2016 Avalon 10,000 miles Mobil1 EP 0W20

First ever 10,000 mile oil change interval, and first ever oil analysis. Looks pretty good. Absolutely ZERO makeup oil added. Mixture of 70% highway driving and 30% around town/shorter trips. About 2 months of this interval was during winter/freezing temps, the remainder was warm weather. Pretty pleased overall that the engine seems very solid at 98,500 miles. Not sure if I’ll do another 10,000 change - I usually keep them to 5,000 miles - but I may give it one more try, as I am running the Mobil1 EP once again.

Filter was a Fram Ultra Guard. Might post pictures of the filter because it looks great (well made).

Attachments

• B94590DE-A80E-4009-AF20-F27137D00311.jpeg
    B94590DE-A80E-4009-AF20-F27137D00311.jpeg
    173.9 KB · Views: 293
Looks good. Can be a bit nerve racking going 10k for the first time. I did it with my 17 3.6 Outback and Fram Ultra filter. I settled on 8k as my comfort zone for my driving conditions. Mobil 1 EP is a heck of a stout oil. Let us know what you intend for future OCI's.

Here’s some pictures of that Fram Ultra Guard.

I bought it at Walmart for $10? Or was it $12? I can’t remember, but I do remember opening it up in the store and someone had replaced the Ultra Guard with a cheaper looking filter. So I grabbed another off the shelf and sure enough, it was a totally different looking filter.

Must say I really “liked” this filter…the look of it, the construction. I mean, here I am getting all nostalgic over a filter, but the thing just seemed “good”.

Anyway, after 10,000 miles it looked as if it could go another 10,000 easy - which I guess shouldn’t be a surprise, it’s a 20,000 mile filter.

Attachments

• FB787528-4E9F-4508-951A-ECDCEA80F84B.jpeg
    FB787528-4E9F-4508-951A-ECDCEA80F84B.jpeg
    125.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 30FC97DB-BE5E-47DE-8EDE-71D2843EC182.jpeg
    30FC97DB-BE5E-47DE-8EDE-71D2843EC182.jpeg
    112.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 3D903E93-07B7-4B1E-9A96-96B674108BD5.jpeg
    3D903E93-07B7-4B1E-9A96-96B674108BD5.jpeg
    80.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 381E702E-A320-49B9-8FA3-3891FE4997AC.jpeg
    381E702E-A320-49B9-8FA3-3891FE4997AC.jpeg
    164.9 KB · Views: 40
Looks good. Can be a bit nerve racking going 10k for the first time. I did it with my 17 3.6 Outback and Fram Ultra filter. I settled on 8k as my comfort zone for my driving conditions. Mobil 1 EP is a heck of a stout oil. Let us know what you intend for future OCI's.
It definitely was a little bit nerve racking for me; first off the peer pressure alone was tough (I work with guys that dump their oil at 3,000 miles using synthetic), then there was my own philosophies (typically 5,000 miles and then dump it), then there was the oil and filter (which I’ve never used before), and lastly there was a thought process of that I was going to bump my viscosity up to 5W30 when the vehicle hit 100,000 miles...and I’m still tossing around that idea. But it’ll have to wait - I have the Mobil1 EP 0W20 in it again and will most likely take it 10,000 more again.

So a lot of against the norm type stuff for me.

I see by your Avatar that you might be a NH guy, which would mean we lI’ve and drive on the same salt filled roads. Haha. We have some tough winters that most wouldn’t understand.

My wife’s 13 ES350 is due an oil change according to the olm. I have the Mobil1 ep 5w20 on the shelf but I’m pondering resetting the olm and and going another cycle. :eek:

My wife’s 13 ES350 is due an oil change according to the olm. I have the Mobil1 ep 5w20 on the shelf but I’m pondering resetting the olm and and going another cycle. :eek:
The OLM on that thing is set to 5,000 miles, correct? At least that’s what I remember by those 3.5 V6’s.

Yeah, I mean technically I have the same engine and it handled it very easily. If I remember the 2013‘s were spec‘d for 5W30? Could be wrong on that.

After my next oil change, I’m pretty sure I’ll be bumping mine up to a 5W30 and just stay with that. I’ll be at around 110,000 miles when I make the switch. These are really great engines.

That's a gutsy move for such and expensive car. It appears it doesn't hurt anything to go 10,000 miles on the same oil since many posters here do the same. I have the EP in my Corvette right now and will see how it works. Your oil filter looks amazing for the miles. I always liked the Toyota Avalon.

It definitely was a little bit nerve racking for me; first off the peer pressure alone was tough (I work with guys that dump their oil at 3,000 miles using synthetic), then there was my own philosophies (typically 5,000 miles and then dump it), then there was the oil and filter (which I’ve never used before), and lastly there was a thought process of that I was going to bump my viscosity up to 5W30 when the vehicle hit 100,000 miles...and I’m still tossing around that idea. But it’ll have to wait - I have the Mobil1 EP 0W20 in it again and will most likely take it 10,000 more again.

So a lot of against the norm type stuff for me.

I see by your Avatar that you might be a NH guy, which would mean we lI’ve and drive on the same salt filled roads. Haha. We have some tough winters that most wouldn’t understand.

I moved from 5-20 to 5-30 in my F150 and later Ford back specked 5-30 for the 5.0 Coyote. My 3.6 Subaru calls for 5-30. My kids 12 Rav4 is getting 5-30 as well. I've only used Fram Ultra filters on my F150 (62k) and the 3.6 Subaru (115k). The Ultra's have been great filters for my applications. 10K Seems to be an easy run for the Ultra's.

I dropped to 8k for my own piece of mind and I worry about long OCI's and the affect on timing chains. At 10k with my engines (your Avalon engine as well) probably not an issue but it bothers me so I found 8k and UOA's a comfort zone. Good luck and nice to have an Avalon. Great cars.

I was born/raised in New England but now live in "Upstate" NY. Lots of hills and salt here. I'm in VT and NH a lot all year round for mountain biking and hikes, some canoe trips as well.

Nice report. Great combo of the Mobil EP with the Ultra 😁.
And that engine…..I believe Mother Toyota is phasing it out and going with the 2.4 four cylinder turbo. Just when they finally dialed it in.

IIRC Toyota has ditched the Avalon altogether. Now there is like a dozen Camry models.

I moved from 5-20 to 5-30 in my F150 and later Ford back specked 5-30 for the 5.0 Coyote. My 3.6 Subaru calls for 5-30. My kids 12 Rav4 is getting 5-30 as well. I've only used Fram Ultra filters on my F150 (62k) and the 3.6 Subaru (115k). The Ultra's have been great filters for my applications. 10K Seems to be an easy run for the Ultra's.

I dropped to 8k for my own piece of mind and I worry about long OCI's and the affect on timing chains. At 10k with my engines (your Avalon engine as well) probably not an issue but it bothers me so I found 8k and UOA's a comfort zone. Good luck and nice to have an Avalon. Great cars.

I was born/raised in New England but now live in "Upstate" NY. Lots of hills and salt here. I'm in VT and NH a lot all year round for mountain biking and hikes, some canoe trips as well.
Yeah I’ll probably settle in on 7,500 intervals after my next 10,000 mile run, and feel pretty good about those intervals.

I’m a big mountain biker myself. Vermont has some nice areas…never been for biking but I hear the Kingdom Trail network is pretty good.

Nice report. Great combo of the Mobil EP with the Ultra 😁.
And that engine…..I believe Mother Toyota is phasing it out and going with the 2.4 four cylinder turbo. Just when they finally dialed it in.
I believe the new Tundra is an extension of this 3.5 V6 (2GRFE), which has now evolved into whatever it’s called now…plus a pair of turbos.

But I will say, this engine has been the tightest engine I’ve ever owned. They really had this thing dialed in the 2016 - which I think was the last year before they went to direct injection.

That's a gutsy move for such and expensive car. It appears it doesn't hurt anything to go 10,000 miles on the same oil since many posters here do the same. I have the EP in my Corvette right now and will see how it works. Your oil filter looks amazing for the miles. I always liked the Toyota Avalon.
Thanks, yeah it was a weird feeling going that far, but I checked the oil level frequently, and it never lost a drop. Oil always looked good along the way.

I guess my question now is…the wear metals were so low for a 10,000 mile oil change…was that because it always had 5,000 mile intervals? Or is it because the engine itself is just a good engine? And, would it had been different if it always had 10,000 mile intervals over the life of the vehicle? I guess I’ll never know, but Toyota does recommend 10,000 intervals across their entire fleet nowadays (under normal conditions).

First ever 10,000 mile oil change interval, and first ever oil analysis. Looks pretty good. Absolutely ZERO makeup oil added. Mixture of 70% highway driving and 30% around town/shorter trips. About 2 months of this interval was during winter/freezing temps, the remainder was warm weather. Pretty pleased overall that the engine seems very solid at 98,500 miles. Not sure if I’ll do another 10,000 change - I usually keep them to 5,000 miles - but I may give it one more try, as I am running the Mobil1 EP once again.

Filter was a Fram Ultra Guard. Might post pictures of the filter because it looks great (well made).
Thanks for the report .

Here’s some pictures of that Fram Ultra Guard.

I bought it at Walmart for $10? Or was it $12? I can’t remember, but I do remember opening it up in the store and someone had replaced the Ultra Guard with a cheaper looking filter. So I grabbed another off the shelf and sure enough, it was a totally different looking filter.

Must say I really “liked” this filter…the look of it, the construction. I mean, here I am getting all nostalgic over a filter, but the thing just seemed “good”.

Anyway, after 10,000 miles it looked as if it could go another 10,000 easy - which I guess shouldn’t be a surprise, it’s a 20,000 mile filter.
Thanks again .

Back