2014 VW Touareg TDI HPL Euro 5w30

Touareg just recently started needing oil top offs between oil changes and initially thought it was due to my boneheaded decision to let the dealer do a BG engine flush at the 100k service (completed at 99,143) when I had the transmission fluid changed. I was in a time crunch due to to a trip and was having them do the scheduled oil change instead of doing it myself. They claimed they use a vacuum process to suck the flush back out and figured I'd give it a shot. After about 2k miles the oil gauge showed the level was significantly low, about 40% down on the guage, so I topped it off and changed the oil at 103,561k when it started to show low again thinking there was some residue left breaking down the oil. Previously I had been running AMSOIL (obviously the dealer put in their oil at that change), but this time I switched to HPL Euro 5w30. Again about 2500-3000 miles in the guage shows low and I have to top it off so I watch it carefully and change the oil at 110,135 and send in a sample along with a VOA for good measure. The report is blank for miles on sample not sure if the wife forgot to fill it in on the slip or what. I could have sworn I had sent in a sample about halfway through ownership (the previous sample they have listed is when we bought the Touareg used in 2018) so I screwed up there but at least I did have a reference point and shows the engine is healthy.

Unless a guru sees something I am missing I see no statistical sheer to speak of, no fuel dilution either leading to burn off (and that would have caused sheer anyway), no smoke of any kind from the tailpipes, nothing significant in metals to show ring failure, etc. I did a complete and detailed undercarriage inspection when I obtained the sample and there were no visible leaks and I would think a little over 2 quarts leaking out would be fairly obvious.

Next step is to pull out my trusty dipstick and check if the computer just loosing detail. I tested it with a previous gen Q7 dipstick I bought after seeing a post on clubtouareg when we first bought it.

14 Treg HPL Euro 5w30 110k.JPG

HPL Euro 5w30 VOA.JPG

Stay with a chosen oil 3-4 intervals. I'm not sure you can decide much yet.

Fe looks high by my standards, but could be the engine not the oil choice.

OTOH I'm not searching out an appropriate meme for Blacktone's comments. I'll leave that to @TiGeo and others. They are experts in this field.

Switch back to AMSOIL?

It started burning on VW oil (Mobil1).

Stay with a chosen oil 3-4 intervals. I'm not sure you can decide much yet.

Fe looks high by my standards, but could be the engine not the oil choice.

??

Iron is below average and well below previous sample, baseline oil has almost no iron in it.

Leakdown is not a bad idea, I guess it's possible there was buildup on the rings sealing compression and the flush broke it free and now there's a gap.

??

Iron is below average and well below previous sample, baseline oil has almost no iron in it.
Blackstone is not a true average of all similar or same units if that's what you mean. What is 30 + 54 / 2? = 42 Meaningless for comparison. That said yes it's not terrible and that's my point, it should continue to improve with any oil (Amsoil or HPL) if you stay with it for 3-4 intervals.

A flush should always be well drained and preferably a low cost oil ran for a very short while afterward.

Back