2018 Ford 6.7L 99k mi; Motorcraft 10w-30 unk miles

I’ve read the forums for a while. My oil reports have always been fine on my old truck. I was fairly familiar with my LML. This is the first OA I’ve done on a Powerstroke, and first OA on an emissions intact vehicle. I’m a little puzzled. I did not do the last oil change, the paperwork supplied from the guy I purchased from states the dealer used 10-30. I purchased in Jan, dealer oil sticker indicated 5k interval was due around 100k. But either missing last dealer invoice, or oil was actually changed at 90k, as that’s the latest invoice he could find, and the sticker was actually for 10k but said 5k?

The viscosity has me a little perplexed, too high for a 10-30, but at 4K ish miles (going by what the prev owner states) would show quite a bit of viscosity loss from a 15-40, no? Lower flash point points to the fuel dilution being correct? However if that’s based off 10-30, and 15-40 was actually used, then fuel dilution would be roughly double the number stated? Any input would be more than welcome. The next oil change will get Motocraft 15-40, seeing as were out of the cold season in northern New England.

IMG_2653.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you describe the steps you took when you sampled?

If that was proper, I would lean towards a bad QC process on Blackstone's end before they delivered the report to you. Its well known here that they do not have the equipment to properly report fuel dilution, and viscosity. Their equipment was likely contaminated.

That certainly looks like a 40 grade to me that was put in that sump & according to the avg's this sample probably ran less than 7k.

Last edited:
With a TBN of 5.1 on a diesel engine oil, it's hard to say whether it went 5k or 10k miles, but either way, the oil held up.

Blackstone usually under-reports fuel dilution by quite a lot, so I'd say the oil used was probably an xW-40. A flashpoint of 375 F seems to indicate more than 2.5% dilution, which might indicate a fuelling problem.

Can you describe the steps you took when you sampled?

If that was proper, I would lean towards a bad QC process on Blackstone's end before they delivered the report to you. Its well known here that they do not have the equipment to properly report fuel dilution, and viscosity. Their equipment was likely contaminated.
Sample was taken hot, from the drain plug cracked open, after a full temp cycle as soon as I got home.

Good catch, It looks like it could be 10w-30 SP passenger oil & not HDEO.

OP: Here's VOA of Ford's F1 specified 10w-30 that shows much higher additive's.
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/voa-diesel-oil-database.362789/
That’s interesting. I actually didn’t really even pick up on that since I was trying to figure out the viscosity, combined with everything else based on the assumption the dealer actually put 10-30 in.

Update: Changed oil, took 13.5 qts out. Which works out to about 3.8% dilution? Quick math. Replaced with Motocraft 15-40.

As much as I understand that emissions systems are much better than they used to be. These kinds of things make it difficult to leave them alone.

Obviously either the dealer did not put in what they told the previous owner or something went wonky in the last 4.5k miles.

Last edited:
That’s interesting. I actually didn’t really even pick up on that since I was trying to figure out the viscosity, combined with everything else based on the assumption the dealer actually put 10-30 in.

Update: Changed oil, took 13.5 qts out. Which works out to about 3.8% dilution? Quick math. Replaced with Motocraft 15-40.

As much as I understand that emissions systems are much better than they used to be. These kinds of things make it difficult to leave them alone.

Obviously either the dealer did not put in what they told the previous owner or something went wonky in the last 4.5k miles.
You might want to sample again in 5k with the 15w40 you just installed and try a different lab for a more accurate fuel dilution percentage. One sample won’t necessarily do much other then make you speculate what if’s. Stick with your favorite oil and watch for consistency or trends over the next few UOA samples.

Exactly the plan. I’ve ALWAYS run Rotella T4 15-40. My lml was healthy and strong as an ox at 205k. No usage, no smoke, clean (relative to other diesel) oil every change (after being deleted at 100k), but the internet has convinced me to try Motocraft in this thing with all the different theories on oils in powerstrokes.

Exactly the plan. I’ve ALWAYS run Rotella T4 15-40. My lml was healthy and strong as an ox at 205k. No usage, no smoke, clean (relative to other diesel) oil every change (after being deleted at 100k), but the internet has convinced me to try Motocraft in this thing with all the different theories on oils in powerstrokes.
That T4 is approved for your Power Stroke too. I wait for Mobil rebate on their newer Delvac Extreme 15w-40 & comes out at a good price.

all the fuss over 1000ppm phosphorous and the motorcraft falls short of that "requirement"
The known Motorcraft oil that was tested in post #7 shows they do meet the 1000 PPM requirement. This example is not truly known other than whatever the dealer decided to put in after asking for MC.

The known Motorcraft oil that was tested in post #7 shows they do meet the 1000 PPM requirement. This example is not truly known other than whatever the dealer decided to put in after asking for MC.
noted

making me feel good about declining "complimentary" service on a truck with a value of $70k and a car of $43k

besides, I get to use my fancy harbor freight creeper!

Back