2019 Toyota Highlander Speedometer Off

The speedometer is off in our 2019 Highlander by about 3%. IE it says you are going 80 but everyone is passing you because you are only going 77.

What about the digital readout?

In my aunt’s 16’ Avalon, the needle will show 80 while the digital readout says 78. GPS confirmed the digital readout is correct.

In my 2015 Camry, it's an angle thing. The speedo is correct but when you look at it from the driver's position, the angle makes it read low. If you move to the right to look at the speedo straight on, it's correct and matches the digital speedo. I complained to the dealer about mine but they said there was nothing they could do. The digital readout in my Camry matches the GPS speed shown in Google Maps on my phone.

The speedometer in my parents 2013 Highlander is off by 2-3 MPH. The analog speedometer reads 2-3 MPH faster than the GPS speed on Android Google Maps.

EVERY one of like a dozen Toyota's I've owned, and still do, the speedometer always read faster than what you were actually going. It helps their safety, and fuel consumption ratings though.

As already stated, ALL car makes err on the side of optimistic when it comes to the speedometer. The reasons vary. Possible Liability for the car maker if a speedometer were to read low. Regulations in some countries stating that the speedometer CANNOT read low, etc.

Most cars I've driven the speedometers read about 1-2mph faster than GPS. The worst was my uncle's 2017 Toyota Tacoma, with cruise set, the GPS speed would pulse +/- 2mph (cruise set to 70, you would be doing actual speed anywhere from 68 to 72) but the speedometer needle didn't move however the tach would rise and drop ever so slightly. Yes the car has adaptive cruise but this was without anyone in front. Made for an annoying drive.

I've found that my 3 F150's have accurate speedometers. I use Waze (and other apps) (all are accurate) and the GPS matches the speedometer almost always. I've driven nearly 10,000 miles in the last 30 days and the one thing that I wonder about is the radar signs that show your speed. They always show 1 or 2 MPH slower than Waze or my speedo.

Back