2018 Subie Crosstrek 1st oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Other people have mentioned this challenge with this engine, so I approached the first drain with some trepidation.
This proved to be misplaced since the plug on our '17 came out with no special effort.
Part of the problem that people may be having with the drain plug and rounding may be a result of the awkward angle of the plug on the sump as well as the small hatch that Subaru gives you to get to it.
You do have to be careful to properly seat the socket. After that, a clean change is really easy with these as is the case with every Subaru we've owned."

This was helpful , been afraid to try...

On a brand new vehicle it's usually the paint that hinders the first loosening of the drain plug. I use a small sharp knife to score around the plug. The rest is brute strength.

I would rather use a longer ratchet like a 12-14" than hitting it with a sledge hammer. Then again, I was t there.

The filters are usually the hardest part to loosen in a new car.

The Subaru bypass setting on factory filters is 23 psi. The Premium Guard PG4615 filter has this exact setting and sell for $1.68 at Rock Auto. I have been running these to 7500 miles and they look fantastic upon the end of life inspection.

Originally Posted by Miller88
Originally Posted by goodtimes
Originally Posted by Miller88
DO NOT use a 12 point socket on the 14mm drain plug. For some reason they put the small drain plug in and then painted it. You can't fit a 13mm on it (or 1/2), but 14mm and 9/16 are lose on it. If you use a 12 point, you will strip it.

they make 17/32 wrenches,.sockets, how about that?

It might actually be the right size. Though, it doesn't use the American system, so I think 13.5 or "13,5mm" is more appropriate!

17/32 is 13.5 essentially.

http://mdmetric.com/tech/cvtchtfdm.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back