph which is absolutely impressive, but it's extremely heavy which is extra wear on road surfaces and exponentially more dangerous in an accident for weight and braking distance.

Most trucks are pavement queens anyway. The vast majority have spent less time on dirt roads than my GTI or Tesla.

@MrHorspwer Yeah, a pure play platform does not have to compromise, unlike a multi-use platform that is, by definition, all about compromise.
Many buyers do not know or care; people tend to be brand loyal. We have heard, "Wait till the big boys get in" ever since Tesla was no longer a flash in the pan. Of course before that, Tesla was going belly up and day now... Ha!

By the was, the downside of a bigger battery is cost, charge time, not to mention weight. Let's see how this thing performs.
I wish GM well with their EV ventures.
Arguably the big boys have better EVs, now. I know I wasn't considering EV until they got in.

800V is doing so well that the Cybertruck charges faster on dedicated 800V chargers than it does on the Supercharger network. There's a 1 to 1 comparision. It's hitting 330A on them.
I just don't hear of any M3P/MYP owners charging as quick as I do in my EV6 GT, so I'm going by that. Besides, higher voltage systems are electrically better, thermally speaking, etc. Physics and all that.

Back