2021 Escape

Hi guys my daughter just bought a new Ford Escape with the 1.5l dragon 3 cyl. Ecoboost. What oil would you use in this thing. Ill be the one changing the oil. I told her to stay away from these tiny gdi turbo engines🥱🤦‍♂️ Are these any good? Unsure of oil brand or interval on it. Don't think I feel safe with 10,000 mile oci.

Last edited:
Has both gained and multiparty.
What in the world of autocorrect hell happened here?

But yeah, I'd stick with maybe 5000mi OCIs, use any Dexos full synthetic oil. Other than the first generation ford ecoboosts, the newer ones seem decently reliable like any other well built small displacement turbo engine, although at the end of the day it's a small displacement turbo engine, so frequent oil changes and full synthetic oil should be a given.

I'd agree Dexos1 Gen2/3 would be your friend in that engine. I've owned a tiny GDI Turbo engine for awhile, and at one point two of them. Watch for fuel dilution and keep intervals short unless you send off a UOA. I do 3 - 5k on my 1.4T LE2 Cruze, manual says 5k, but I'm tuned so I change a lot based on the type of driving and season so sometimes shorter.

I'm using M1 right now, but have used Castrol Edge a lot in the past. No problems with either.

What in the world of autocorrect hell happened here?

But yeah, I'd stick with maybe 5000mi OCIs, use any Dexos full synthetic oil. Other than the first generation ford ecoboosts, the newer ones seem decently reliable like any other well built small displacement turbo engine, although at the end of the day it's a small displacement turbo engine, so frequent oil changes and full synthetic oil should be a given.
Thanks for pointing that out! I changed it.

Hi guys my daughter just bought a new Ford Escape with the 1.5l dragon 3 cyl. Ecoboost. What oil would you use in this thing. Ill be the one changing the oil. I told her to stay away from these tiny gdi turbo engines🥱🤦‍♂️ Are these any good? Unsure of oil brand or interval on it. Don't think I feel safe with 10,000 mile oci.

I’ll be the first.

Read the owners manual.

I’ll be the first.

Read the owners manual.
That's a great recommendation if you wish to dispose of the engine shortly after the warranty is up, but Ford has tried to push far too long of OCIs on their small displacement turbo engines, the big ford tech channels on YouTube recommend not following the OLM and changing the oil much sooner.

I'd use whatever the cheapest synthetic is and follow Hyundai like severe service intervals if the car is driven short trips a lot in cold weather, etc... then change it closer to 4000mi if it's driven mostly highway 5000-6000mi is probably more reasonable. The filter is an oddball on this one, apparently the motorcraft 910s is the recommended part and Fram recommends the PH3614 but the factory filter on the car is stubby like an OPE filter, which might actually be preferable to the 910s or ph3614 because the oil filter is on the front of the engine and there's not much clearance to the radiator, cap wrenches and those ratcheting tools won't work well, you'll need a band wrench or filter pliers if you can't get it off by hand.

I just bought that exact same vehicle three Months ago / mines gray.

I changed the oil & filter at 1,000 miles to see if I could even do it / went OK.
I had to purchase Ramps and an inexpensive Driver (Walmart) to remove the 15 Shield fasteners.
I plan on doing 4,000 - 5,000 mile changes (myself).

I'm looking into what it takes to do the Transmission and Power Transfer Unit (PTU) fluids.
I believe both have Drain and Fill Plugs.

Also, be aware the vehicle probable does NOT have a spare tire / an Inflator and sealant is included.
I bought a full size spare tire on steel rim (and scissors jack) and sleep better at night.
At the very least, everybody should have at least a 'donut' tire.

So far, I do like the vehicle.

Edit: If you read the Owners Manual, it will say - if the OLM is not working, change oil every 5,000 miles.

Last edited:
That's a great recommendation if you wish to dispose of the engine shortly after the warranty is up, but Ford has tried to push far too long of OCIs on their small displacement turbo engines,

I’m not a fan of Ford either but I would expect better than that. Run the oil as recommended in the manual and determine the OCI based on the driving routine.

If the 8 speed transmission is anything like the 6F35 it replaced, then the only two options for leveling off the fluid are to have access to a lift or to do this pain in the ass thing where you jack the car at the pinch weld and remove the tire then level the car off on the jack and then pull the level plug while it's hot.
I’m not a fan of Ford either but I would expect better than that. Run the oil as recommended in the manual and determine the OCI based on the driving routine.
Their recommendation is Motorcraft synthetic blend or something meeting ford spec blah blah blah which is just API SP, I'd use any synthetic over that, when Dexos1 Gen3 comes around that should be the minimum anyone puts in their small displacement turbo cars.

Their recommendation is Motorcraft synthetic blend or something meeting ford spec blah blah blah which is just API SP, I'd use any synthetic over that, when Dexos1 Gen3 comes around that should be the minimum anyone puts in their small displacement turbo cars.

If that’s the case then I agree. I would run full synthetic. SP is decent.

I'd go with Quaker State 5W30 full synthetic. it appears to be on sale for just 15 to 16 bucks on walmart.com along with Quaker State Euro 5w40. They are both api sp and I believe the 5W30 meets dexos and the ford wss spec. If the euro is the same price and available I'd use that. It truly could not hurt but their 20 and 30 grade does meet the ford spec.

Every Service, Operations, Supervisor, PM, and sales guy (60+ Escapes), including my 2019, get 7500 mile OCI's with whatever quick lube they use.
We all drive in Boston traffic. No one's vehicle has blown up from syn blend. We're more worried about the 1.5L 4 popper head gaskets. (my engine was replaced at 18K). I use Jiffy Lube, who installs Pennzoil bulk 5W20 syn blend.

All that said, there are plenty of synthetic oil deals which make more sense than purchasing a blend at retail, however, I would still not worry about using a jug of Chevron 5W30 syn blend SP in a commuter turbo car. Best $5/jug on clearance I ever spent.

Every Service, Operations, Supervisor, PM, and sales guy (60+ Escapes), including my 2019, get 7500 mile OCI's with whatever quick lube they use.
We all drive in Boston traffic. No one's vehicle has blown up from syn blend. We're more worried about the 1.5L 4 popper head gaskets. (my engine was replaced at 18K). I use Jiffy Lube, who installs Pennzoil bulk 5W20 syn blend.
Note, never buy a used car from this guy

I just bought that exact same vehicle three Months ago / mines gray.

I changed the oil & filter at 1,000 miles to see if I could even do it / went OK.
I had to purchase Ramps and an inexpensive Driver (Walmart) to remove the 15 Shield fasteners.
I plan on doing 4,000 - 5,000 mile changes (myself).

I'm looking into what it takes to do the Transmission and Power Transfer Unit (PTU) fluids.
I believe both have Drain and Fill Plugs.

Also, be aware the vehicle probable does NOT have a spare tire / an Inflator and sealant is included.
I bought a full size spare tire on steel rim (and scissors jack) and sleep better at night.
At the very least, everybody should have at least a 'donut' tire.

So far, I do like the vehicle.

Edit: If you read the Owners Manual, it will say - if the OLM is not working, change oil every 5,000 miles.
Thanks for that! I saw a video on you tube he was doing the ptu and was saying how important it is to do at 30,000 then 60,000 after that. Seems easy to do. Trams not sure?

Back