2017 Corolla CVT fluid choices besides the dealer

Planning on a pan drop to change the filter, then as many secondary drain and refills as needed to get the fluid clean. I have no idea how old or clean the fluid is now but the transmission feels great. The Toyota FE fluid at the dealer is $17 a quart. I can buy Aisin ATF-TFE from Rock Auto for $8.87 delivered or Idemitsu TLS-FE locally for $10.17. Any other choices besides the universal CVT fluids?

How many miles on your Corolla? :unsure:

There is nothing wrong with Aisin, idemitsu, Valvoline CVT, or Amalie CVT (they also make the house brand for Autozone and AAP)

What color is the factory Toyota CVT fluid? Valvoline and Amalie are amber, while Cam2 and Transtar are green.

Just do yourself a favor and purchase the OEM Toyota fluid, you will most likely need no more than 4 quarts per drain/fill, This is such a infrequent service that there is no genuine reason to go aftermarket when an OEM option is available.

How many miles on your Corolla? :unsure:

Just do yourself a favor and purchase the OEM Toyota fluid, you will most likely need no more than 4 quarts per drain/fill, This is such a infrequent service that there is no genuine reason to go aftermarket when an OEM option is available.
Find it hard to believe Toyota makes their own fluid and doesn't repackage the brands I mentioned. It's an 8 quart capacity so probably at least 3 drain/fill cycles. That's $215 with Toyota brand vs. $105 for the others.

Did this one receive a valve body replacement under the J0D or JSD campaigns?
No idea. What is that for?

Find it hard to believe Toyota makes their own fluid and doesn't repackage the brands I mentioned. It's an 8 quart capacity so probably at least 3 drain/fill cycles. That's $215 with Toyota brand vs. $105 for the others.

They don't make their own fluids, they typically source from Exxon Mobil, I have some ATF T-IV which shows Exxon Mobil.

The point of going OEM is you don't have to worry about it you know it is right especially when it comes to CVT's, the only other brand I would go with would be AISIN which is Toyota, if they offer the correct CVT fluid and you can get it at a good price then I don't see a problem going with AISIN, just be cautious of counterfeit because believe it or not counterfeit fluids exist too.

How often has the fluid been changed in the 250k? :unsure:

You only need to do the 3 cycles if it's never been changed before. Otherwise, one drain and fill every 30-60k is sufficient.

Many people use castrol transmax in their toyota cvt's. Some guy on here changed the fluid in his scion cvt which is also an aisin unit recently and only had good things to say. I posted a link to that on the first post you made about this corolla you bought.

Reactions: JTK
Back