2018 F-250 factory filter CUT OPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: car51
Originally Posted By: CajunLariat
Why cant MOTORCRAFT have that company make their oil filters? I bet if they did and Purolator lost the contract they might then start making there filters better. My dad says theres nothing wrong with Pur. filters. I asked him then why havent you bought any lately. LOL.

PUROLATORS are total garbage. I must have CUT at least 100 and most of those were torn.

I'll stay far, far away from any Motorcraft and Purolator garbage

Of course we know that some of the MC filters are very good. The ones I use(MC FL 910 and MC FL 2017) have checked out very well for me. Others not so much,as C&P have shown.

Tig1: well, you always stated that the OIL you use is more important than the filter correct? Maybe I'm getting old or missed something
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: CajunLariat
Why cant MOTORCRAFT have that company make their oil filters? I bet if they did and Purolator lost the contract they might then start making there filters better. My dad says theres nothing wrong with Pur. filters. I asked him then why havent you bought any lately. LOL.

PUROLATORS are total garbage. I must have CUT at least 100 and most of those were torn.

I'll stay far, far away from any Motorcraft and Purolator garbage

Of course we know that some of the MC filters are very good. The ones I use(MC FL 910 and MC FL 2017) have checked out very well for me. Others not so much,as C&P have shown.

Tig1: well, you always stated that the OIL you use is more important than the filter correct? Maybe I'm getting old or missed something
smile.gif

You haven't missed anything. The oil you use is far more important than the filter you use. IMMHO. Now if any given filter is defective then that's another story. So far, after many years of my personal use, the two MC filter numbers I use, have been excellent in construction. The filters and the M1 oils I use have equaled many miles of quality performance. So I stick with them.

Last edited:
$$$$$$$$$$$
What else would it be? In the OE supply business it's all about meeting the spec for the lowest possible price, nothing more

Originally Posted By: Motorking
$$$$$$$$$$$
What else would it be? In the OE supply business it's all about meeting the spec for the lowest possible price, nothing more

Wait a minute now. This is same Jay Buckley that touted here and elsewhere on the net (youtube) that the now defunct "Fram Filtration" (Fram/Champ alliance) as the leading supplier of factory oil filters.

Low bidder certainly a possibility, and it would 'appear' Wix now has won the FoMoCo factory filter contract from Champ Labs. Much like the 'made for' filters like MicroGard, things can change. Doesn't/shouldn't automatically connote the change necessarily means inferior.

So you can't have it both ways imo. Can't claim it's all about "$$$" now, when previously touting being leading supplier of factory filters. Just sayin.

I dont see any mention of automatic inferiority along with low bidder meantioned by Jay.
21.gif
He just said companies switch suppliers driven by cost. Getting lower quality certainly could be something they also get by going with a low bidder, or maybe not - depends on many factors.

My point is there is an implication 'IMO', that low bidder could equate to lower quality when $$$$$ noted as the 'only' factor. And when touting Fram Filtration (Fram/Champ) as the leading producer of factory filters I never saw it mentioned that the reason was because they were low bidder and "meeting the spec for the lowest possible price, nothing more." Rather it was in my observation a point of pride and promotion here and elsewhere of what quality the filters they must be if the vehicle manufacturers chose to put their trust in FF. Thus the main point of not having it both ways.

Also as I remember, similar happened when O'R MicroGard changed manufacturers Fram to Wix, low bidder. Otoh, when Fram got the O'R contract from Purolator it wasn't noted as "low bidder", it was about the Fram made MG being a better filter.

Lot's of people "read into" what they want from people's comments. We see it all the time ... ie, like the secret "company rep" rhetorical tin foil hat talk of recently. What a joke ... kind of funny actually.

Maybe Fram was the low bidder on those contracts they had. One could "read into" that thought too, even though it wasn't specifically said by anyone. Just sayin' ...
grin2.gif

Poor analogy, but obviously as you repeat it often, you now have a serious chip about being labeled as such. Something btw I never did.

However since noted, when it appears that you are answering for Jay, with a post directly re'd to him it could lead some to wonder if there is some credibility to it.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Poor analogy, but obviously as you repeat it often you now have a serious chip about being labeled as such. Something btw I never did.

However when it appears that you are answering for Jay, with a post directly re'd to him it could lead some to wonder if there is some credibility to it.

I never said or implied you did ... looks like more "reading into" maybe. Like I said it seems to becoming a huge problem on this chat board.

And actually I think it's pretty funny that tin foil hat conspiracy guys have misconceived the whole "company rep" stuff. That's why I might as well "run with it" to show how ridiculous their conclusion is. It they want to call me out on it I'll respond as you've seen. Like I said before, anyone can go read all my post from 2010 to 2014 and see I was then a Purolator "company rep" for obvious reasons. Tearolator Gate happened, and all that is history.

As far as I know, there are no board rules about being a "fanboy" ... BUT, there are rules about accusing somebody of being someone who they are not with no information to back up that claim. If people make that claim seriously, they better be prepared to prove it.

We've always been "good" in our discussions, and I'd like to keep it that way Sayjac ... you know that I'm sure.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled

Car51 - it is close but not quite.

The PH820XL filter has the thread end bypass and blended media. WIX 51372 has a dome end bypass and "Enhanced Cellulose" media. WIX 51372XP has a dome end bypass and full synthetic media with a polymer backing. The NAPA 1372 (Gold)is the same as WIX 51372. NAPA PFL 41372 (Platinum) is the same as WIX 51372XP.

When I phoned Champion Laboratories about the PH820XL the representative said that model has dome end bypass after checking the model specific drawings.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
I called Champ Labs today and was transferred from Customer Service to Technical Service, whose representative said he was looking up info on engineering drawings & documents throughout the course of my questions.

1. Confirmed Champ XL filters are Made in USA

2. The Champ PH820XL has dome end bypass ( which dropped my interest.

LINK

Originally Posted By: WellOiled

Car51 - it is close but not quite.

The PH820XL filter has the thread end bypass and blended media. WIX 51372 has a dome end bypass and "Enhanced Cellulose" media. WIX 51372XP has a dome end bypass and full synthetic media with a polymer backing. The NAPA 1372 (Gold)is the same as WIX 51372. NAPA PFL 41372 (Platinum) is the same as WIX 51372XP.

When I phoned Champion Laboratories about the PH820XL the representative said that model has dome end bypass after checking the model specific drawings.

I called Champ Labs today and was transferred from Customer Service to Technical Service, whose representative said he was looking up info on engineering drawings & documents throughout the course of my questions.

1. Confirmed Champ XL filters are Made in USA

2. The Champ PH820XL has dome end bypass ( which dropped my interest.

LINK

Thanks for the post, I stand corrected...
blush.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back