2015 Dodge Durango AWD V6 rental review

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
While the wife's Charger is in the shop for some bumper damage that happened about a month ago (not at fault) she's in a black on black 2015 Durango V6 with the latest UConnect and leather.

Initial impressions:

- The eight speed transmission is delightful, I was quite happy with the programming and the gas mileage so far has been exceptional. My only gripe would be the lack of "creep" from a stop when you release the brake. You need to apply the pedal to get much in the way of movement.

- The seats are of good quality with plenty of support and the seating surfaces are excellent.

- The interior materials are all soft touch and of high quality. The dash is not insanely deep like older Dodge vehicles, which is a welcome improvement. The digital/analog cluster is also nice and has a variety of modes to suit your preference.

- The UConnect system is the same as in my SRT-8, it is excellent.

- The brakes are fantastic and modulate very well.

- The steering seems to be weak on the self-centre side, which makes you feel like you are having to provide a bit more guidance than should be required when driving down a straight stretch of road.

- The back-up camera is clear and has the moving direction lines and works well in the dark.

- The wheel feels a little thin for my taste and has some stitching that you can feel around the crossmember. The controls are well laid out and easy to remember but the discomfort of the stitching takes away from that.

- The interior is quiet at speed and the ride is excellent.

- Blind spots are minimal, though I find the pillars a bit more intrusive than I'd like.

- The kids love the dual independent screens on the back of the front seats. They have a myriad of individual inputs and they can also share the blue ray player that is in the centre console.

- The "knob" shifter takes some getting used to and I don't like it as much as I do a traditional lever.

Overall we like it quite a bit. My wife is EXTREMELY fond of it and I think it may be hard to get her back into the '06 Charger after this
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
You are describing what must be a complete remake of past models. Is this going to be a trend or just a one model deal?

I think so. She test drove an earlier model yesterday (loaded) and she despised it compared to this one
21.gif

My mom has the Chrysler crossover. I can't think of the name right now. It's got awd. Every option but leather. Heated wheel and seat. Pentastar engine.

I drive it here and there and Chrysler is really building great vehicles. I can't say enough really.
I know we have the haters here and I couldn't care less. My experience with the, has been nothing but positive.
The Durango is a nice ride.

Call the bank.

It's just the Dodge version of the Grand Cherokee.

The lack of creep when you release the brake might be the hill start assist, you can turn that off in U-Connect.

Odd they use the shift knob in Dodge and Jeep gets the electronic shift lever.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

The sophisticated four wheel drive air suspension in the JGC would beg to differ.

The lack of creep when you release the brake might be the hill start assist, you can turn that off in U-Connect.

Odd they use the shift knob in Dodge and Jeep gets the electronic shift lever.

It creeps, just not very much. And yes, it is basically the same as the Jeep, but IMHO, it looks better. Similar to the Tribute/Escape thing.

I would imagine there are some feature differences between the two as well.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Overall we like it quite a bit. My wife is EXTREMELY fond of it and I think it may be hard to get her back into the '06 Charger after this
smirk.gif

Stretched version of the same chassis as the Grand Cherokee (WK2) 2WD. My wife and I really like her 2011 Grand Cherokee, and the ONE thing I find "lacking" is the NAG-1 5-speed paired with the Pentastar compared to the ZF-8. And if you had told me in 2011 that some day I'd complain about a NAG-1, I'd have told you you were insane. That's just a sign of how good the ZF-8 is, and how much the 3 extra gears help keep the little V6 on top of the power curve in a heavy vehicle.

Back up cameras may be standard mandatory equipment very soon.
I almost did a lane change into someone pulling an empty boat trailer the other day.
Now I'm thinking lane departure warning might not be a bad idea.

Unlike the old guy in the video, I would hate to lane change into the side of a motorcycle or bicycle in my blind spot.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Whenever anyone describes anything as "delightful", I stop reading.

Then why did you bother to take the time to post in my thread?
21.gif

Nice review. The new Durango is a great vehicle, extremely comfortable, loads of space for my stuff with great gas mileage. We always reserve it when we are out east for projects. The space in the back makes setup and testing absolutely perfect for me. To bad the one we rent is white,, still looks nice though..
frown.gif

Bitog is delightful
smile.gif

Looks like a solid ride..inside pic is very nice. I just have heard bad things re: alot of repairs etc..i guess time will tell with Chrysler. I think it looks very nice though.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
This is the cockpit (stock photo):
2015-Dodge-Durango-interior.jpg

And the vehicle looks pretty much like this:
D-PX8-15.png

Great looking SUV on the outside. Interior has too much chrome, IMO. That seems to be the latest trend though. Even the wife's truck has plenty of it, and it tends to reflect itself in the windshield/windows on a sunny day.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Great looking SUV on the outside. Interior has too much chrome, IMO.

If that qualities as "too much chrome" then I think you would have a stroke sitting in my '66 Polara... or maybe your eyes would just do this:
crazy2.gif
Granted, most of it's not technically chrome but stainless steel. And in the case of my long-departed 300L, it was machine-turned stainless steel, and even more of it than the Polara. Seemed like acres. I really miss the use of chrome and brightwork, so many cars seem painfully flat these days.

There was another interior shot of the Polara I hoped I had on P-bucket, but its not there. This will have to do:
F03ECBD1-8C5C-44B2-868E-BCD573B3D1F7_zpskajpi6ro.jpg

Most of the chrome on the interior of that Durango is a satin finish and doesn't cause annoying glares and reflections - even in the AZ sun.

Most of the chrome on the interior of that Durango is a satin finish and doesn't cause annoying glares and reflections - even in the AZ sun.

That is something that manufacturers seem to take a lot more care with now than they used to. If you look at that photo of my old Polara, I can tell you that only two items routinely cause bright flashes in my face, but when they do, its really bad: the chrome wiper arm, and the chrome horn-ring crossbar. The wiper arm is by far the worst since its a big wide flat surface right near the line of sight.

Originally Posted By: Danno

The sophisticated four wheel drive air suspension in the JGC would beg to differ.

The 3rd Gen Durangos and GCs share the same assembly line, frames (although the Durango is longer to accommodate the third row) and power trains.

My Durango was my first ever Dodge product. I love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back