2022 Trax

I'm getting a chance to do an oil change on my kids 2022 Trax next week which she bought new. It has 15k miles on it now. She lives in California, I won't see it again for another 15-20k miles. My question is should I do a drain and fill on the transmission?

When I did the first drain and fill on my 2015 Trax at 60k miles I was mad at myself for waiting too long, it was pretty black. I know the motor is different in the 2022, I think the transmission is too.

In any case should I do it? On my 2015 it takes about a 1/3rd out of the system if I remember right.

I would just to be safe. It's still the 6 speed so the same fluid you likely have will work.

Too soon. If it's at 15k now and you see it again with 20k more, it'll only be at 35k at that point. If something happens to that transmission by that time, it has nothing to do with the fluid.
My MIL's runabout car is a 2016 Buick encore and we did the 1st transmission service at 50k. The next one is about to be done in the next couple of weeks as it now has 101k. The manual calls for a 45k transmission service, but I went to 50k on it the 1st time and 51k this time and it's fine. I bet your Trax is also fine even though you went to 60k. ;) 🍻

I'm getting a chance to do an oil change on my kids 2022 Trax next week which she bought new. It has 15k miles on it now. She lives in California, I won't see it again for another 15-20k miles. My question is should I do a drain and fill on the transmission?

When I did the first drain and fill on my 2015 Trax at 60k miles I was mad at myself for waiting too long, it was pretty black. I know the motor is different in the 2022, I think the transmission is too.

In any case should I do it? On my 2015 it takes about a 1/3rd out of the system if I remember right.
I think you answered your own question…….Peace of mind is worth more than the time, cost and aggravation of doing the work, especially when it involves our kids!
I would sleep better knowing it was done, buts that’s just my OCD kicking in😉

These little GM 6spd ATs do blacken the fluid quickly. The good thing is most of them are easier than an engine oil change to drain/fill. If ATF is cheap and they're easy to drain/fill. Why not do it every 15, 20, 30K miles. I don't even need jacks, ramps, etc. to do this on a malibu.

Do they still use Dex 6 in 2022?

I've done 4 drain / fills on the 6T35 in my daughter's 2016 malibu (2015 body style). I bought it for her used with 81K miles on it. The ATF is maybe ~50% cleaner looking. Each drain/fill is 5qts. I used Castrol Transmax universal in it.

Back