New radiator construction I haven't seen before - can anyone point me to construction info?

2001 VW Beetle, radiator leaking from right tank/core seal when car sits for a week. Holds pressure fine when hot, but I ordered a new radiator. Bought a Mahle/Behr.

Radiator came in - header plates are galvanized steel, crimped to retain the plastic tanks, coolant tubes are 40 round aluminum tubes in a 2x20 arrangement, fins are 0.07mm thick stamped and slipped on the tubes. Tubes are RUBBER sealed to the header plates! Nothing is brazed.

I've never seen this construction before. I returned it for a Nissens, and that came in with the same construction.

I don't see a bar or plate that keeps the two header plates from blowing off.

How the heck is this radiator constructed? I've always had brazed aluminum cores, with crimp fingers on the plastic tanks, which is were they always leaked. I can't imagine having 80 rubber seals for the tubes plus the tank seals, to last as long.

Googling, I cannot find a cutaway or discussion of this construction style before. Anyone have a link?

IMG_0320.jpg

Are we sure they are rubber seals? I mean it looks like they are but I have not seen that either.
Yes, they're squishy :)

Just give it a try and report back. 🙂
I'm going to. The Nissens, the fins are just a tiny bit thicker. The Mahle Behr were folding under light finger pressure.

Again, I don't know how they're keeping the two sides from blowing off. Guessing they swaged or flanged the tubes from the inside?

I can find no information of this 'new technology'

Do you have access to a bore camera?
I do. Will see if it can snake around the bend to peer inside. Shooting for Monday to do the work as the fender liners, bumper cover and fenders have to come off to access the radiator. What a way to spend on my day off from work.

Yes, they're squishy :)

I'm going to. The Nissens, the fins are just a tiny bit thicker. The Mahle Behr were folding under light finger pressure.

Again, I don't know how they're keeping the two sides from blowing off. Guessing they swaged or flanged the tubes from the inside?

I can find no information of this 'new technology'
No, I get that, they are not maybe dampening material? I don't why they would have any but stranger things have been done.

Back