2022 Forester 10,060 OCI 5W-40 Mobil 1

Al

Disappointing to say the least. I am going back to 5W-20. Sheared back to a 20Wt. oil. Probably not Mobil 1. I wonder if 0W-40 would have sheared back as much.

S035970-1.png

I wonder if they got your sample mixed up.
Your last sample showed quite a bit of fuel dilution. Blackstone regularly misses the mark on actual percentages of fuel in the oil.
With those two analyses, I wouldn’t push the OCI past 7,500 miles.
What does the owners manual say about oil change intervals? Every 6 months or 6,000 miles?

Well. I wanted to try 40 weight. Does that void my warranty...No. I wish to use longer intervals. Does that void my warranty?..No. I have a UOA that proves the oil didn't hurt anything. As I said. I am going with 0w-20 but I will extend the drain interval.

Long story short I do what I want within reason. I have the time to play games if they want to....they don't want to.

I'm not convinced there's no fuel dilution going on and because BS does not use gas chromatography, there's no way to know for sure until you use a lab that does use GC for determining fuel in oil.

What was the previous oil used in the 12/9/22 sample?

try some different oil brand,with a bit lower viscosity like ,Royal Purple 0w-20 or 5w-30 pcmo, or Valvoline EP.no need for 40w oil with that low mileage on car,,change out a bit sooner like 5-8k or 6 mo. depending on type of driving (hwy vs city).

And as noted there is no way to tell what may have caused a viscosity deviation. That UOA cannot distinguish between fuel dilution and mechanical shear. If it’s correct on the viscosity it’s highly unlikely to be shear of the VM.

That UOA is functionally useless unfortunately and as also noted likely in error. I’d make zero conclusions from it.

Well. I wanted to try 40 weight. Does that void my warranty...No. I wish to use longer intervals. Does that void my warranty?..No. I have a UOA that proves the oil didn't hurt anything. As I said. I am going with 0w-20 but I will extend the drain interval.

Long story short I do what I want within reason. I have the time to play games if they want to....they don't want to.
That car has stationary hydraulic lash adjusters and VVT. You don't want to go off the grid with viscosity. The HLA need a specific bleed down rate, the VVT phaser like a target viscosity to keep the cam in a good advanced angle for good torque at low and mid RPM. Important in a automatic.

These engines like the 0W20 Subaru oil. If you want a little more mojo, substitute in a quart of the Subaru 5w30 - its a good oil and has had some magic sauce in it in recent batches for surviving the older EJ turbo application,

- Alley Cat (from subaruforester.org)

9.15 is reasonable on a 5w-40 after 10k. If you are having some fuel dilution that 0w-20 is going to show up even worse after 10k. There's several 5w-40 Mobil oils. Would you mind sharing which one you used in this sample?

Those UOAs do not prove that your long OCIs are not hurting anything. They really can't tell you anything about deposits, especially without TBN, oxidation, and nitration tests. All they tell you is that engine wear is probably fairly normal.

If this is a daily driver, with 10k miles in 15 months, you're doing a decent amount of short tripping, including in cold weather. This will degrade the oil quickly, promote sludge, and is the reason the 6 month limit exists.

If you want to take chances with the warranty, that's up to you, but an extra oil change every year would cost you <$150 over the entire warranty period, would keep your engine in better shape, and would eliminate the need for UOAs. If you do stick with long OCIs, I'd at least get a TBN test.

Those UOAs do not prove that your long OCIs are not hurting anything. They really can't tell you anything about deposits, especially without TBN, oxidation, and nitration tests. All they tell you is that engine wear is probably fairly normal.

If this is a daily driver, with 10k miles in 15 months, you're doing a decent amount of short tripping, including in cold weather. This will degrade the oil quickly, promote sludge, and is the reason the 6 month limit exists.

If you want to take chances with the warranty, that's up to you, but an extra oil change every year would cost you <$150 over the entire warranty period, would keep your engine in better shape, and would eliminate the need for UOAs. If you do stick with long OCIs, I'd at least get a TBN test.
What’s the old saying? A penny wise and pound foolish?

Back