2018 Raptor 3.5 HO break in and oil questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I run Mobil 1 AP in my ecoboost. It is a thick, stout 5/30 that meets warranty requirements and is readily available. Just costs a bit more.

Originally Posted By: glock19
Originally Posted By: CT8
Read the owners manual ! Oil with the proper ratings is oil.

This. I'm not sure why people mess around with oil specs on new cars under warranty.
I doubt the oil choice matters so long as it is a decent oil and the engine looks clean on tear down.I called Ford and asked about running 0w- 40 in my 2015 ecoboost 2.7 because that is the oil I used on all my other Ford vehicles [ I have 3 Fords and 1 Toyota] the rep looked them up. The rep said Ford would have to prove the oil choice caused the problem. That being said as a retired "professional" and not an internet expert the owners manual is always a good starting point.

Originally Posted By: Fpm2026
Good morning, I’ve seen some posts about the eco boost engines and their beak in procedures. 2,000 miles at a semi synthetic oil then change to full synthetic from there on after. Is this the best and correct way?

Also I wasn’t sure if anything was different with the HO Ecoboost motor in the raptor in terms of OCI or break in that’s out of The ordinary . I was thinking of running redline 5w30 after my first oil change, but was wondering what my oil interval could be. I do not have the truck yet and was hearing the normal interval is 7-8000 miles with a motorcraft / mobile 1 full synthetic? I was wondering if the OCI would remain the same with redline. Or if not it would obviously be better to run such a great oil with with the turboed engine. I’m new to turbo engines also. as I was coming from a ram 1500 where I ran 5w30 Redline with Royal Purple Oil filter.

Is there anything I should keep in mind with a turbo engine? Anything to watch out for or make sure I am doing to take the best care of it. I plan on putting a lot of miles on this vehicle as I drive 20-25,000 per year.
Let the engine warm up before running it hard .Drive it easy for a few hundred miles them have at it not holding wot for long periods of time for a 1000 miles to be conservative, then have at it. Clean oil is happy oil. Let the engine idle down a few seconds and if running it hard for a bit longer as mentioned todays car turbos aren't like the turbo setups of previous generations.
enjoy the engine!

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
Rightly or wrongly , I have no need or desire for a vehicle with a turbo .
I love todays turbo engines. I did a review on a rental Chevrolet Sonic with a 1.4 turbo and when I whomped on it I was disappointed as it felt like a tiny engined front wheel drive car . After driving it a while I realized the low and mid range torque was really nice . My 2015 2.7 ecoboost F150 is nice to drive and it seems to have twice the power it really has and gets better Mpgs than the 84 ,92, 96 and 2006 Toyota pickups I have owned.I really like Toyota pickups and ford pickups for some strange reason.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

In this heat, water cooled turbo or not, I'd let it idle a minute or so after a long run before shutting the engine down if it has a turbo.

Uh oh... better tell Ford that info and to now discontinue the AUTO Start/Stop they use on Ecoboost engines.

Well a Federal agency has a lot of trucks with the 3.5 ecoboost and uses a genetic 5W30 which meets specs. The engine is not a troublesome spot on this vehicle.

Cool vehicle and I may buy one someday. The engine is nice but really does not need anything more then what Ford recommends in the manual. Just change it after a few months of break in, 2K miles? Then go 5K miles with a really good oil filter. I'm old school and you could use Motorcraft oil at the first oil change and then go synthetic oil after that...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back