2020 F350 6.7l diesel- oil change at dealer gone wrong

I can't imagine a dealer showing a customer surveillance video like that. Also strange it would seize up that quickly.
It is a diesel. Lots of stuff to oil, and though the bearings are bigger than a gasoline engine they get hammered on more. And plain bearings need oil.

And ford diesels aren't the best. A Toyota (gas) will run without oil for a long while but ford diesels like to die from random design/quality flaws

Those 6.7 powerstrokes are known to be very slow in sending pressurized oil through the whole system. The gauge cluster oil pressure gauge is not accurate at all.

There are plenty of videos on YouTube that shows this issue. Dave’s Auto center on YouTube has a very good video demonstrating this issue.

The oiling design on these engines aren’t very good. Takes a long time for the pressurized oil to make it all way through the block and then up to the turbo pedestal.

It does sound like the dealer didn’t fill the oil properly or just messed up some other way.

It’s crazy because the R.O. will state something like (Oil and Filter Change / Diesel Engine - 15 quarts of oil).

It’s kind of crazy if a tech misses that. I work at a ford dealership.

But to be completely honest (just stating my experiences as someone that works at a ford dealership and sees this issue more often that I should), we do get lots of locked up 6.7 powerstrokes, or ones that are about to fail because of lubrication issues in our shop all the time, even after recommended oil change intervals were followed. Please don’t mistake it as all 6.7 are just bad engines. They are overall good engines! But some engine replacements are covered by warranty, and some are out of pocket because it is out of warranty. It gets very very expensive. One customer had to pay almost $30k for an engine replacement about 2-3 months ago.

Crazy, but the 6.7 (a great engine) sadly does not have the best oiling system. The engine relies heavily on left over oil in the bearings and passages for more than 10 seconds of running before the whole system gets pressurized oil. Do not start the truck and immediately put load on the engine. Let it idle for at least 20-30 seconds before driving!

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
Crazy, but the 6.7 (a great engine) sadly does not have the best oiling system.

Which of course is why many resist calling it a "great engine" with oiling systems being so important and all.

One would think Ford would have fixed that early on but apparently not.

Let it idle for at least 20-30 seconds before driving!

That's the thing to do with all vehicles

Back