2017+ 6.7 powerstroke oil consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have 1 2017 F550 6.7 and 2 2018 F550 truck's in our fleet. They are all using oil, both the ‘18s at an alarming rate. Approx 2.5-3 quarts per 1000 road miles. These trucks have between 15-20k miles with between 3000-4000 hrs. I'm convinced the emission system is to blame as they've have to regen at least once per day. Since new, and more as of late (likely because of the oil consumption). Ford dealer seems baffled by this and have never seen it. We have one at dealer for warranty telling me that the front cover leak is to blame and I told them no way. It never leaves marks on the ground.

Basically my question is doesn't anyone else have this issue with their new 6.7s? We have many other trucks we with same engine with 4 times as many hours and don't use a drop.

Forgot to add, trucks are fed a diet of bulk 15w40.

Last edited:
For sure that's what is going to happen but I feel a fight coming

To add, the trucks never used any oil until the 3000 hour mark

Last edited:
Have you tried a different brand of 15w40? Same consumption with different brands of oil?

Regen once a day is of course crazy . . .

Last edited:
I would think I would see some kind of liquid residue on the pipe connections before the exhaust filters going through this much oil. There is none. There is only 1 turbo on the 6.7. I think the regen bank cylinders are taking a beating from the regens. The service the truck sees is As bad as it gets.

As far as a different oil, not going to happen. There are 40 vehicles that use this oil they won't buy oil special for 3 trucks. Like I said before it never used any oil until then 3000 hour mark then it started drinking it as fast as it drinks fuel.

Last edited:
Assuming lots of extended idling, which is horrible for the emissions equipment. Know it's tough to delete while still under warranty, but may help? Maybe trying deleting one of them and see what happens?

I have no doubts deletes will save the engines. But the damage is already done with the current engines. I have asked my boss if I could put delete kits on them. I've half convinced them. Definitely when they are out of warranty I will.

Part of me wants to overhaul them myself and delete them as we haven't had good luck with ford reman powertain units in these trucks. I started overhauling the engines and transmissions myself years back

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mattd
These trucks have between 15-20k miles with between 3000-4000 hrs. ...

crazy2.gif

Really?

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by mattd
These trucks have between 15-20k miles with between 3000-4000 hrs. ...

crazy2.gif

Really?

Yes. The trucks run at least 12 hrs per day.

We will find out. I can't see slightly thicker oil causing this type of problem. And yes the regens complete. They'd have to sample the oil to find out the viscosity anyway

Last edited:
Have you performed a UOA to check fuel dilution? I would opine it is very high--especially with a daily regen. What is your OCI?

Once a month, or every 2000 miles. Right in line with the OLM. They won't pay for a UOA. I'm sure the fuel dilution is high.

OP you seem to be a very mechanical type of guy
It would be very interesting to do a delete on one truck to see the difference
Maybe you could do a little trickery on the side to find out ðŸ‘

Yes, the CCV box is clear. The trucks run fine other wise with no performance issues other than the crazy oil consumption which is very odd. I would love to pull the motor and tear it down to see what happened. Unless they try to deny any warranty claim I don't think it will happen. There maybe some red flags though with 3 trucks all with the same problem...

As I stated before we have several other 6.7 powered trucks as well as 6.4, 6.0 and DT466, and these new 6.7 trucks are the only ones that consume oil. One of the older 6.7s with all emissions equipment in tact with 19000+ hrs doesn't burn a drop.

The oil consumption increased rapidly from a half quart/1000 to 2.5-3 quarts in a span of 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back