2017 Toyota Tacoma SR5 V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can get aftermarket cruise and keyless entry at about 300 bucks for each one installation included. I would get a used truck that's what you want, though. I made that mistake myself a long time ago by getting a stripped down truck and having to live with it for 8+ years as a daily driver.

Originally Posted By: 007
I have been reading that the 2016/2017 V6 SR5 vehicles have engine and transmission issues.

Not sure if they've resolved them yet, but the 2016 I had briefly did. I bought a 2016 from a large used car dealer with a return policy (thankfully...).

Long story kind of short... Engine had no power low in the RPM range, but would race at the top end. Transmission always went to highest gear possible, on some hills it would almost come to a stop if you didn't give it a boot full of throttle when it would kick down a couple gears. There was "power" button that didn't seem to do anything.

I also had issues with the whole truck shuttering when slowing down. They had a TSB out for this, but refused to acknowledge they did... Which I thought was a special kind of odd...

The truck was a 2016 Tacoma quad cab (crew?) V6 Automatic 4x4 SR5. Even preowned it was like $33k with basically no options. I would say if you're dead set on a Tacoma get a manual, that should help with the trans/engine issues.

Or do like I did... Take a look at the Nissan Frontier. Fully loaded SVs or PRO-4Xs can be had less than a stripper Tacoma and are still pretty reliable. Much more truck like as well. I've had quite a few vehicles in the past 12 years or so (I like to jump around) but the Tacoma was the first one I regretted immediately.

Last edited:
Gas Mileage

Personally, I would get a fullsize that's got more capability. I'm amazed there's virtually no gas mileage difference between Toyota compacts and every domestic fullsize on the market.

Thanks guys, looking at the V6 but I have noticed that 2016/2017 have [censored] reviews even for Toyota!

Originally Posted By: 007
I have been offered a great deal on a new 2017 Tacoma 4cl. double cab at $15K but it does not have things like keyless remote, cruise control and intermittent wipers. Can these things be added aftermarket without being crazy expensive?

Counter back to the dealer that price of 15k with the added options you mention included. Then see what they say. Those are all kind of must haves that you mention. Even the 05 Matrix has all of those features. Even the rear wiper can be set to intermittent.

With my trade I can get a Red 2017 SR5 V6 dbl cab with tow package for around 20K out the door. Going for a test drive tomorrow to see If I feel the transmission issues many complain about.

How much are they giving you for the Camry? I'm guessing about 10k which is prob a little low for such low miles.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
Originally Posted By: mcrn
Test drive the 4cyl.....low hp and horrible mpg

...and last forever.

Yes that is true.....and this is just me....but if I get a vehicle I plan to keep THAT long....I want something that has more power and more enjoyable to drive.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
Test drive the 4cyl.....low hp and horrible mpg

...and last forever.

Yes that is true.....and this is just me....but if I get a vehicle I plan to keep THAT long....I want something that has more power and more enjoyable to drive.

Exactly. Life is too short to pinch every penny and buy cheap stiff. I learned that the hard way BTW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back