2015 odyssey

Hi everyone

So I started getting a grinding noise when the wheels are turned sharp left or right, when accelerating from a stop.

It is definitely on the driver's side of the front by the engine and trans.

My first thought is drivers side axle or cv shaft.

Has anyone used GSP cv shafts from RockAuto?
Not too keen on going back to OEM given it did not last to 145k kms.

Thanks for your input
It's a 2015 honda odyssey.

I would have a look at the CV boots to see if they are cracked first. Did you get anything serviced recently? Maybe there is a stone in between the rotor and metal shield. How many miles on the van?

Have you checked the CV boots for any tears? OEM will usually last a long time, but any CV joint will fail if the boot breaks, which allows grease to get out and dirt/debris to get in. That will kill a CV joint quickly if not caught in time.

Typically a CV joint will make noise when the vehicle is turning, and will be loudest under acceleration.

Reactions: JC1
I would have a look at the CV boots to see if they are cracked first. Did you get anything serviced recently? Maybe there is a stone in between the rotor and metal shield. How many miles on the van?
145k kms on the van
No tears that I can see

Didn’t you just replace your CV joints?

Didn’t you just replace your CV joints?

Not yet.....I was putting it off to the new year.

Have the breaks been serviced? When was the last time you had the pads changed? Are you able to remove the front wheels and inspect yourself?

To answer your question. I have a left front GSP CV on both of my J-Series cars. They appear well built and work as they should. Probably 30,000 miles on the TL and its just fine. The Accord I just replaced a few months back so it doesn't have a pile of miles on it yet.

To answer your question. I have a left front GSP CV on both of my J-Series cars. They appear well built and work as they should. Probably 30,000 miles on the TL and its just fine. The Accord I just replaced a few months back so it doesn't have a pile of miles on it yet.
Thanks. I was wondering. Everyone on the odyssey forums thinks aftermarket will only last a few months and they are garbage.

My point is the oem should be lasting longer than 90k miles.

My point is the oem should be lasting longer than 90k miles.
You'd be lucky if the aftermarket axle lasted more than 2-3 years/30K. All of the aftermarket axles, if they even work correctly, use neoprene boots for the outer joint (instead of thermoplastic). The boots tend to have a very short life.

Back