2019 Camaro SS PUP 0w-40 3.7k miles

If the wear metals go up in the next couple of M1 oil changes I'd switch back to the PUP 0W/40 and see if the wear metals go back down. If they do, PUP 0W/40 it is.

Rod
This is not a very bright idea, as has been discussed ad nauseam on the board. Different brands of oil have different “signatures” that can taint interpretation of UOAs when one thinks that a few ppm of a “wear” metal is significant.

Mobil 1, for instance, will show “worse” iron numbers than say PUP or Castrol, but it is not statistically significant nor is it an accurate representation of “wear”. I’d much rather use an oil that meets manufacturer’s specifications with my new multi-$k engine rather than trusting a $30 test which is not the correct tool for doing what you’re hoping on a micro level. If you had millions of miles of trends to compare to, it may hold slightly more weight but not on a single sample without reference. Sorry.

OP, there are plenty of “approved” daily oils that will do just as good a job. Find one that’s available and you like, and save your money spent on UOAs unless you’re just really curious and can afford to basically double the cost of your oil changes. Your call 👍🏻

Back