2015 Ford Explorer Police a/c wont take full charge

A/C was working just not very cold. Thinking it might be low or freon, I vacuumed the system for 2 hours, then charged from a half full tank. Sticker says it takes 26 oz but could only get 16 oz in before it wouldn't take any more. Next day I try to add another 10 oz but near the end, the high side pressure goes over 400, high speed fan kicks in and compressor starts cycling and pressure drops to about 300 and this keeps repeating. Low pressure seems high as well at 60-70 psi. Outside temp around 95. Vent temps warm. Does this seem like an airflow problem across the condenser? Expansion valve problem?

These have a 2 speed fan arrangement, Low Speed is BOTH fans running at half speed & High Speed is BOTH fans running at full speed.....Unless the PI models differ from civilian models??

If only one fan works on High....Start checking fuses & relays (Has 3). Also knock on the dead fan motor to see if comes back to life.

Low Speed should kick on long before 300psi....I'm guessing 200-250psi.

qL7vArs.png

Yes it could also be too much oil. If "repaired" before, all bets are off.

Is the high side port where you are measuring before or after the condenser? If condenser is blocked you may have high pressure on the inlet side but the sensor that controls the fan is on the outlet side.

Were you hooked up both sides of the system when evaluating? Did you purge the hose to gauge manifold to refrigerant tank? Stopped up expansion device will cause a low suction pressure. 400lb high side and 60 lb suction with 10 oz of refrigerant short air in system. The only way to tell how deep a vacuum isn't looking at a manifold it's a micron gauge.

Last edited:
Back