2018 Subie Crosstrek 1st oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I just cant pay the stealership $80.00 for 1st or any oil change when NAPA 0w20 on sale at $18.99 and Gold filter on sale.
Question is, most subbiefiles swear by Subbie filter (Framish) for warranty etc. My research shows me WIX/NAPA have same 27 psi bypass as oem so shouldnt be an issue. Any other recommendations for me?
OEM seems safe, but I believe there are better alternatives. I'd like to use K&N but U think by pass is too low...

I bought a whole bunch of black Tokyo Roki filters for pretty cheap on Amazon a while back...shipping for a single would have been prohibitively high, but when I ordered ten or more the total per filter price dropped under $4.
That particular deal has gone with the wind, though.
These are the filters that are on the cars when they are shipped from Japan, so I felt like they were good choices.
Don't like the blue cans in the US because I can feel the case flexing when I tighten them, but I did buy a bunch of them for my daughter's Impreza as the black ones for my car won't fit into the "cup" around the filter mount in her car.
She has a WIX on her car right now, was in a hurry to do her last change and didn't make it to the Subaru dealer in time so I stopped at O'Reilly...the one time I used one of these on my car the gasket wouldn't seal right no matter what I did, but the one in her car has been A-OK. I think I just got one with a slightly wonky gasket, bad luck for me but not indicative of a bad product overall.

I like the OEM Subaru filters and purchased multipacks w/ OEM crush washers through eBay that are verified Subaru dealers so overall cost was not that much more or even the same as aftermarket filters. If you choose to replace crush washers with OEM, I believe the washer seam goes torwards the drain hole and not facing towards the drain plug but I've read many posters saying that it doesn't matter with no leaks either way. You just got to get the torque correct when tightening.

The only concern is for the first time, there could be overspray from the black paint causing a very tight drain plug so don't get too anxious if you're exerting a lot of force to crack it loose.

Napa Oil and grade seems good for a clean engine at recommended 6k but I usually go earlier for the first one and then follow factory change intervals there after.

DO NOT use a 12 point socket on the 14mm drain plug. For some reason they put the small drain plug in and then painted it. You can't fit a 13mm on it (or 1/2), but 14mm and 9/16 are lose on it. If you use a 12 point, you will strip it.

Originally Posted by Miller88
DO NOT use a 12 point socket on the 14mm drain plug. For some reason they put the small drain plug in and then painted it. You can't fit a 13mm on it (or 1/2), but 14mm and 9/16 are lose on it. If you use a 12 point, you will strip it.
Hyundai and Kia have a similar problem on their manual trans drain plugs. Very thin head and a 24mm nominally. But a 15/16" six point fits perfect. If you use a 24 mm socket it slips and the thin head takes a beating.

Before anyone goes bonkers, the Purolator Boss PBL 14615 is a good filter for the CrossTrek. My son used it on his 18 CrossTrek (@2400 miles now) and I have used it on our 17 OB 2.5 with no issues. The start up rattle is subdued with the PBL14615 on the OB...…., vs. the original blue Subie filter. I am presently running the Fram Ultra 7317 on the OB and will go back to the PBL14615 next time.

Originally Posted by 1bioguy
Is it important to observe torque rating?

I've never used a torque wrench in 45 years of oil changes. Then again that's just me. Never had a leak or any other issues.

1st change on my 18 WOW that drain bolt is Tiiiiight!!!! Mine OEM filters only all cut yea it's a decent filter no problems almost 30k I like the engine never a drop burns. Zepro high moly 0W20.

Originally Posted by aba4430
Before anyone goes bonkers, the Purolator Boss PBL 14615 is a good filter for the CrossTrek. My son used it on his 18 CrossTrek (@2400 miles now) and I have used it on our 17 OB 2.5 with no issues. The start up rattle is subdued with the PBL14615 on the OB...…., vs. the original blue Subie filter. I am presently running the Fram Ultra 7317 on the OB and will go back to the PBL14615 next time.

It looks like the PSI rating on that is 20-30, which looks good for us Crosstrek folks.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by 1bioguy
Is it important to observe torque rating?

I've never used a torque wrench in 45 years of oil changes. Then again that's just me. Never had a leak or any other issues.

I agree.

I'd feel comfortable using any filter for which the application is listed by the filter manufacturer.
I've used an Ultra, a TG and the current Ultra on our '17 2.5 so far with no concerns.
Our '09 saw its last OEM filter when it left Japan with no problems.
WRT oil, I'd take advantage of either the M1 or Valvoline MIR and use one of their 0W-20s, saving some coin in the process.
I'd favor M1 AFE unless you can stack a killer deal on VME, as I did.

they make 17/32 wrenches,.sockets, how about that?

Originally Posted by goodtimes

they make 17/32 wrenches,.sockets, how about that?

It might actually be the right size. Though, it doesn't use the American system, so I think 13.5 or "13,5mm" is more appropriate!

Originally Posted by dave123
1st change on my 18 WOW that drain bolt is Tiiiiight!!!! Mine OEM filters only all cut yea it's a decent filter no problems almost 30k I like the engine never a drop burns. Zepro high moly 0W20.

I couldn't get mine off without some work. I was afraid of rounding it even with a 6 point. I ended up taking a sledge hammer to a 1/2'' drive 6 inch ratchet in order to get it off. I didn't want to yarn on it with a breaker bar and have more risk of rounding it.

Motorking told me the 7317 filters are OK for Subaru applications in Ultra or Tough Guard flavors or he might have mentioned that publically.

The specs on that Purolator look good, maybe I should try one and send it into '53 Stude for a teardown.

I use the Toyota 90915-YZZS1 filter for the FR-S/FT-86, made by Denso in Thailand and it's a fat and short filter that just clears the lip on the oil filter mount. I prefer the OEM Fram-made filter myself but I hate Subaru parts departments.

Originally Posted by dave123

I couldn't get mine off without some work. I was afraid of rounding it even with a 6 point. I ended up taking a sledge hammer to a 1/2'' drive 6 inch ratchet in order to get it off. I didn't want to yarn on it with a breaker bar and have more risk of rounding it.

Other people have mentioned this challenge with this engine, so I approached the first drain with some trepidation.
This proved to be misplaced since the plug on our '17 came out with no special effort.
Part of the problem that people may be having with the drain plug and rounding may be a result of the awkward angle of the plug on the sump as well as the small hatch that Subaru gives you to get to it.
You do have to be careful to properly seat the socket. After that, a clean change is really easy with these as is the case with every Subaru we've owned.

Originally Posted by nthach

Motorking told me the 7317 filters are OK for Subaru applications in Ultra or Tough Guard flavors or he might have mentioned that publically.

The specs on that Purolator look good, maybe I should try one and send it into '53 Stude for a teardown.

I use the Toyota 90915-YZZS1 filter for the FR-S/FT-86, made by Denso in Thailand and it's a fat and short filter that just clears the lip on the oil filter mount. I prefer the OEM Fram-made filter myself but I hate Subaru parts departments.

AGREED! I called the parts dept and they sounded like I was bothering them...NAPA here i come...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back