2019 Tundra ATF.... Burned?

is it a combo engine radiator with trans heat exchanger normally?

Not sure what "normal" is with Tundras....

The heat exchanger is a small about the size of 2 tuna fish cans that flows radiator water to and from. ATF just circulates inside the heat exchanger. So you can't use it for a take off for an auxiliary ATF cooler.

The pre-2019+ has the heat exchanger with a thermostat behind it. Lines flowed from the thermostat to a cooler.

Again I'm just baffled why Toyota would perform ANY R&D on an ATF cooler! They concede a radiator works just fine but I suppose they will remove that one day to save $100.....

I recommend adding an aftermarket cooler such as a Mishimoto and doing a full fluid replacement. Toyota Tundra transmissions a very stout and reliable.

...Again I'm just baffled why Toyota would perform ANY R&D on an ATF cooler! They concede a radiator works just fine but I suppose they will remove that one day to save $100.....

If the radiator has a larger cooling area or is thicker (depth) or somehow has a greater cooling capacity then possibly it would have been ok WITHOUT towing.

Did you install an ATF cooler somewhere in the ATF flow circuit? If not you should install one with your towing situation.

Your fluid is highly oxidized so I would recommend an immediate exchange of all of the ATF.

I highly recommend you change the fluid over to something a little more "stout" than ws. Go with something like maxlife or redline d6. A little lubegard red might also help keep it cooler while towing. Just my 2¢. Hope you get many years on that truck.

When towing It spiked up to almost 160° on a long ~4% slope 90° ambient temperature.
If that reading is in °F, temperature is great. But I highly doubt it.
Transmission temperature point formulas change between generations and the readers can get it wrong if they don't have the latest updates. For example, in my RAV4, the formula changed in the middle of a generation, 2009 and 2010 use different formulas. Techstream software is supposed to be updated with the readings, especially for newer cars.

Most of the transmissions share cooling space with the engine cooling fluid and hence they get thermally at equilibrium, at around 185-190°F. An auxiliary cooler helps dropping that about 10-15°F, but only at speed, due to air flow. In stop-and-go traffic, the aux cooler is not so helpful and temperatures tend to go up. Using the AC in the car turn on the main fans at low speed, so that sometimes helps in that situation.
As a note, 175°F should be great for transmissions.

Your fluid is highly oxidized so I would recommend an immediate exchange of all of the ATF.
WS is known to get black super fast.
In general that's how the factory Toyota WS fluids behave. They oxidize very fast and Toyota says even not to check the level (so you don't add more oxygen in). In my RAV4, at 70k miles, it was a very dark, violet tint. But at least didn't smell burned, no towing previously. To me it still doesn't inspire trust. After all it's a fairly new introduced fluid. And the factory fill is not even synthetic.
I drained it multiple times with Valvoline MAxLife and final fill was with AISIN WS (Rockauto has it), because that's a full synthetic fluid.

20200209-121829-2.jpg

Last edited:
It does not mean that fluid is done. WS is known to get black super fast.
Almost every trans flush thread I've seen for a WS vehicle seems to start off with "OMG this fluid is shot!" photos. Yet some huge number of WS-fluid transmissions seem to soldier on with zero fluid changes, or at least not until much higher miles.

I'd rather have pristine looking fluid without the color shift (I run Maxlife) but I'm not sure I'd worry about it. If the trans cooler really has gone by-by then maybe just do some frequent flushes. I find it hard to believe the trans cooler is gone--but I also find it hard to believe that it was taken out willy-nilly either.

This thread doesn't make any sense whatsoever. If Toyota says it has a transmission cooler on the vehicle as part of the model it has it. If you are pushing 260 that is a bad thing.

!

My 2016 has a cooler, and thermostat. I’m astonished too hear that was eliminated in the tow package. That robust cooler was an important consideration in buying that truck. It’s about three feet long, ten inches tall and an inch a a half thick. Lots of area. Thermostat is external to the transmission. Fluid is routed directly to the cooler, the coolant isn’t part of the routing.

I flushed my factory fill (by pinning the thermostat open, idling the engine, and capturing the return line fluid in a bucket) at 25,000 miles, which included towing, and it looked good.

I used AMSOIL to refill.

Retrofitting the cooler to your truck is hugely important for the life of your transmission if you’re going to tow with the truck.

The truck has an oil cooler that is a coolant/oil exchanger right next to the filter housing.

Hmm, found a moment, it does appear that Toyota dropped the ATF cooler on 2019+. Very strange... it's like conceding defeat, like maybe they don't plan to be around for much longer... with that kind of boneheaded move.

Anyhow. Slippage is what makes heat, so I wonder if the fix here is to listen to the trans and when it's running with the TC unlocked, force a downshift, and hold it there. Not sure what Toyota is doing these days but my vintage won't lock up in 3rd and down. Only 4th and up will lock up. Point being, keep the revs high so as to minimize heat generation. If you find yourself running 2k or so for rpm, consider a downshift if the engine is working hard and if you can't tell if the TC is locked.

If Toyota says it has a transmission cooler on the vehicle as part of the model it has it.
That, in Toyota language, doesn't mean necessarily an auxiliary, separated cooler. It can be a shared bay within the main cooler. That's how the Towing Package is on the RAV4, as opposed to the "normal" heat exchanger round puck.

Last edited:
[QUOTE=" I'm not sure how or when the AC condenser option started but supposedly a change in the "freon" meant the could no longer use that design. So they just removed it! LOL!
The idea we'd have blinked an eye that the Tundra cost ~$500 more but boasted a HD ATF cooler....
Supposedly the over heated idiot light comes on at 302°! I bet it's on full time in the Toyota engineers offices! :D[/QUOTE]

I can't see how freon has anything to do with this for even if not separate the trans cooler is attached to the rad. The A/C has its own cooler.

Last edited:
Well this is stupid on Toyota to remove such a important piece of equipment. You don't want to overheat the transmission. I wouldn't tow unless I knew for sure the vehicle is equipped properly for it. My 2008 has a auxiliary cooler in front from the factory.

The 2019 Tundras have the new yf-1234a refrigerant, instead of R-134a.

Before 2019, the ATF cooler was a combined unit with the AC condenser. Top portion was atf cooler, bottom portion was the condenser. The new refrigerant must need larger area condenser to work properly, so the ATF cooler portion was removed and condenser enlarged.

Toyota says they have done extensive testing and the ATF cooler isn't needed. I'm sure they did testing, but I still don't have a great feeling about towing heavy loads without one.

[QUOTE=" I'm not sure how or when the AC condenser option started but supposedly a change in the "freon" meant the could no longer use that design. So they just removed it! LOL!
The idea we'd have blinked an eye that the Tundra cost ~$500 more but boasted a HD ATF cooler....
Supposedly the over heated idiot light comes on at 302°! I bet it's on full time in the Toyota engineers offices! :D

I can't see how freon has anything to do with this for even if not separate the trans cooler is attached to the rad. The A/C has its own cooler.
[/QUOTE]

Wow I am a dealership mechanic at Toyota and haven’t seen it burn like that. I also haven’t seen it burn in something this new so that’s pretty scary I think an ATF cooler should be installed and personally I think it should have had one from the factory like you wanted that wasn’t smart on their part steering you away from that especially if you are doing towing.

Comments like his are uncalled for. Good news is the truck still runs. I think the OP caught it in time and will have many more trouble free miles. Those Tundras are work horses that can match any full size truck in its class.

Reactions: wdn
Back