2017 Chrysler Pacifica

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by burla
The rfe's can be upgraded to be near bullet proof, but it aint cheap, first valve body springs, pistons, solonoid, plate, couple small things, then you will need a tune for line pressure, and then you look at the transmision upgraded. Then you get to easy stuff like drain pan and metal thread upgrade to accept synthetic filtration.

Couple great video's...

rfe trans upgrades

rfe valve body

The issue with the 8 speed, they are known as disposable tranny's, $4500 to replace the entire thing. Not easily servicable, over 1200 to get a fluid flush, and you cant even check the fluid level w/o a part one and two dyi video process. Sean's evo diesel Chabbel has a decent flush procedure, but it is nothing like the rfe's. Here's the difference, rfe's are very prone to problems but can easily be upgraded and improved. The 8 speeds are more reliable out of the gate but not very buildable, certainly nothing like the rfe's. Plus I don't like the entire mechanically heated fluid thing personally, there are a decent percent of these tranny's that simply operate over 225f. Something very very rare with the rfe. It is a mixed bag, maybe the edge going to the 8 speed because they really do get better mileage, no joke. To much bogging in the rfe's if you don't tune out the shift points. Rams got mileage upgrade from 545rfe to 68rfe, and then again with the zf8, it's no joke well over 5 real world mpg's. Maybe they will be easily buildable in the future.

There is already people building and upgrading the ZF 8 speeds. My friend was one of the first people to supercharged his 8 speed Durango R/T... first tuner fried the transmission with poor tuning. he now has a built 8 hp70 pushing ~500hp to the wheels with good tuning. Stock they put about 250 to the wheels.

The 68RFE was never used in place of the 545RFE... the 68RFE is for Cummins powered Ram trucks. Unless you mean the 65RFE, which other than an improved torque converter and slightly different software, is identical to the 545RFE. Same shift patterns, same gear ratios, just the 65RFE lets you use all 6 gears when using range select instead of 5.

Yes thank you, I meant 65, what year was his car? I know most guys I have talked too are having an issue getting an unlocked PCM. Figured it was a matter of time before they are buildable, they are un upgrade over the rfe's for sure. At the same time, I like my rfe because it is very easliy buildable and servicable for me.

Originally Posted by burla
Yes thank you, I meant 65, what year was his car? I know most guys I have talked too are having an issue getting an unlocked PCM. Figured it was a matter of time before they are buildable, they are un upgrade over the rfe's for sure. At the same time, I like my rfe because it is very easliy buildable and servicable for me.

His is a 2014, first year for the 8 speed in the Durango. 2015 or 2016 was when they encrypted the PCM, which they still haven't really found a real way around other than swapping in an unlocked PCM. He said the upgraded 8 speed with the significantly better tuning is worlds better.

My 2011 had the 545RFE. The cliff dive from 1st to 2nd gear always bothered me. If they'd have put them a little closer together I think it'd be a great transmission... but fluid changes were dirt cheap.

Yeah, he has the one year you can navigate the build w/o a pcm, but as stated the new zf8's are harder then those rfe's to upgrade. I can't stand the low rpm's that the rfe allows, especially 3rd and 4 gear. I drive in tow haul 24/7 and have since 2011. Poor man's tune right there. I know a lot of guys who are trying to delete the heated transmision, they can't even seam to get that done. The rfe's did that one or two years, but it is as simple as chnaging a valve, and that does two things stop the tranny oil from heating and prevents clogging which is a fairly large issue with those rfe's that have that valve.

There is a level in between the 545/65RFE and the 68RFE. The 66RFE is the engine they put in 3/4-1 ton Rams from 2012 or so and on, basically the gearset and internals from the Cummins trans in the 545RFE case and it used all six gears.

For the original topic, I don't know how badly vehicles rust in Nebraska but that's the other thing I'd check out on that Pacifica. I've seen dealers here in PA sell vehicles they bought at auction from really bad rust belt states for cheaper than one that was a local trade in... The GMC in my signature is an example of that unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back