2017 Cadillac ATS 2.0T - Recommended Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
I just don’t understand the benefit to running an aftermarket filter for such a short OCI. The engine techs will be very skeptical of an engine coming in for warranty with a brand new filter with no oil in it...
Put some dirty oil in it before installing. Then rub some dust/oil on the outside, nick the paint once or twice. Guerrila tactics to counter possible idiocy from GM. Fight fire with fire.
1JZ_E46, you must have missed webfor's previous experience with a Purolator-style tear in his AC-Delco PF64, taken by many to be an indication of poor quality and a risk of future tears.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
I like your approach (run OEM 2k miles), but I would use an OEM filter. Don’t give them any reason to second guess what oil is in there. Plus, OEM filters are usually pretty high quality and consistent. And you’re OCIs will be pretty short for the filter.
In the unlikely event of engine trouble, we can run over to the car and quickly put on a PF64 to appease the GM warranty demons. Problem solved.

I just don’t understand the benefit to running an aftermarket filter for such a short OCI. The engine techs will be very skeptical of an engine coming in for warranty with a brand new filter with no oil in it...

This is why:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4709081/ACDelco_PF64_-_C&P_-_T

No more paper filters for me.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Put some dirty oil in it before installing. Then rub some dust/oil on the outside, nick the paint once or twice. Guerrila tactics to counter possible idiocy from GM. Fight fire with fire.
1JZ_E46, you must have missed webfor's previous experience with a Purolator-style tear in his AC-Delco PF64, taken by many to be an indication of poor quality and a risk of future tears.

I like how you think sir!

Yes, PF64 is a cheap paper filter. Not interested in running that on my new engine.

“In the unlikely event of engine trouble, we can run over to the car and quickly put on a PF64 to appease the GM warranty demons. Problem solved.”

If you can sleep at night.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
“In the unlikely event of engine trouble, we can run over to the car and quickly put on a PF64 to appease the GM warranty demons. Problem solved.”

If you can sleep at night.

LOL, I'm sure GM sleeps well pumping out paper filters that tear.

Originally Posted By: webfors
This is why:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4709081/ACDelco_PF64_-_C&P_-_T

No more paper filters for me.

Fair enough.

Cadillac provides oil changes at no cost to you. They will use the full synthetic AC Delco 5W-30 oil with an AC Delco oil filter. If you want to do the oil changes on your own, go Mobil 1 5W-30 or Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30 with a Fram Ultra oil filter. Problem solved!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
Cadillac provides oil changes at no cost to you. They will use the full synthetic AC Delco 5W-30 oil with an AC Delco oil filter. If you want to do the oil changes on your own, go Mobil 1 5W-30 or Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30 with a Fram Ultra oil filter. Problem solved!

My plan is to do both
grin.gif

My plan is to do both
grin.gif

I do the same thing on my CTS-V! LOL!

My plan is to do both
grin.gif

I do the same thing on my CTS-V! LOL!

CTS-V
20.gif

I never did follow up on this thread. I ended up buying 15 jugs of Castrol Edge 5w30 Dexos 1 Gen 2 at Walmart for $15 a jug. I couldn't pass it up. Has the right spec and viscosity. Now if I could just fine a PDS for that oil I would be happy
grin.gif

This is the most accurate I could find:

https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/CE9BF20358A9348E80257FAA00722E1B/$File/BPXE-AA5D3W.pdf

Doesn't mention the Gen2 spec though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back