2018 Chevrolet Equinox LT 1.5T AWD Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the curret turbo eco engines I really like the power being in the low to mid range as the cruise rpms are lower and it makes the engine seem way more powerful than is really is. I have rented a Chevrolet Sonic with the 1.4 turbo engine and put 500 miles on it and really enjoyed the car and I own a F150 with a 2.7 ecoboost engine.

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: dareo
I understand how turbocharging creates more output from a the same size engine. My point was that its demanding a lot from that size engine. It will result in slowness and premature wear. AWD, a tall SUV body, SUV tires, its a big ask. Even if its relatively light. It will be under more stress than a larger mill with less boost.

What do you think of the Ecoboost motors from Ford? 3.5, 2.7, 1.0 and forgot the others. The 3.5EB has been around for several years now.
200,000 mile 3.5 ecoboost. This is just one vehicle but there is potential.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I wonder why GM chose to mate the 1.5T to a 6-speed auto in the Equinox. Seems like the 9-speed would be a better match for a small engine in a 3500 pound vehicle. If I were in the market for an Equinox, I'd get the 2.0 turbo.
They use the 6-speed because its cheaper. The GMC Terrain sister gets the 9-speed (1.5T & 2.0T both) since its considered a premium brand, slightly anyway.
Of course if you get the 2.0T you always have to use premium gas with lower MPG. The chassis does soak up the higher HP though. It handles very well.

I noticed something strange-interesting: The Chinese made version (Buick Envision) weighs 500 lbs more than the Equinox, essentially the same chassis.
Also, the GMC Terrain weighs 400 lbs more than the Equinox.
I'm not sure if more sound deadening should weigh that much. I'd expect maybe 150 lbs more sound deadening, tops. The Equinox is the svelte choice, for no reason I can see!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back