2022 Corolla Cross HPL PP 0W8 30,049 Mile OCI

img20230807_18121778.jpg

wowzer! Didn't think i'd see a 30k OCI today. This is a great report. The only thing I see was Nickel tripled on this last run. Do you plan to keep 30k runs? Thanks for sharing.

The wear metals trend almost exactly with the 20k OCI, meaning zero increase in wear with more miles than previous runs. What is the virgin viscosity? It looks like some oxidative thickening, but it sure didn't hurt anything. I would like to better understand how much thickening/oxidation can be tolerated and how that limit should be determined.

This is an outstanding oil for your engine. With wear rates that low, you can't wear it out.

I had asked Dave about the oxidative thickening a few months back; he relayed that in his opinion, he would consider when the oil crossed into the next grade (I.e, a 0w20 crossed into 30wt viscosity) would be his recommendation as a condemnation point.

But if he has learnings to share with the group, I’m all ears. 0.5ppm Fe/1k is a fantastic result! Thanks OP!

Doesn’t look like it had much of anything to filter out… since OP has been running HPL for a while. But yes, agree that a C&P would be great info as well!
True since I'd imagine he doesn't drive in any dusty areas, But 30k is still quite the number and those filters are small in size.

Umm… they ran the report 👍🏻
Actually we use wearcheck. We do this for 2 reasons. One to eliminate the question of bias and two, we do not like to run used oils in our lab equipment. We have much slower and more precise equipment as compared to a used oil lab. Very low wear rates here. Nice sample. Murray, you are on the right path.

David

Amazing! TBN 6.3, did you add much make up oil? Only worrysome item is silicon.
I can't speak for other oils but in viewing a lot of sample data on an off road fleet of ours, I do not typically see wear rates going up until the silicon gets into the 70's or 80's. The wear rates being so low I don't believe the silicon level is hurting anything here.

David

Actually we use wearcheck. We do this for 2 reasons. One to eliminate the question of bias and two, we do not like to run used oils in our lab equipment. We have much slower and more precise equipment as compared to a used oil lab. Very low wear rates here. Nice sample. Murray, you are on the right path.

David
Thank you sir, @wwillson pointed that out to me, and I remember you mentioned that… now 😉

Back