2018 Chevy Silverado or 2018 Toyota 4 Runner

You already have one SUV, why do you need another? You dont need to answer it to me, but think about it for yourself.

A truck is no harder to park than a Suburban.

When my family was looking for a SUV we quickly crossed the 4runner off the list. Its a cool vehicle, but not really practical. BTW are you going to buy a new $40k ish vehicle and take it in offroad situations where it will go where a pickup truck wont go? I know I wouldnt, maybe when its 8-9 yrs old.

Im not bashing toyota, my next truck may very well be a Tundra. Im just saying these are 2 different classes a vehicles. You need to really think hard about what you want vs whats practical for your situation.

If you care about off-roading get the 4Runner. Otherwise, go with the Silverado. I was between the same two vehicles and after driving them both it was no contest.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
If you're going to off road, 4 runner, otherwise I'd get the Silverado.
My brother goes upta' Maine for hunting. His '15 4 Runner handles those logging "roads" just fine.

That's not saying a whole lot. We drove hundreds of miles of logging roads in the North Maine Woods last summer in a Subaru Outback.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
4Runner if you want something that will last a long time with minimal issues.

I thought the 4Runner was part of the frame rot recall? I think that would be considered a major issue...

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals

I thought the 4Runner was part of the frame rot recall? I think that would be considered a major issue...

They are, but Toyota will usually replace the frame under the recall.

I've seen more examples of Silverados with high mileage than 4Runners. V8 domestic trucks generally wear and last well.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals

The frame rot recall was for frames that were improperly made by Dana Corp, for certain model years of the Tacoma, Tundra, and Sequoia. Those three models are built in the USA. Toyota won a multi-million dollar lawsuit against Dana Corp, for supplying those improperly made frames. Toyota replaced a lot of improperly made frames.

The 4Runner has always been made in Japan, so it has never had an improperly made Dana Corp supplied frame. So it has never been subject to the frame recall.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

I've seen more examples of Silverados with high mileage than 4Runners. V8 domestic trucks generally wear and last well.

To be fair-GM sells over 40,000 units a month Silverado/Sierra combined. The volume of 4Runners sold isn't ANYWHERE near that many. BTW-it doesn't mean they are not a nice SUV-but they are a premium priced one compared to others.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
This is drop dead gorgeous!!

That is a sweet truck. Nothing beats the utility of a crew cab pickup, plus it doesn't scream mall/grocery getter.

The new Silverado Z71 are the best looking trucks since the ram came out with its current design in 2009. My buddy has a 2015 Z71 4x4 double can with the 5.3l and it gets 22mpg on the highway.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Nice truck. Too much red paint on that truck.

Yep!-The only thing missing is a Fire Department Emblem.......

You like 4Runner and dislike the low front end of the Silverado. Have you considered the Colorado ZR2? Front valence problem solved and two locking differentials doesn't hurt. If that doesn't do it for you, how about the DSSV shocks or the choice of diesel or gas?

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/193970-toyota-4runner-frame-recall-campaign.html

Your point?

Because somebody owned an old and neglected 4Runner that rusted, years after any manufacturer rust warranty had long since expired, they should be somehow compensated?

I noticed in that linked thread a rotted away to the point of failure Ford Explorer frame too.

Frame rot is a known issue with 3rd gen 4Runners, the issue isn't isolated to Dana frames.

FWIW Toyota frame rot has always been a problem, even before Dana started making the frames. The same year Chevy frame didn't have these issues largely because of C channels and a heavier duty frame to begin with. Old Jeep CJs rotted too because of boxed in frames.

The 4runner is extremely overrated and overpriced for what you get. Unless you need a rock crawler, the Silverado beats it in every category except maybe parking and resale value (which the Silverado is still quite good).

Originally Posted By: A_A_G
The 4runner is extremely overrated and overpriced for what you get. Unless you need a rock crawler, the Silverado beats it in every category except maybe parking and resale value (which the Silverado is still quite good).

Your comparing two different vehicles as is the OP. "Beats it in every category" doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Back