2020 Subaru Legacy 2.5L / M1 EP 0w20 / 20,799 mile OCI

Screenshot 2024-03-12 235242.jpg

Oil filter was a Fram Ultra Synthetic.

I'd also bump up to 30. It's at the minimum
The ending viscosity of this sample is 7.89. The minimum for 20 grade is 6.9, so this oil looks to me like it's right below the midpoint of the 20 grade range of 6.9-9.29. And it looks like every other sample on this sheet has stayed in grade (barely).

Having a beginning and ending oxidation value would tell us a lot here. Blackstone does not test for this though.

A 375 flashpoint indicates more than 0.5% fuel. BS values are usually 2x-4x lower than results of the sample with gas chromatography, so I'm guessing your actual fuel% is 1.5% to 2%.

Is that FB25 engine GDI? If it is I'm very impressed that Mobil1 EP performed so well. I wouldn't go over 10K in a port injected engine let alone a GDI with all the soot they produce.

Reactions: FZ1
Strongly suggest not running such a long OCI without also checking TAN. Not saying the oil needs to be changed sooner, but you don't have a complete picture as TBN depletion tends to bottom out once you get into extreme intervals.

As mentioned above already, there's also the issue of whether GDI soot load in the oil is abrading components, even if the oil itself can make it this long. I used to do 15k OCI's on port injected cars, but limit to 5k in my GDI engines purely because of this. I don't bother with UOA's these days as oil degradation is not the constraint.

Check your airbox to see if the silicon is from dust. I've had sealing issues with an aftermarket filter on my Subaru. It's also easy to miss one of the lower hooks when closing it back up.

Iron/mile is worse than for your shorter runs. Normally it trends down over the OCI, then starts increasing again. I'd consider this to be a condemnation point. TBN is also uncomfortably low. A 10-12k OCI seems reasonable. I certainly wouldn't go past 15k again.

I'm curious what oil filters you used for the two UOAs that included a particle count. One of them is exceptionally good. The other is pretty bad.

I'm curious what oil filters you used for the two UOAs that included a particle count. One of them is exceptionally good. The other is pretty bad.
I probably posted it with my older uoa posts, but I’m guessing the good filter was the Fram Ultra Synthetic and the bad filter was a Wix. I can’t remember off the top of my head if I used anything else on this car.

Back