2019 Lexus GX460, Factory Fill (Toyota/Lexus) 0W20, 3226 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
First oil change for this 2019 Lexus GX460 SUV (1UR-FE, 4.6l V8). Acquired with approximately 270 miles on clock. Mileage of 3226 (on fill and engine) is about 1/3 highway and 2/3 city/short trip driving.

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 183
Originally Posted by danez_yoda
High moly in this oil. Does Toyota 0w20 have this much moly or is it a special break in blend?

Or is it ASSEMBLY LUBE ? And not oil at all ...

My quick search of Toyota 0W20 (TGMO) VOA and a couple GX UOAs indicate moly in the 100 range. So, the number seems off in my UOA. I will check with Blackstone to see if the reported number is accurate.

Update:

Blackstone says it is NOT a typo and could be due to factory fill...

Last edited:
Serious moly level. I wish I could buy this oil for $16/5qts.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted by sds911
My quick search of Toyota 0W20 (TGMO) VOA and a couple GX UOAs indicate moly in the 100 range. So, the number seems off in my UOA. I will check with Blackstone to see if the reported number is accurate.

Update:

Blackstone says it is NOT a typo and could be due to factory fill...

I'm pretty sure the moly is 100% well within range for Toyota oil. I believe their 0w20 oil that you can buy from the dealership has the same amount. Honestly can't imagine moving from a high moly oil to a little no moly oil like Mobile 1 or Castrol.

Originally Posted by Gebo
Serious moly level. I wish I could buy this oil for $16/5qts.
crackmeup2.gif

You can buy the oil on Amazon for about $6.80 a quart. Not too bad for everyday pricing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BucDan
I'm pretty sure the moly is 100% well within range for Toyota oil. I believe their 0w20 oil that you can buy from the dealership has the same amount. Honestly can't imagine moving from a high moly oil to a little no moly oil like Mobile 1 or Castrol.

Why is that? Is Mobil 1 or Castrol under-formulated?

Most of the molybdenum is not from the motor oil.

TGMO typically has about 120 PPM of molybdenum.

Mobil One 0W20 has 80-100 PPM of molybdenum..

There are other friction modifiers such as Boron, Titanium, and organic FM's such as sulfates.

I would not focus on a single additive.

OP change in 5K miles if you like and I recommend another UOA around a year from now. It will provide a better picture. 8-10K miles should be very easily obtainable for this engine.

Slightly off topic - I have a 2019 RX350 - I should've purchased the GX460. Carry on!

Originally Posted by kschachn

Not necessarily, just that you go from 787 ppm per OP's post, down to 100 ppm. It's not the end all be all additive, but it's really nice to have.

Originally Posted by dave1251

There are other friction modifiers such as Boron, Titanium, and organic FM's such as sulfates.

OP change in 5K miles if you like and I recommend another UOA around a year from now. It will provide a better picture. 8-10K miles should be very easily obtainable for this engine.

120 ppm? That seems low according to OP's post above. If not from the oil, where does it come from??

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kschachn

Its because he was using Mobile 1....must be some Chinese knock off.

Bucdan, you may not realize that there are different forms of molybdenum. Some formulations like tri-nuclear moly don't require as much to achieve the same effect as the older formulations.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Bucdan, you may not realize that there are different forms of molybdenum. Some formulations like tri-nuclear moly don't require as much to achieve the same effect as the older formulations.

I see. I'm not too familiar of the science behind it all. Good to know!

I see. I'm not too familiar of the science behind it all. Good to know!

Which illustrates the pitfall in choosing a motor oil based on perception or Internet chatter. Or even worse, based on a singular element reported on a UOA.

Originally Posted by dave1251

A VOA from 2018 shows 787ppm:

http://pqiadata.org/Toyota_0W20.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back