2015 Mazda CX-9 AWD 3.7L V6

Hi,

Will be looking at this car tomorrow being sold by the original owner with 45k miles on it.

Any trouble spots with these?

I noticed the gas mileage seems a bit low with a rating of 22mpg highway.

It’s the Mazda version of the Ford Edge, just built in Japan vs the U.S. - one sore spot is the water pump, it’s chain driven. Same 3.7L V6 as a Explorer/Taurus cop car.
Yes, the WP is internal and is driven by the timing chain. There is a channel that is supposed to direct any leaking coolant to outside the block, but you must regularly check it for signs of leakage and monitor the coolant level.

The 3.7 is also quite thirsty. I would go up one model year and get the Mazda SkyActiv 2.5T.

Last edited:
Ack, didn't know about that! All years of the 2.5T? How common?

(And to be pedantic and annoying, I must point out that there would only be one cylinder head.) 😉

It’s starting to happen quite a bit.

It’s starting to happen quite a bit.
Not good ... I wonder if the 2.5T in the CX-5 is also affected.

It’s the Mazda version of the Ford Edge, just built in Japan vs the U.S. - one sore spot is the water pump, it’s chain driven. Same 3.7L V6 as a Explorer/Taurus cop car.
In all honesty I'd gladly take a Japanese built car over anything I've seen in Amurika for quite some time...

In all honesty I'd gladly take a Japanese built car over anything I've seen in Amurika for quite some time...
I dunno - the Ford-based CX-9 will offer better build quality(it’s made in Hiroshima, Japan vs. Oakville, Ontario), a different interior(it’ll use Mazda’s Panasonic or Fujitsu Ten infotainment vs. Ford Sync/MyFord Touch) but the drivetrain issues are still there.

The Mazda-based ones are a vast improvement on the quality side.

Back