2015 Chevy 1500

Just purchased a new to me 2015 Chevy Silverado 1500. Has the 5.3L engine in it with the six speed tranny and 3.42 gears. Love the truck.

I have been running Mobil 1 AFE 0w-20 with a AC Delco PF63e. Truck is a daily driver, but tows around 8,000 lbs about once or twice or month around 200 miles. Setup is an old Ford tractor and large trailer.

is the Mobil 1 robust enough to handle the stress and heat of this on the engine? When towing engine seems like it’s under a lot of stress.
Thanks so much.

Your problems are bigger than the oil.

That rear axle ratio of 3.42 seems too tall (numerically low) for the load you're pulling, and 8,000 pounds might exceed the rated tow capacity. That is the base "half-ton" model, after all. Traditionally, towing a serious load required something like a 4.11 ratio ("shorter").

The engine is struggling to accelerate with that heavy trailer because the gearing is meant for economy, not ease of pulling. I think you're at real risk of tearing up the engine or drivetrain, and no lubricant will help that.

If you have an overdrive shutoff switch to keep the transmission from going into overdrive when towing, use it.

Your truck wasn't built for the demand towing that load places on it.

Last edited:
IIRC the 5.3 likes to spin. It isn’t going to pull hills at 2k like a big block. Rear end ratio only matters when taking off, the rest of the time its not in first, right? If the engine wants to turn 3k or 4k on a hill, the rear end ratio is not (much of) an issue here (only if the gearing has has one between desired gear ratio). I agree, 3.42 is taller than I would have used, but the six speed still does have a 4:1 first gear ratio, and I forget now but I think that was the towing ratio for that year (base was 3.08?).

Not sure I would worry, should have oil coolers on everything. Just go slower and the engine won’t be working as hard.

A 3.73 rear end would help out that engine a lot.

I have a 3.42 in my Silverado, and a 3.73 in my Sierra. Both have 5.3 engines.

When it comes to towing, the Sierra gets the job every time.

I am a firm believer in spinning a SI engine higher revs when towing. I had a 6.2L in my Silverado 1500 with a 3.73 rear end, and I would still lock out 6th gear when towing. Temps stay lower, and there is just less stress on everything when you keep the revs up.

IIRC the 5.3 likes to spin. It isn’t going to pull hills at 2k like a big block. Rear end ratio only matters when taking off, the rest of the time its not in first, right? If the engine wants to turn 3k or 4k on a hill, the rear end ratio is not (much of) an issue here (only if the gearing has has one between desired gear ratio). I agree, 3.42 is taller than I would have used, but the six speed still does have a 4:1 first gear ratio, and I forget now but I think that was the towing ratio for that year (base was 3.08?).

Not sure I would worry, should have oil coolers on everything. Just go slower and the engine won’t be working as hard.
That’s correct. The 3.42 is actually the towing rear end. The 3.08 was stock. The 3.42 is rated for something like 11,000 pounds.

Your problems are bigger than the oil.

That rear axle ratio of 3.42 seems too tall (numerically low) for the load you're pulling, and 8,000 pounds might exceed the rated tow capacity. That is the base "half-ton" model, after all. Traditionally, towing a serious load required something like a 4.11 ratio ("shorter").

The engine is struggling to accelerate with that heavy trailer because the gearing is meant for economy, not ease of pulling. I think you're at real risk of tearing up the engine or drivetrain, and no lubricant will help that.

If you have an overdrive shutoff switch to keep the transmission from going into overdrive when towing, use it.

Your truck wasn't built for the demand towing that load places on it.
Great points and I completely agree a shorter ratio would be much better. The odd thing is the 3.42 is rated for something like 11,000 pounds and is their towing ratio. I think stock in this model year was 3.08x. I do use overdrive while towing and trans temp and engine temp all stay in a pretty good range.

The importance of the final rear end ratio is much less important when you have a manually controllable 6 speed automatic transmission. In fact it’s kind of old man stuff. Stay with the rated tow limit and there will not be any problems.

Last edited:
Great points and I completely agree a shorter ratio would be much better. The odd thing is the 3.42 is rated for something like 11,000 pounds and is their towing ratio. I think stock in this model year was 3.08x. I do use overdrive while towing and trans temp and engine temp all stay in a pretty good range.
There is nothing odd about it. Some of the comments here are more applicable to grampa’s old Chevy with 4:11 gears, 4 speed and peak torque at 1800 rpm. ;)

Last edited:
I would up to at least 5W-30 if towing, probably Mobil 1 0W-40 which is a thin 40 grade. Or go with a 15W-40 if towing often and climate allows, which MS certainly does.

It should be rated for 9200 pounds with the 3.42 gear. That's what mine is rated at with same engine and rear axle as yours. I tow a 6500 pound travel trailer and probably another 1000 pounds of gear, etc. I always run in tow/haul mode when towing and have no issues. I ran Mobil 1 AFE 0W20 for one OCI without issue.

It should be rated for 9200 pounds with the 3.42 gear. That's what mine is rated at with same engine and rear axle as yours. I tow a 6500 pound travel trailer and probably another 1000 pounds of gear, etc. I always run in tow/haul mode when towing and have no issues. I ran Mobil 1 AFE 0W20 for one OCI without issue.
Assuming CCSB and non-max trailer package, yep:

4WD:
Crew Cab, 5’ 8” box7,100 lbs. / 3,221 kg. – 4.3L (3.42 axle)
6,200 lbs. / 2,812 kg. – 5.3L (3.08 axle)
9,200 lbs. / 4,173 kg. – 5.3L (3.42 axle)
9,200 lbs. / 4,173 kg. – 6.2L (3.23 axle)
Crew Cab, 5’ 8” box w/ Max Trailering Package10,900 lbs. / 4,944 kg. – 5.3L (3.73 axle)
11,800 lbs. / 5,352 kg. – 6.2L (3.42 axle)

I know what it is rated at but that's too much trailer for that truck. His payload is no more than 1400 pounds-or there about.

so much hysteria on here. as long as you are within your payload and towing capacity, you are fine. whatever oil meets gm spec is also fine. you can also buy a cheap oil filter and drink cheap coffee and you will be fine. you could even get really crazy and not wear a COVID mask, a condom, a motorcycle helmet, and a protective athletic cup while you drive your truck and you will still be fine.

sheesh people!

Yes, that’s correct. Forgot it was 9,200. Thanks for the reminder.

Assuming CCSB and non-max trailer package, yep:

4WD:
Crew Cab, 5’ 8” box7,100 lbs. / 3,221 kg. – 4.3L (3.42 axle)
6,200 lbs. / 2,812 kg. – 5.3L (3.08 axle)
9,200 lbs. / 4,173 kg. – 5.3L (3.42 axle)
9,200 lbs. / 4,173 kg. – 6.2L (3.23 axle)
Crew Cab, 5’ 8” box w/ Max Trailering Package10,900 lbs. / 4,944 kg. – 5.3L (3.73 axle)
11,800 lbs. / 5,352 kg. – 6.2L (3.42 axle)
Here is a UOA that I had done on Valvoline High Mileage Synthetic 0w20. About 120 miles of towing my camper during this OCI.

Attachments

• UOA1.pdf
    97.8 KB · Views: 29
Rule of thumb I've always been told was to stay within 80% of your tow rating to account for any extra weight. 8k is sitting at about 87%. Having previously owned a 2014 Silverado, those 5.3s really need to rev. It'll sound like it's struggling even if it's technically not. As long as it has oil and oil pressure, it'll be fine. Also keep an eye on the trans temp.

Back